Thread: Chain Drop

mtbr member

Chain Drop

I was hoping to tap the Homer knowledge on an issue I just started having.

I recently swapped out my 5.1 rockers for the 5.5's and added a new X9 FD. I'm running a 2 ring set up.

My issue is I'm dropping my chain from the middle ring to the small ring and sometimes straight from the middle ring to completely off. It only happens when I'm in the middle ring, utilizing the suspension, and pedaling. I did not have this problem before the swap.

I did set up the FD myself and I'm not the most mechanically inclined. I also added a couple of links to lengthen the chain for the new rockers. The FD shifting is OK but at times doesn't want to shift from the small to middle ring.

I'm thinking it maybe a chain line issue or my chain is a bit long. But since I did the FD myself I'm wondering if that is somehow the culprit.

I did a search and found a couple of similar issues but it looks like a chain guide was the easy fix. I'm not opposed to using a chain guide but I'd like to solve the problem with out one if possible since it wasn't happening before.

Not sure if the picture is of any help.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    think maybe there is too much slack. try removing the links to see if that helps.

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    think maybe there is too much slack. try removing the links to see if that helps.
    2nd Brian. I would occassionally have the same issue, usually while downshifting on a climb, very annoying. Shortening the chain a link or two helped.

Also, double check you FD adjustment. Make sure your limit screws are not too far inside for the granny and not too close to the chain when in the middle ring. Otherwise, it's like throwing your chain farther that it has to go and you overshoot the granny.

Good Luck!
    Astigmatic Visionary

It's carbon dontcha know.
    On setting up the FD check the guide at www.parktool.com/repair

Code Burr
    Had a similar issue on my spot build, make sure the FD is absolutely parallel to the rings. Mine was off a couple mm towards the rear and it would dump the chain into the BB shell when shifting.

Lay off the Levers
    Also see if you can adjust the Fder so the inside plate is as close as possible to the inside face of the chain when in the middle ring.

Make sure you did not set the fder too low on the seat tube. It is not supposed to be vertically close to the bash guard. It needs to be set at the height it would if you had all three rings. The best way to ensure it's at th right height and is nice and parallel is to put the third ring on and set the der, then take switch back to the bash guard. A bit of a PITA but worth it.

I don't think going to 5.5 rockers would add even a single link's worth of chain growth. So unless your chain was tragically short to begin with, I doubt you need the extra links.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

... I guess you won't be
    I think zilla nailed it.........but, try removing a link or two first.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

Silence and Thunder...
    OT- now -that's- a well ridden bike!
    well done!
    ...every day sends future to past...