mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Chain guide recomendations for an 08 Spot

I am riding the DH's alot faster lately and I am dropping my chain once or twice a ride. I think it may be time for a chain guide. Anyone running one on a Spot?

FWIW I am running a 2x9 setup with a medium cage X9 rear Der.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've been running 24, 34 & bash with a MRP LRP on my Spot for about 3 years now with great success, and I don't remember ever dropping the chain. Bike rides a bit quieter too. I had to file some of the aluminium from the "boomerang" to create clearance for the granny ring bolts and chain. If you run Truvativ cranks and bb things will be a bit more tricky, but not impossible - let me know. Also look at E-13 DRS or Truvativ ShiftGuide.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CTMTNBIKER
    I've been running 24, 34 & bash with a MRP LRP on my Spot for about 3 years now with great success, and I don't remember ever dropping the chain. Bike rides a bit quieter too. I had to file some of the aluminium from the "boomerang" to create clearance for the granny ring bolts and chain. If you run Truvativ cranks and bb things will be a bit more tricky, but not impossible - let me know. Also look at E-13 DRS or Truvativ ShiftGuide.
    I am running Truvative cranks and BB.

I was looking at the BlackSpire Stinger, it has good reviews and I over half the cost of the MRP LRP. Can you get the MRP LRP without the bashring? I already have a bashring.

http://www.blackspire.com/qs/product/83/5947/263221/0/0

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The problem with the Truvativ setup is there is no spacers to remove from the bb so that you can fit the "boomerang". But there should be enough tolerence built into the GXP bb/crank that you will be able to fit a very thin spacer between drive side bb and frame without everything getting too tight. I run Stylo's so ended up making my own plate to mount the wheel onto out of thin piece of steel (thin aluminium one too flexxy and broke). I'm sure you can probably buy the guide wheel as a seperate item.
    The only other alternative I can suggest is buying an X-type style crank and bb, the chain device of choice, and then probably still modify the boomerang for the granny ring/chain clearance...
    There is one more option but I would not go down that road - get the bb faced until it becomes a 68mm shell. Not a good move if you ask me!

Team Blindspot
    Heim is the way to go. I'm not sure they can be bought any longer. Maybe someone can chime in for sure. Did E-thirteen take Heim over???

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/Stories/110304/
    Astigmatic Visionary

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Heim is the way to go. I'm not sure they can be bought any longer. Maybe someone can chime in for sure. Did E-thirteen take Heim over???

http://www.leelikesbikes.com/Stories/110304/
    Yes, if you are looking for a Heim, you can get one by calling e*thirteen at 978 537 9313. There are some new guides usingt he Heim technology coming, it's just going to take a Liiiiittle bit longer..

Hey, the DRS was the first multi ring system on the market, I think it's still the best, but that's my biased opinion. The stepped "flip flop" roller design has been copied by pretty much everyone at this point, but the DRS still has the fine tuning and brute strength that the other cheaper designs lack. Plus they are 100% made in the USA like all e*thirteen stuff, as opposed to 100% Taiwan for everyone else (in case that matters to you) I've seen guys race DH on them and beat the heck out of them for seasons. Anyways, that's my pitch! LOL
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

mtbr member
    I use the stinger on my rfx and it works awesome, I did have to modify it to work with my raceface cranks though. Raceface crank chainring bolts rub on the stinger guide plate but the trusty dremmell took care of that. I have never dropped the chain since I got it and it is only 30 bucks, can not beat it.
    [SIZE="6"]Abracadabra homes![/SIZE]

striker!
    I've had the e13 DRS on my spot for some time now. Never dropped a chain since I put it on! It has also been very durable, taking more than its fair share of abuse. It also seems to protect the BB area pretty well. My undercarriage used to get pretty worked but with DRS, I have very few dings down there.

I haven't tried the other dual ring systems and I don't think I will. This one has been flawless.
    "flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    Yes, if you are looking for a Heim, you can get one by calling e*thirteen at 978 537 9313. There are some new guides usingt he Heim technology coming, it's just going to take a Liiiiittle bit longer..

Hey, the DRS was the first multi ring system on the market, I think it's still the best, but that's my biased opinion. The stepped "flip flop" roller design has been copied by pretty much everyone at this point, but the DRS still has the fine tuning and brute strength that the other cheaper designs lack. Plus they are 100% made in the USA like all e*thirteen stuff, as opposed to 100% Taiwan for everyone else (in case that matters to you) I've seen guys race DH on them and beat the heck out of them for seasons. Anyways, that's my pitch! LOL
    Hey Dave,
    I emailed e*thirteen looking for a Heim but was told by Philip that the DS was the closest available option. I've been waiting on one for about a month. Do you know what the hold up on the DS is, would the Heim be available sooner, and can you briefly compare these two guides?

Thanks!
    Joe

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Busta Rims
    Hey Dave,
    I emailed e*thirteen looking for a Heim but was told by Philip that the DS was the closest available option. I've been waiting on one for about a month. Do you know what the hold up on the DS is, would the Heim be available sooner, and can you briefly compare these two guides?

Thanks!
    Joe
    Let me talk to him on Monday and see what we can dig up.. The DS is available now, I think..! It should be in stock! We also have some Heim stuff around, it's just not on our pricelist because we've been working on the redesigned systems. I'm sure we could work something out for you. Give me until midday Monday and then shoot Phil an e-mail, ok?

Thanks!

Dave
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

mtbr member
    Let me talk to him on Monday and see what we can dig up.. The DS is available now, I think..! It should be in stock! We also have some Heim stuff around, it's just not on our pricelist because we've been working on the redesigned systems. I'm sure we could work something out for you. Give me until midday Monday and then shoot Phil an e-mail, ok?

Thanks!

Dave
    Yeah Dave,
    Thanks for looking into it! I'll shoot Philp a note tomorrow afternoon.

Joe

mtbr member

Thanks!

Dave
    Hi Dave,
    I sent that note to Philip on Monday, but haven't heard back. What were you able to uncover about the availability for both guides?

Thanks,
    Joe

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Busta Rims
    Hi Dave,
    I sent that note to Philip on Monday, but haven't heard back. What were you able to uncover about the availability for both guides?

Thanks,
    Joe
    Ah crap, I forgot, I'm sorry.

Philip took off for Mt. Ste Anne to do tech support for the World Cup, so he's not in the office now. There are only 3 guys in the office doing everything right now (product QC, assembly, packing, shipping, sales, answering phones, tech support..) so they are SLAMMED.

You can call Jonas at the office (he is probably neck deep over there right so if he doesn't answer, don't hold it against him), or wait for Phil to get back on Tuesday.

I'm in a different office, otherwise I'd take care of you myself!

Dave
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by superstock
    I've had the e13 DRS on my spot for some time now. Never dropped a chain since I put it on! It has also been very durable, taking more than its fair share of abuse. It also seems to protect the BB area pretty well. My undercarriage used to get pretty worked but with DRS, I have very few dings down there.

I haven't tried the other dual ring systems and I don't think I will. This one has been flawless.
    I second what superstock said. I've used three different dual ring systems including a Heim on my 6Pack and the DRS is by far the best I've tried. I use a DRS on my Spot and 6Point and they've worked flawlessly.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

mtbr member
    Ah crap, I forgot, I'm sorry.

Philip took off for Mt. Ste Anne to do tech support for the World Cup, so he's not in the office now. There are only 3 guys in the office doing everything right now (product QC, assembly, packing, shipping, sales, answering phones, tech support..) so they are SLAMMED.

You can call Jonas at the office (he is probably neck deep over there right so if he doesn't answer, don't hold it against him), or wait for Phil to get back on Tuesday.

I'm in a different office, otherwise I'd take care of you myself!

Dave
    No sweat Dave. I'll hang tight until Philip is back in the office.

Thanks,
    Joe

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAPRO
    I second what superstock said. I've used three different dual ring systems including a Heim on my 6Pack and the DRS is by far the best I've tried. I use a DRS on my Spot and 6Point and they've worked flawlessly.
    I would go for the DRS, but the cost difference is about $100 between it and the DS. I can't swing that right now.

Thanks all!
    Joe

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Price point has the new DS guides for 35$; http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/189...-Bashguard.htm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridewithchucky
    Price point has the new DS guides for 35$; http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/189...-Bashguard.htm
    From price point's site:

Item is on Back Order
    This item is temporarily out of stock. It will be shipped to you as soon as we receive it. You will not be charged for the item until it is shipped, and you will not be charged for any additional shipping, unless this is the only item in your order.

mtbr member
    OP, sorry to have derailed the thread. I'll post up once I get the DS. I'm sure it'll be top notch.

Joe