mtbr member

Check out the 5 spot MTBR reviews

Interesting what people will do to prove the Spot wrong. Although the X5 sounds like a great bike. Ride what you like and be happy with it, not necessary to justify the difference.
    Last edited by jedoaks; 04-24-2004 at 01:00 PM.

Rolling
    This is what i found entertaining.

maybe the banner was random but evertime I went there it was the same.

Baked Alaskan
    I got the EW banner too, sounds like a conspiricy. But what's with the bonehead posting an X5 review, if I wanted an X5 I go to the X5 review page. At least he didn't give it one flaming turd out of spite or anyhting like that.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    I got the EW banner too, sounds like a conspiricy. But what's with the bonehead posting an X5 review, if I wanted an X5 I go to the X5 review page. At least he didn't give it one flaming turd out of spite or anyhting like that.
    Maybe just a dumb mistake? (sorta like the knuckleheads who reply-all to distributed emails)

As for the EW banner. They probably pay to have it pop-up nearly everywhere. It's their money. We all know the 5 Spot rocks.
    Countdown to Whistler 2012...
    July can't come fast enough!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Will you anal Turner guys ever lighten up???

I saw the review and I think the guy just posted it there because I don't believe there is a space for the X-5 yet. Probably just an honest mistake, and I enjoyed the guy's comments and he lives close to me so I'm going to try to hook up with him to check out his X-5. As far as the banner goes, I think it's there for ALL of the review pages. Ellsworth must be a major sponsor of MTBR.
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems a lot of the non Turner boards get flooded with Turner input. I don't have a problem with it because I think Turner is a great company / bike, but when it goes the other way you people seem to take great exception to it. Guys (and Gals) the 5 Spot is a great bike and Turner is a great company, but it's not like they're curing cancer or anything. It's just a mountain bike, not a religion. Get over yourselves.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by CraterMaker
    I saw the review and I think the guy just posted it there because I don't believe there is a space for the X-5 yet. Probably just an honest mistake, and I enjoyed the guy's comments and he lives close to me so I'm going to try to hook up with him to check out his X-5. As far as the banner goes, I think it's there for ALL of the review pages. Ellsworth must be a major sponsor of MTBR.
    Maybe it's just me, but it seems a lot of the non Turner boards get flooded with Turner input. I don't have a problem with it because I think Turner is a great company / bike, but when it goes the other way you people seem to take great exception to it. Guys (and Gals) the 5 Spot is a great bike and Turner is a great company, but it's not like they're curing cancer or anything. It's just a mountain bike, not a religion. Get over yourselves.
    Oh I dunno..I think it was an honest question, about the X-5 post no? (I had already assumed the EW adds were everwhere...it's been done before, hence my comment about it being their money, so let em.)
    BTW other than EW, what boards are getting a lot of Turner input? (I don't frequent the others too much) WBTB? that seems appropriate to me so long as it is in response to a relavent question. Looking at the post count here, it seems to me most of the rabid Turner hoards stay close to home.

One other thought, if one shouldn't rant in one's own forum, where should one do it? It's not like someone was bashing another brand...just discussing that the review was misplaced. Maybe you missed it when some folks were posting bogus reviews to slant the ratings averages. It's not the case here though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You make a good point about the bogus reviews, but he did give it a 5-5 rating so I don't think that will hurt. The cross board activity I was mainly referring to was the Ellsworth bashing that was going on several weeks ago. I realize that several people have issues with Tony, but it seemed a lot of the people that were dumping on the Ellsworth owners had never actually owned an Ellsworth. It was getting a bit old, and quite frankly rude. When the poster made what seemed like an honest mistake and he was referred to as a 'bonehead', among other things, it looked like the Turner gang might be going at it again.
    There's not a lot of the general population that mountain bike, we have more in common with the owner of ANY brand of bike than we do with people that don't ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well No Ventana Review section for 2004

I think the guy just posted on the five spot area because there is no 2004 Ventana review area.

This website is really cool, but it is not exactly complete. I ride a GT, and there is no GT forum and i think that really sucks......if they want to call it GT/Pacific, fine with me, but GT is still showing up at interbike with new products and a lot of people ride GT so why no forum?

Turner is a great forum. People are really active and share great information, so much so, that i was partially convinced by the folks contributing to the turner section to put money down on a 5 spot (I will post pictures when i get it ).........

so to the webmaster and managers of this website, let's try and cover all of the bases when it comes to bike companies and places for reviews etc......

ok, that is my semi-ranting feedback.......later, i am going riding

Lay off the Levers
    You make a good point about the bogus reviews, but he did give it a 5-5 rating so I don't think that will hurt. The cross board activity I was mainly referring to was the Ellsworth bashing that was going on several weeks ago. I realize that several people have issues with Tony, but it seemed a lot of the people that were dumping on the Ellsworth owners had never actually owned an Ellsworth. It was getting a bit old, and quite frankly rude. When the poster made what seemed like an honest mistake and he was referred to as a 'bonehead', among other things, it looked like the Turner gang might be going at it again.
    There's not a lot of the general population that mountain bike, we have more in common with the owner of ANY brand of bike than we do with people that don't ride.
    If you can stomach it, go back and reread the endless tripe on the EW boards and you'll see it's really only two or three of individuals on either side...90% of the Turner and EW owners steer clear of the fray. IMO at this point, this has less to do with T vs. E as it does a few who like to feed their need for an internet fragfest.

As for the reviews, aahhh no biggie, MTBR is pretty good about pulling down improper reviews, given time. I'm sure it'll end up in the Ventana review list sooner or later. Still IMO it wasn't a good idea to post it there if the reason was there was no X-5 spot yet. The EW reviews were up for months before the Turner list was added. It would have been nasty if 5 spot reviews were cropping up on the Id list.

As for me, I steer clear of the Ventana forum...after seeing the X-5 pix there, I almost wet my pants. I just can't look at them without plotting to buy one. Only road bikes should be that prurdy.

mtbr member

BZ, you're right about it mainly being a few individuals,

[QUOTE=Bikezilla]If you can stomach it, go back and reread the endless tripe on the EW boards and you'll see it's really only two or three of individuals on either side...90% of the Turner and EW owners steer clear of the fray. IMO at this point, this has less to do with T vs. E as it does a few who like to feed their need for an internet fragfest.

but the sad part is, one of those individuals is now a Turner owner. I'm not trying to be rude, but that sucks.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Turners are the best! Get over it....

They do everything perfect. Got it? Kidding. I get a kick how defensive us Turner owners get about a stupid bike frame. Oh, well, we could be stuck on old bikes like one guy on here.

Jaybo

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    My impressions are that Turner has a loyal fan base and the advertising relies heavily on word of mouth in certain circles. I rarely see an ad for Turner and when I do, it practically says nothing. I bought a Turner based on how you guys felt about them. I was pretty skeptical about how much some of you went into how perfect the rides are, but now I know it's not hype. I haven't had this much fun on a bike since I started riding.
    And MTBR seems to have a bandwagon force when it comes to bike brands. I noticed this over the years at various gatherings. It seems it was Santa Cruz, Ellsworth, Titus, and now Turner that was "in-vogue" for mtbr folks at various times.

I'm so intrigued by the whole thing I feel like building up a 5-spot, riding it and my Id over the next year on the same trails and seeing in the end if I really like one over the other. I bet the answer would be, I like riding over what bike I'm on. I feel the draw of the current pulling but I know I can resist.

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    And MTBR seems to have a bandwagon force when it comes to bike brands. I noticed this over the years at various gatherings. It seems it was Santa Cruz, Ellsworth, Titus, and now Turner that was "in-vogue" for mtbr folks at various times.

I'm so intrigued by the whole thing I feel like building up a 5-spot, riding it and my Id over the next year on the same trails and seeing in the end if I really like one over the other. I bet the answer would be, I like riding over what bike I'm on. I feel the draw of the current pulling but I know I can resist.
    Could it be that from time to time one company just happens to have what most folks are looking for, hence one brand's domination for a period until the others ramp up? Notice how recently geometry configurations have changed to match the more popular idea of a trail bike? (slacker HT, Steeper ST, medium BB height, longer travel)

Maybe SC hit the sweet spot with the SL and Hcklr, and EW clearly has a strong follwing with the Truth. Is it really blind bandwagoning or people gravitating towards what they want?

BTW if you have the urge to buy an extra frame just to see if it's really all that...uh,...could I have it when your're experiment is done?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I know where I live in the San Francisco Bay Area that for years the most common bikes I see on the trail in the following order are 1) Santa Cruz, 2) Santa Cruz & 3) Santa Cruz. Seriously, they have and continued to dominate the area (no reason for them not to, they build a great bike). Outside of Santa Cruz, I see Fisher, Trek, Specialized, and a few botique brands. The only Turner I have ever seen in person is the one I ride, maybe 1 or 2 Titus and never a hammerhead. Maybe, I just don't ride in the right places!!!?

Baked Alaskan

you're an idiot

If it offered some kind of comparison to a 5-spot cool, but just randomly dropping reviews because there isn't a designated page for the x5 yet is stupid. Post it on the Salty page until they get an x5 page up. The x5 is basically an evolution of the Salty design.

Or maybe post it in every review page on this board, "because I don't believe there is a space for the X-5 yet."

And the EW remark is a joke, I can't believe I actually have to clarify that. Since the founder of this site rides a 5-spot himself, I doubt any conspiricy is present. Some people...

I could give a rats ass about EW any other bike right now. I've found the perfect ride for me and I'm quite happy with it.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

rr
    I don't do PC

... and if we just ...

But you wouldn't have to wear a flak jacket and bag on your head while you were on the Turner.

mtbr member

Hype is bad for any bike

My impression is that the forum is small enough that it takes a relatively small number of zealots to sway away the perception of what is the current "greatest" bike on the planet.

I am very convinced that Santa Cruz, Ellsworth, Titus, Turner, Intense, Ventana and another dozen botique bikes, and many larger production bikes ride about the same and that the differences are very small, very dependent on shock and fork type and set up, very dependent on general set up (seat height and position, stem length and bar width), and are very hard to figure out objectively.

The hype surrounding any bike is detrimental to the forum, because it is based on a false assumption, that there is a uber-alles bike, the king supreme of all bikes. Hype provides a lot of superlatives and really little useful information.
    Last edited by Davide; 04-25-2004 at 09:47 PM.

ajr
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    John should have started an X5 reveiw,but after owning seven Turners I know his review is correct.The ride,manufacture,and finish of the X5 is superb.