Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

CCDB Coil 7.5 x 2.0 stroke?

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  fermenter 
#1 ·
Anyone else with one of these? I am waiting for my spring to arrive yet and will double check the eye to eye with the spring installed.

With the spring retainer installed I measured from the can to the retainer edge (where it could contact the can if the bumper was removed) and all I get is 1.8 inches. That is with the retainer correctly keyed to the new eyelet. Crap I don't want to loose 1/2 inch of travel on a 5 1/2 inch bike.

The Fox CTD looks to use all of the 2" stroke.
The CCDB coil from my RFX looks to use 2.21 of its 2.25 advertized stroke. (With no bottom out bumper considered.)

Any one else with observations of stroke on this shock?

#5 ·
OK, my screw up: More careful measurement indicates that the inner spring flange on the spring retainer has a great enough diameter to fit over the damper body (providing the rub sleeve could move slightly down the body). So now it is more like 1.93" stroke. No big deal.

I did find a Cane Creek spring sized 2 X 650. It is labeled as such and so was the packaging. It needs to be compressed to install. Surprised to see it is the very close to the same free length as my 2.25 X 550 spring for my other shock.

#8 ·
I will be asking them about that. They sent me an 8 mm mounting hardware on one end of the shock and 6 on the other so I do indeed have to call them.

They are not stocking many springs for the 2 and 2.25 shocks anymore so mine didn't come with one installed. Makes me wonder if they are going to drop the 2" stroke coil CCDB and stick with the air?

It is a new Cane Creek spring, out of a new unopened package both labeled Cane Creek 2 X 650.

Some Marzocchi springs for the Roco need compressed too.

The new design spring retainer doesn't help.

#9 ·
I will be asking them about that. They sent me an 8 mm mounting hardware on one end of the shock and 6 on the other so I do indeed have to call them.

They are not stocking many springs for the 2 and 2.25 shocks anymore so mine didn't come with one installed. Makes me wonder if they are going to drop the 2" stroke coil CCDB and stick with the air?

It is a new Cane Creek spring, out of a new unopened package both labeled Cane Creek 2 X 650.

Some Marzocchi springs for the Roco need compressed too.

The new design spring retainer doesn't help.
What does the spring free length measure?

#10 ·
4 7/8" The nice folks at Cane Creek are sending me out the correct 6mm hardware. I did confirm with them they also have to compress the higher rate springs to install them on the 2" stroke shocks. They use tie wraps. I have done that in the past for a friends Roco.

Now I tried it last night and the spring does not fit over the protective layer on the damper body with the tie wraps installed. I have some thinking to do.

Thanks for the replies!

#11 ·
Somehow got it installed with one zip tie along most of the spring and two zip ties on the last turn where they wouldnt touch the damper body. Once the retainer is in place and zip ties removed the spring is loose so no worries about too much spring preload.

The correct reducer is due today so I hope to get it on the bike and set sag.

I know most people use air. If anyone was thinking of going coil on one of these 2" stroke bikes here is my set up: Rider weight 210lbs without gear, 650# spring and aiming for (30%) 15mm sag at shock for the 2013 Spot.
For the 2008 RFX with 2.25" stroke I set up 35-40% sag I think I was 20 to 22mm sag at the shock. 550lb spring and 1 to 1 1/2 turns preload.

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.