Ridin' in iRie meditation

New question here. Chain length question? 2-ring setup

I've always used the largest chainring to largest cog method for chain length. Now that I'm running a two-ring setup up front, I'm wondering if this method still works or is there some reason that it won't.

When I dropped the big ring from my crank, I left the chain length as it was without really thinking about it. It's time to replace the chain, and now I see that I never accounted for the ring change.

All that said, I can't say that I've had any trouble shifting, so maybe it's a non-issue. Anyone know the rule for chain length for 3-ring v. 2-ring setups?

No, that's not phonetic
    Let all the air out of your shock, or remove the coil from your shock. Let the bike sag to near bottomout. Now do the big-big-plus-two-links method. This takes the "chain growth" of the suspension linkage into account.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    Thanks Cheeze, worked like a charm!

... I guess you won't be
    Beware, careful with that method. The furthest the axle is from the main pivot is often at the mid-point of the suspension travel - especially on rocker arm equipped single pivot bikes like Turners. But the add-to link trick will work to take that into account. Which essentially means you don't even have to bother with removing your shock.

Just be sure to add-in an extra extra link into the mix, if using a SRAM quick link style chain [it's really plus 3 links] - you'll be too short otherwise.....you'll see...you can always take out a link later, if needed!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

mtbr member
    A lot will depend on what 2 ring setup you are using, most commonly 36t, 22t but if you are using a bigger big ring your ratio will be too different to accept the chain. I have always used the "add 2 links" method without removing the shock and never had any trouble, just make sure you are adding 2 complete links not just the fish plate and next connection - as for SRAM connecting split link if you are using one you only add 1 extra link not 3 as the connecting link is a link = 2 links done. Hope that helps.
    God....whatever i feel like doing!!!