Brass Nipples!

Church Rocks Video

A ride called Church Rocks gets little respect from many locals, but it is the kind of trail I like to do to sweat out some built-up toxins. It's not too hard, with great flow and beautiful scenery.

I made a video of my (solo) ride there from Monday. I've uploaded a putfile video, but their 25 MB limit resulted in a lower quality video than I wanted, so I'm working on a bigger file for YouTube.

This is rumored to be the first trail that the Harris Brothers made before their masterpieces at Gooseberry and Little Creek. The flowy connector section was made by Glenn Ames, the original owner of the Red Rock Bicycle Co.

I personally like the riding with my shadow scenes I got at the end of the ride as the sun was setting. Let me know what you think.

Click here to watch Church Rocks 25 MB, 320x230

Click here for the YouTube version 86 MB, 480x340 (disappointing quality)
    Last edited by Bob the Wheelbuilder; 11-15-2006 at 06:23 PM.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

Team Sanchez
    It's true. Church Rocks is usually last on my list of places to ride, but if that trail were located anywhere else in the US, it would be considered an epic. We need to get you out to the South shore to do some filming. That helmet cam is sweet!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Very nice, but your snow sure looks dirty, not like up here.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member

Me and my shadow.....

Looks good Bob. I love the way you FF through those sand pits. Wish I could do that when I was riding. LOL.

Did you repeat stuff on that loop. It seems like when I did that ride a few years ago there was only a little singletrack before you got to the actual Church rocks.. then you did a little loop up around the rocks and you were done. I stayed and dinked around on the rocks a bit to extend but it seemed like a pretty short trail. Did I miss some?

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob the Wheelbuilder
    ...it is the kind of trail I like to do to sweat out some built-up toxins.
    Just go easy on the Coke there, Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    ...if that trail were located anywhere else in the US, it would be considered an epic.
    Lol. You're speedo is cutting off circulation to your brain.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Team Sanchez
    Krob, sounds like you may have only hit the 6 mile loop. There is another section called Prospector, that adds another 6 or so miles as an out and back. Turns the ride into a big lollipop. It includes a couple of interesting sections, including the one below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by El Chingon; 11-15-2006 at 04:36 PM.

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chingon
    It's true. Church Rocks is usually last on my list of places to ride, but if that trail were located anywhere else in the US, it would be considered an epic.
    The whole Church Rocks/Prospector trail is a legitimate hour and twenty minute ride; it's more like an hour and a half if you go through the tunnel under I-15 and back. I think the tunnel is a highlight that everyone should do at least once. You're essentially riding by braille toward a little dot of light about 150 yards away when you start out.

We do have an embarrasment of riches here. I am also of the opinion that if Snow Canyon State Park was in an eastern state, it would be a National Park, but maybe that's just me.

I was kinda speaking metaphorically about the toxins. Stuff more like the emotional baggage from work than the caffeine, but hey, it works for that too, I guess.

I rode the JEM with my helmet cam today. I'll be working on that video next. I've got to start riding with partners so I can get someone in there besides my shadow.

Looks like YouTube recompresses the video. I think the first one is actually more watchable. I was hoping since they allowed up to 100 MB files, the quality would be better.

I guess since it's free, I can't complain, but I'd better figure out how to trim things down and compress more efficiently or get my own site if I want to put much stuff on the web.
    Last edited by Bob the Wheelbuilder; 11-15-2006 at 06:21 PM.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice, thanks for posting the vid, Dr. House. Is that Credence you got playing?

\|/Home of the Braves\|/
    I liked the "me and my shadow" sequence. Kewl.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Brass Nipples!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrdr98
    Nice, thanks for posting the vid, Dr. House. Is that Credence you got playing?
    First CCR, then Arkana.