Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Censorship

Negative Rep Points!!!!

Censorship

Puppet Masters:

Just curious as to why you yanked my post from the "State of the Turner Forum" thread? Are you using your almighty powers to smash any opinions that might stray out of what the herd finds acceptable?
    [SIZE="4"]
    YAY, CENSORSHIP!!![/SIZE]

[SIZE="5"]Sanitizing a trail blows...Sanitizing this place would blow.[/SIZE]

Personally, this forum is a source of entertainment for me and a place to share the stoke during my downtime between rides. It's also a good resource to share ideas and stories.

However, I can only stomach so much drivel about how to fashion a gravity retarder out of popsicle sticks, so I simply glaze over and tune it out, or I simply click on another thread.

Try it, it's really not that difficult.

Some of you... your whole live's seem to revolve around MTBR, with these weird parallel internet personas, and that's pathetic.

SHEESH.

Diversity in opinions is a healthy thing in my book. I find it totally offensive when the back slapping, nut swinging, and lock stepping, volume gets turned up too high.

For those of you little weenies that went whining to the moderators, or site owners, about something typed on this board....YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!

Leave it alone...don't dumb it down!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 11-18-2006 at 07:49 AM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

... I guess you won't be
    While I wholeheartedly support a "laissez-faire" stance on BB's [let the reader decide what's important or not] for a "consumer driven" BB......you have to still realize it's paid for by people who make bikes, and sell bikes. Don't get mad at the moderators, they are just protecting their machine, and keeping their sponsors happy and content......

And, we're starting to get into the funny-season.......winter, less riding opportunities, more frustration vented on BB's [not just this one] - I see it every year.

And yes, I've had my share of run-ns on the Michigan Mountain Biking Association BB - the flame warz there make anything ever seen on this BB equivalent to a coed pillow fight [see any issue w/ regards to Maybury winter riding ban, if you're really bored].............but, I'd rather decide for myself what's important or not.

Unfortunately, that choice does not exist universally. So be it.
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

banned, again
    Sanitizing trails is the wimpy, insecure, skill-less rider's way of saying "you can't make me improve my skills and work on challenging terrain, because I'll just make the terrain suit my level of skill."

Sanitizing threads is the wimpy, insecure, humorless internet forum poster's way of saying "you can't make me face up to the fact that other people have a sense of humor that is different from mine, and you can't make fun of me because I may implode from ego-bruising, so I will just complain to the moderators about any thread that feels insulting and if it doesn't stroke my ego then it feels insulting."

It's also the moderator's way of saying, "Look at me, I'm a big powerful boss-man!"

Rather than looking hard for "proof" that someone is being offensive or negative or hateful, the wimpier folks would be better served to try to remember that there are many forms of comedy, and that satire is a highly regarded form of comedy among people with exposure to thoughts, ideas and cultures outside the safe mainstream of Mister Rogers Neighborhood and NASCAR.

No, that's not phonetic
    I think they are trying to steer us towards real content and away from hyperventilating. I will now attempt to save this thread...

The first generation prototype. No popsickle sticks were injured in this process. IT remote switch:

And it's hooked to a Descender post via a brake noodle and a Bic ballpoint pen.

The next generation prototype...

Renny has been kind enough to look into making a few out of aluminum to retrofit other Desender posts for remotes.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Seems that the internet is subject to the social contract theory...everything has its limits regardless of how free/open we think it is....

I think the first thread I read on this board was two guys going it at on the CD forum about going 40 mph on a singlespeed or something like that...complete with pictures of guy squating a bunch of weight (WTF?)...it was damn (can I say this?) funny! As are many of the other internet spats. No wonder I like to bike alone.

banned
    I hope Aqua doesn't get banned again. I was just beginning to feel a e-connection between us.

banned, again
    King Homer has sanitized another comic thread. Thank you King Homer. We bow in obeisance to your FrankenTurner expertise.

Let us now return to the satire. This exchange was overheard at the Turner Homer Gathering earlier this year.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Homer 1 -- "Have a nice day!"

Tscheezy -- "Hi, I'm Tscheezy, and I'll be your Homer Captain on this trip! Today we'll be traveling to the land of Eternal Parts Swapping where we'll make this week's new FrankenTurner -- a bike designed for optimum show-off value on your roof-rack."

Homer 2 -- "Hi, Tscheezy. You're a genius. Tell me how I should build my Turner."

El Chingon -- "Hi, I'm Speedo Boy, and I'm the most highly skilled freerider in Homerland. My sense of humor includes pretending I'm not a flaming queen. My ego is massaged by posting pictures showing my weak-sauce skills and expecting others to praise me endlessly. If you joke about my skills I begin collapsing from within. I think they call it implosion. Now you're rockin' with Team Sanchez, puta!"

Homer 3 -- "El Chingon, you have MAD SKILLZ, yo!"

SSinGA -- "Hi, I'm SSinGA and I'm a free-XC armchair racing Homer who is at risk for donut-induced heart attacks. I have a damned nice bike that cost over $5,000 with all the deluxe parts on it. I swap tires regularly to show that I'm hip to the latest tread trends and my bike is built for serious freeride attacks even though I rarely leave the gravel path where I ride with my young children. I won't stand for being told that I'm a poseur because I may wither and die from that direct ego assault. Please go easy on me."

cactuscorn -- "Yo SSinGA, you're a rockin' cool dude and I'm sure your kids are impressed with your way-hot custom upgraded Turner. Don't let anyone tease you about it. You're a good father. You show them the value of materialism as a way of life and as a way of building self-esteem. And you set a great example for capitalism, proving that you need to support your local donut baker with a Daily Dozen."

banned, again
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I hope Aqua doesn't get banned again. I was just beginning to feel a e-connection between us.
    How's that search for a spine and individual identity going, Jersey Poseur?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Having different senses of humour is all good! I doubt anybody here has an issue with that.

Threads disclosing the location of illegal trails, posts that might aggravate user conflicts, or lead the the closure of any trail system are fair game to be shut down in my opinion (and no, I did not contact the mods about the zaxxon vs. pete thread).

Tip for homers: a simple PM or email to the original thread poster ("please remove pictures / details of illegal trail system ASAP" ) might be a better way to deal with these types of threads, as opposed to moderation or endless flame wars & drama.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chan
    How's that search for a spine and individual identity going, Jersey Poseur?
    The irony.

~~~~~~~~
    aqua, chanzostrike, etc. there is no puppet masters, king homer, or little whining weenies (except for the moderator )... I am the sole moderator of this forum, occasionally a super mod like shiggy may stop by to delete an obvious spam.

I recieve very few complaints asking for posts or threads to be deleted and I typically only oblige when the original poster requests it. Personally I let stuff go unless it is a clear violation of Forum Guidelines, and even then I'm more likely to leave it.

The thing that bothers me the most is the fact that this forum is dedicated to a bicycle which bears the name of it's creator and everything that goes on here becomes associated with that person. DT has never done or said anything to deserve any disrespect, and I think it's important to remember that what goes on here can potentially reflect unfairly on him and his business.

I can not spend as much time as needed in here to read every thing that gets posted. Things were ugly last week and I had no time to get involved so I asked Gregg, who is plenty busy with other more important stuff, and the other moderators to have a look at the discussions taking place in here.

Maybe there should be different standards for moderating a forum that represents a manufacturer, it's not my call, but I thought opening up a discussion about it would help. Please continue to discuss in that thread, even if someone felt your previous comments were inappropriate.

Anyway, I've got nothing to say really, I don't want to have to moderate anything, I don't have any agenda to sanitize this forum, I do not recieve or ask for anything because I am the moderator. I pay full price for my Turners!

I don't even know what to tell you guys, but when the moderator of a forum doesn't even want to hang out there something is wrong. So keep it up, maybe a new moderator will surface, maybe the forum will get canned all together, maybe it will get renamed the Homer or the Clown Crap forum. It's up to you guys, I've got nothing to do with it, the only reason I accepted to volunteer to moderate was because the forum didn't need one (that was the good ol' days). I do appreciate everyone who keeps the best interest of the community in mind and helps with recognizing and addressing situations that could go bad in positive way.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chan
    cactuscorn -- "Yo SSinGA, you're a rockin' cool dude and I'm sure your kids are impressed with your way-hot custom upgraded Turner. Don't let anyone tease you about it. You're a good father. You show them the value of materialism as a way of life and as a way of building self-esteem. And you set a great example for capitalism, proving that you need to support your local donut baker with a Daily Dozen."
    That's ridiculous.

Cactus would never include that many periods and his writing includes a good deal more run-on sentences.

I hope they ban you Mr. Chan.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

~~~~~~~~
    btw, I just read your deleted post aqua and agree that there was no reason for deleting it. Again, not my call, but I really wish you would have posted your comments in that thread or via email to Gregg as he requested, he is the only one that can answer the question.

the reluctant moderator is now flying off into the sunset...

banned
    Might I ask one question-

Aqua's post gets deleted, but Gonzo under "The Chan" and several different aliases persists unchecked, for what reason?

Bodhisattva

Aqua's post gets deleted, but Gonzo under "The Chan" and several different aliases persists unchecked, for what reason?
    Comedy

don't get yer panties in a wad just because you were once banned too.

Completely & effectively ban GonzoChan and I'm heading over to the Ventana board. Life around here is so dull without the likes of him, Aqua, Pete and Insane Frederick

― Albert Einstein

~~~~~~~~

In The Chan's public profile he states his name as Channing Oglethorpe from Berwick, PA.

Looks like The Chan has been spending most of his time in Germany lately and likes to use many different ISP's.

The Chan has also spent lots of time lately upgrading his internetting skillz too.

All for what? I couldn't even begin to guess, but it is obvious what's important in his life.

Any answers you may need in regards to who why and how people are banned I cannot provide, I do not have the power to ban users, and do not want it. I have enjoyed Gonzostrikes contributions to MTBR for many years, long before the Turner or F88 forum existed and am sorry to see how things have degraded.
    Last edited by airwreck; 11-18-2006 at 12:12 PM.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    In The Chan's public profile he states his name as Channing Oglethorpe from Berwick, PA.

Looks like The Chan has been spending most of his time in Germany lately
    Bwaaaaaa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha

LOL LOL LOL LOL

That's really funny stuff. Thanks Airwreck !

― Albert Einstein

Baked Alaskan

censorship sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic

Leave it alone...don't dumb it down!
    I agree - everyone can exercise a little self control and not buy into the flamebait or just use the ignore function.

As I sit in the office .. while its -1f outside .. I hope Aqua will keep posting pics and sharing stories of sunny So Cal riding.

Sorry to see Ariwreck out as the mod - R.I.P. - but thanks for the memories. Keep the Maui riding pics flowing too.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

rr
    I don't do PC
    Besides the recent Zaxxon thread that went sour, and of course the completely stupid CF threads, exactly what is going on that you don't want to hangout here airwreck?

If Gonz is being a butthead then throw him out, it's his decision to post the stuff he does, but I get the feeling the threads that aren't "approved of" by some folks is what is causing the problem. I hang out here for a lot more reasons than Aqua and Team Sanchez huck shots, and tscheezy McGyver.

What makes this forum fun is EVERYONE, and the varying opinions and input on not just bikes, but bike culture and the people. Talking bikes nonstop is boring for a lot of folks, I hangout here for the cool people.
    Last edited by rr; 11-18-2006 at 12:58 PM.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    Sorry to see Ariwreck out as the mod - R.I.P. - but thanks for the memories. Keep the Maui riding pics flowing too.
    I'm not "out", this is like a union civil service job, If I don't show up I still won't get fired. I just do not have the time or desire to try and keep this forum on topic and police the guidelines.

If someone needs something, PM me, I'll get it taken care of.

Feeling responsible for not working more to maintain a civilized community bums me out, if someone feels they have the time and skill to provide some leadership speak up. I can't do it, so either do it yourselves or , just don't blame me for problems here, me blaming myself is adequate.

banned
    Airwreck is fine by me.

Even though he's riding a lightweight freeride equipped for curb jumping.

Lay off the Levers

My reluctant 2-cents.

Sort of a shame this discussion even needs to take place. Here's my thoughs since everyone's going to chime in anyway. I'm short on time lately so I'm going to try not to get into an exchange about this, and instead spend some time wrenching my bike since the weather sucks:

I just saw Greg's sticky thread on moderation for the first time last night. (Been busy as hell at work.) I'm flattered some folks nominated me, and I agree something needs to be done. Maybe three or so part-time moderators would be easier to do than finding one person with the time and comittment to really give each issue fair and critical evaluation.

It's a shame things aren't as self moderating as they used to be... BUT trolls draw trolls. The Nasty attacks and ranting is steadily eroding the goodnature of the environment. This can only encourage the passing, and the lurking mean-spirited people to pile on. The mean tone will slowly discourage the non-negative people from contributing stoke and eventually they'll stop coming by all together.

You might think the nay-sayers are a bunch of "hens" and "babies" but sooner or later the attacks will outnumber the stokes and this fourm will loose it's appeal to all but the flamers, the trolls and their cowardly troll-helpers who like to watch flamewars in other peoples forums.

Letting the crap fly unchecked is like leaving graffiti on the wall or not fixing broken windows. It'll only tell the vandals "Nobody cares...go ahead knock yourself out."

Moderation is a slipery slope but it does not have to be black and white forever either. Crackdowns can be even more useful when done in cycles that match the surges of trolling, and lighten up after the general tone of things settles down. As long as people don't hold the moderators accountable for absolute perfection.

For now, I think we should let the Mods decide when enough is enough and when to just let things take care of themselves. Right now it's my opinion we're deep in the enough is enough phase.

They're going to make some tough calls but I think It's better to have one clever jab get deleted, than let 10 nasty pointless attacks float in the bowl...and thus send twenty people who came here for stoke to look elsewhere.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

banned
    I don't believe moderation should always result in the ultimate "click and remove/lock" scenario. A moderator can step in and try to make peace before going that route, as locking and removing doesn't work out the situation at hand.

Lay off the Levers
    Yes there are many tools a Moderator can use. Reasoning is one of them...provided the people involved are themselves reasonable. It's a case-by case type of thing which is why it's so time consuming.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    I agree with Zilla.
    For the most part I' m a silent reader of these forums. I'm hear to check cool pics, set -up tips,and keep up with the latest bling.
    Some posts are like car wrecks...you just have to look. Yes, I might find it entertaining to read Cf's rants or some other users throwing insults. There does need to be a line that should not be crossed to keep the heap from getting bigger. There is nothing wrong with differing opinions discussing but when the sh1t starts flying, something must be done.
    Moderation is not censorship. It keeps the trolls and neysayers from dragging us all down.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast