Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

cc builds a heavy rfx? say it aint so!

ok, ok! ta talked me into a sneak peek of the rfx in ts new dh config. ted needed a total overhaul after a hard years use so i tore it down and started from scratch. looks almost new, dont ya think? so, with a dh race looming in a few weeks and my last experience on that hill bein fun but overwhelming and semi dangerous, i went shoppin with my flood coverage o/t pay and came up with this build usein mostly spare parts. this should fix that steep HA issue i had in '07.

thanx to chad and buck at magura, kris at go ride, heamo_01 and simon/nomade20000 for the help gettin the new bits and the killer advice.

Bike setup:
    * Frame: Medium '07 RFX
    * Rear Shock: Fox RP23 (couldnt afford a coil this time around)
    * Fork: '07 Marzocchi Super T RCV w/ custom hydro line guides
    * Brakes: '07 Magura Louise w/ 203/180 Venti rotors
    * Shifter: '06 SRAM X-9 w/ ti h/ware
    * Cranks: 175mm Shimano XT
    * Chainguide: old Truvative dual roller type
    * Rear Derailleur: '06 Sram X-9 long cage
    * Pedals: Crank Brothers 50/50's (Mallet M's if i change my mind about flats)
    * Stem: FSA Gravity 70mm x 6mm
    * Handlebar: FSA XC 280 26.5"
    * Seatpost: FSA FR 200
    * Saddle: Turner Logo DH w/ cromo rails
    * Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT
    * Chainring: 38 or 40t Race Face dh rings
    * Bashring: Race Face 40t capacity
    * Chain: SRAM PC 970
    * Cassette: SRAM PG 970 11/34
    * Headset: FSA Orbit Extreme
    * Grips: ODI Ruffian waffle Lock-Ons
    * Wheels: WTB Speed Disk Trail or Mavic 521's - Hope Big-Un (modded from 100mm to 110 spacing) - Shimano XT disc - DT Comps w/ brass nips- 2.5 BG/Nev's
    * Front Tire: Kenda Blue Groove Stick-E 26 x 2.5
    * Rear Tire: Kenda Nevigal Stick-E 26 x 2.5

W: 34.76
    HA: 66.5
    SA: 70
    BB: 14 13/16"
    WB: 45"
    A2C: 22 3/8"
    this is pretty close to a highline and i still have a degree or so left on the stantions if i need a slacker HA.

lets start with a workbench shot...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 07-12-2008 at 12:14 AM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    Looks good, CC.

Cut those extra long stanchion tubes down to save some grams. All that sticking out above the upper crown is dead weight.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

~~~~~~~~
    very cool!

trail fairy
    Looks great CC, liking the bad ass looks, the chain guide is wicked, nice little cable guide, yer brakes are backwards lol!

Overall awesome CC, like to see yer on some DH cassette ratios med or short cage RD for saftey

Nice work dude, now go kill that DH u gonna be ripping..

Chur...

ps that may have to be in the aug ToM..

edit: don't forget to remove the water bottle holder yer don't want that poking ya in a crash or costing ya precious seconds on the clock, yer know they cause wind resistance lol..
    Last edited by trailadvent; 07-08-2008 at 01:51 AM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    nice DH build, CC!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Beautiful CC!! Just make sure to get some experience with the flats prior to the race .
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

TLL
    mtbr member
    I like your shelf of spare Turner frames there.

I'd be interested to hear how this setup handles. Should rock, that's for sure.

And weren't you the guy who told me a 970 would eat up my freehub? Guess it won't matter that much in a DH race.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    You should call it Jack, because it'll rip. Beautiful!
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

thanx guys. i forgot to thank squish and zilla up above for their part in this.

id love to toss a shorty der and a tight stack cassette on it like the grown ups but this will have to do for now. i considered usin a old school 8 spd 11/25 dura ace and short cage der out of the merckx spares box but then i have no back up parts to bring and im lackin in shifters not already in use.

tll: both freehubs are steel so the 970 wont matter. another nice thing is i had 2 and another set of nev/bg's so the 2nd set of wheels was easy. the only thing is the old 5 bolt hope rotor/hub limits me to a 180 front but caliper adaptors are a quick swap. maybe hope has a 203 in a dark corner somewhere.

cheesey: i like yer idea but then where would i mount my beer holder?

ta: the cage stays. i like a water bottle with me at all times to stay hydrated and theres no fountain up top or team lacky to carry 1 for me.

tb: jack... i like that! ill save that for a dhr. im almost out of turner names anyway but i have 1 more left. i called this 1 ted cuz it owns the trail.

tald: i plan on some urban time and a day or 4 of runs on our local mini dh run gettin the feel of the 50/50's and 661 shoes... if it would stop rainin and droppin funnel clouds on our heads. i hope my past history bmx days from the 70's and 80's will help too.

i wanted to add that theres some pretty sweet ebay deals on magura brakes and marzocchi forks. a seller called "braking1" is actually magura usa and a cat named buck. all the old stock is gettin blown out. a full set of new '07 louise carbon bats w/ 180/203 venti rotors cost me $230 and if theres a special request, just ask. they seem to be very cool with swappin rotor size, adaptor type and almost anything else as long as its not current stock. a guy called "nomade20000" is a shop outta QC canada and seems to have some fine deals on closeout forks and even current stuff. simon hooked me up with the new '07 super t rcv for $420.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 07-08-2008 at 09:24 AM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    So what does the 'heavy' version weigh compared to the 'light' version?

Buzz

i can't type the letter s
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    So what does the 'heavy' version weigh compared to the 'light' version?

Buzz

Yea, fess up how much does it way now!! Nice job CC, that is sicko.

Y'know once you step into the darkside you'll never go back. You're done.

~~~~~~~~
    reminds me of when the superT went to 170 and it was the sick fork for the first gen RFX's.

Buzz, that would be a sweet shore bike.

Got to say after some back and forth with a Totem and a Boxxer, the Boxxer blows doors on the Totem.

mtbr member

I have a similar rendtion....

I have my '06 that I ride on the Shore regularly! As she stands now, she is a svelte 44lbs....

Cheers

Buzz

mtbr member
    Hey Airwreck,

Thanks for the heads up on Kira's bike......she is sending me some pics soon...

Cheers

Buzz

dunno yet. still waitin on some parts but my guess is itll be about 38 compared to the 32 it normally is. ill update with info and final build pics in a week. the brakes just shipped today and the rest should be here from bti any day.

aw: not only would it be fun on the shore but every time i go down into the man cave, theres a pile of wizz-ler and keystone fodder next to it. think ted's tryin to tell me somethin? all of a sudden im way more interested in THC makin a new destination. sorry to hear about the totem vs. 5.10 fight but im glad yer still havin fun out there.
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    CC looks good, but doood, rotate those brake levers so you can actually reach em!

BTW, here's my new ride-

~~~~~~~~
    Good point rr, need to get the shifters inboard of the brakes too. Do you brake one fingered CC?

i can't type the letter s
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    BTW, here's my new ride-
    Wow, you too Rick?? Man, I hope I can make it to Keystone this summer. You aren't going to be pedaling uphill much on that are you?

I'd like to know how the shock performs at the resorts; one of the shocks I'm looking at to replace my 5th element is a Revox (EDIT: Is that a revox?). I'll ask you after you get a few runs on your new excellent rig!

tom
    Last edited by mouse jockey; 07-08-2008 at 11:01 AM.

holy crap rrrrrrrrr! that thing is trick! or siq, as the kids are now spellin it. looks like ya have to mount that shock with a crane. is that the new key toy?

cockpit is not 100% dialed in yet but the static feel is good. ill wait to hit the steeps before i settle on control fit and seat height. what should i be lookin for? right now its set up for a more standin position with a rearward weight bias and the ability to get the balls of my feet on the floor for cornering.

ok, im cornfused. the shifter is inboard. and no, i never got my head around 1 finger braking. tried it for years when vee's 1st came out and again when i went disc but my 2 fingers keep findin the lever. dumb brain... dont work right.

thanx for the input and tips guys. keep it commin. i have lots to learn about the evolution of steep, techy dh ridin. the days of 45 mph + fireroad runs are long gone and im playin catch up.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    i wanted to add that theres some pretty sweet ebay deals on magura brakes and marzocchi forks. a seller called "braking1" is actually magura usa and a cat named buck. all the old stock is gettin blown out. a full set of new '07 louise carbon bats w/ 180/203 venti rotors cost me $230 and if theres a special request, just ask. they seem to be very cool with swappin rotor size, adaptor type and almost anything else as long as its not current stock. a guy called "nomade20000" is a shop outta QC canada and seems to have some fine deals on closeout forks and even current stuff. simon hooked me up with the new '07 super t rcv for $420.
    +1 for both sellers. I've bought brakes from Magura via eBay and Nomade20000 sold me a 07 Devinci Wilson frameset at a killer price.

unfortunately, chad left magura right after i won the bid on the 2nd set. he took very good care of me before buck returned to his prior role as maggies ebay honcho and continued the outstanding c.s.

simon also was also super good to work with. i saw the fork but knew i wouldnt have the cash for a few days. bein as how i make a habit outta payin for my bids when the auction closes, i wrote him before i bid, asked for a grace period and he accomidated me without further question. helps that my feedback kicks ass.

nuthin but nice things to say about both sellers here.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Team Blindspot
    I bet it still doesn't weigh as much as Jay's spot
    Astigmatic Visionary

yeah but he carries a amp and a les paul in his bottle cage.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Cactus> Throw on some Codes and you'll quickly - and easily - learn one-finger braking!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I think what rroeder meant was that the levers should be closer to horizontal so when you are way back your hands and arms line up with the levers more.

I know what you mean by a new destination for THC. DH is siq.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Was that a correct usage of the word siq? 50 this month and I don't even know where the loop is anymore.

had ya gotten past that tree, ya woulda seen it on the left.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    I think what rroeder meant was that the levers should be closer to horizontal so when you are way back your hands and arms line up with the levers more.

I know what you mean by a new destination for THC. DH is siq.
    CC ride's goofy

I agree though when ya on the big incline going down fast that pos can be hard to get leverage on, but I'm assured hes a two finger guy

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    CC looks good, but doood, rotate those brake levers so you can actually reach em!

BTW, here's my new ride-
    looks flexy

curd
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    looks flexy
    Only if ya ride it..

chur..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

chirp
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by mouse jockey
    Wow, you too Rick?? Man, I hope I can make it to Keystone this summer. You aren't going to be pedaling uphill much on that are you?

I'd like to know how the shock performs at the resorts; one of the shocks I'm looking at to replace my 5th element is a Revox (EDIT: Is that a revox?). I'll ask you after you get a few runs on your new excellent rig!

tom
    Hopefully as little as poss!, but I did install a front der for a reason

It's a Swinger 4 way, came with the frame so I'm gonna run it for now. I've only done a few runs on a local trail but things felt good, just finished it a week ago so no real ride time yet. Will be hitting Keystone a lot the next few months for sure, we also have several DH worthy trails here.

CC- yeah I meant rotate em up to a more horizontal pos, they are in a classic XC riding pos now. Try moving the levers in an inch too like others mentioned, if you have good brakes you should be able to use one finger in most situations. Probably the reason you have always migrated to 2 fingers is cause of the position of your brake levers.

BTW, the Formula Mega's kick arse

i rotated them up last night after thinkin and feelin. who knows till i get it on dirt. cant go in on the bar any more than ya see. this fsa bulges waaaaaaaaaay out into the control area and im maxed out now. so ill keep my eye out for a diff unit and give the ol 1 finger trick another go. ive been practicing when i can.
    No, I'm NOT back!

~~~~~~~~
    sorry got it backwards. Should be grip, then shifter, then brake lever. The brake body should be at least an inch and half away from the end of your grip.

Make one finger braking your number one priority! and not that finger!

ill give this a try, just for you and rrrrrrrrrrrrroeder. i guess if i cant get 2 fingers on the lever, itll be pretty easy to make the change to 1.

(edit: well that didnt work for shyt. that damn bulge on the fsa bar is sooooooo long it puts the shifter dead in the way of my fingers. doesnt help that im usin 1 of the older x-9 shifters with the wide clamp and no lateral adjustment. time for a new bar... someday.)

i think i have a idea or 2, but whats the big deal about 1 finger braking on a dh bike?
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 07-09-2008 at 11:46 PM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

good news:

just got a call from hope usa and guess what? they had a old 5 bolt 203 for my big-un front hub so ill have 2 sets of wheels i can swap out without a big fuss. she asked me if i cared that the rotor pattern didnt match my old 1. the hubs 10 years old fer gawds sake! im just damn happy to find a part that fits!
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Whats all the fuss with rotor bolts! don't cha know real DH riders only use four bolts anyways even on 6 bolt patterns! course I would never do that, you could cut it to 3 for an even pattern

CC follow my diagram, you will be convereted to the 1 finger, those brakes are plenty strong enough, if I can front wheel wheelie my lard arse at speed you should have no probs and they mod well so no over the fronts either

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Elitest thrill junkie
    Awe crap, I just killed the star-ratchet in my DT hub. Now it goes CKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

that sux. let me buy ya a beer. oops! forgot my wallet. nevermind.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    That sux alright but this will help

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

~~~~~~~~
    ill give this a try, just for you and rrrrrrrrrrrrroeder. i guess if i cant get 2 fingers on the lever, itll be pretty easy to make the change to 1.

(edit: well that didnt work for shyt. that damn bulge on the fsa bar is sooooooo long it puts the shifter dead in the way of my fingers. doesnt help that im usin 1 of the older x-9 shifters with the wide clamp and no lateral adjustment. time for a new bar... someday.)

i think i have a idea or 2, but whats the big deal about 1 finger braking on a dh bike?
    I can't see why there would be any problem running your shifters between your grips and brakes.

The big deal with 1 finger braking is 3 fingers gripping the bars instead of two. With disc brakes and big rotors there is absolutely no reason to use 2 fingers.

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    I can't see why there would be any problem running your shifters between your grips and brakes.

The big deal with 1 finger braking is 3 fingers gripping the bars instead of two. With disc brakes and big rotors there is absolutely no reason to use 2 fingers.
    I ran into the same problem with my X.7 shifter and Magura brakes. Mounting the shifter inboard doesn't seem to play nice with the Magura body. The shifter doesn't tuck all that well under the reservoir.

Luckily for me the combo ultra wide low-rise Sunline bars and my huge hands I was able to separate the two enough and them to fit.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagaredama
    I ran into the same problem with my X.7 shifter and Magura brakes. Mounting the shifter inboard doesn't seem to play nice with the Magura body. The shifter doesn't tuck all that well under the reservoir.

Luckily for me the combo ultra wide low-rise Sunline bars and my huge hands I was able to separate the two enough and them to fit.
    Yeah it can be done esspecially better with XO or new X9 the older X9/X7 pods are not as adjustable or slim line, and the new 08 Magura's have got the ergos well and truly sorted, it was my big pain wit the earlier mods as well, though for DH ya need to move the brake lever further out in DH mode so that helps some!

Really like the 08 stuff and 09s looking killer!

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

all this is true guys but the real issue is with the fsa xc280 bar. the area between the end and the bulge's taper is super short. with a odi ruffian lock on, i only have about 3/8" between the grip and the lever body, with the shifter butted right up to it, before in outta room. its even a bit tight for my standard setup but ive run it a few times so ive embraced the compromise. i really just need a new bar with more room as ive said before.

ill take some pics when i get home.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    all this is true guys but the real issue is with the fsa xc280 bar. the area between the end and the bulge's taper is super short. with a odi ruffian lock on, i only have about 3/8" between the grip and the lever body, with the shifter butted right up to it, before in outta room. its even a bit tight for my standard setup but ive run it a few times so ive embraced the compromise. i really just need a new bar with more room as ive said before.

ill take some pics when i get home.
    I second what Naga says about the bar get a Sun V1 on there ya will like a wide bar for DH esspecailly with that triple be sweet dude, its a great bar and has some nice feature on there too, resist the temptatio to cut down until youve tried it a few times takes a bit to get used to but you'll be carving it up like a boarder instead of steering like the titanic

Never ends huh, a simple project ends up being a full scale make over..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

so true. much more costly than planned but oh, the fun ill have!

triple? what triple?

down to the man cave to install the last of the parts.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    so true. much more costly than planned but oh, the fun ill have!

triple? what triple?

down to the man cave to install the last of the parts.
    True all fun

Triple clamp fork doh
    * Fork: '07 Marzocchi Super T RCV w/ custom hydro line guides
    Enjoy the beers in he man cave

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

oh, sorry. i seldom understood the term as most have only 2 clamp areas. its like how ya clip into a clipless pedal. but i digress.

she be done. some beauty shots... well as beauty as ya can get in a basement bike shop.

also a few of my cobbled up chainguide and bashring combo. basically a shaved truvative guide to clear the swingarm and b/bkt shell, stock xt crank, race face ring and guard and some 7mm spacers between the guard and the spyder held together with a standard dbl chainring nut and a xl chainring bolt. actually it went together without any fuss and that surprised me as i was ready for a fight. i love it when a plan comes together!
    No, I'm NOT back!

and heres my issue with the xc 280:
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Looks great buddy, good work, like ya little touches, cable guides etc looking really goos just that bar setup is wierd, I'll send ya a Diety bar if had time 28inch in width? give the word and its on its way, 10days for normal post it took last time and made it ok!

I'm lost with ya issue on the bar though from ya pics looks like ya still got yr shifter and brake clamps reversed, Im seeing this lots lately on the Turner board you guys must have big thumbs and little fingers

I think ya showing me the bar width dosnen't allow ya room?

Still if you rest your hands on your grips and naturally rest ya thumb on the big lever of the shifter and one fore finger on the brake lever take a pic see where they are it will be very obvious youre gonna have some issues!
    will reduce ya braking effectiveness no matter how good ya brakes are and shifting will be slow unless as I say ya got a big thumb and little fingers

Ps are those tires up to the job, 2ply's?
    Thought you were a Maxxis man hes snarling at those Kenda's

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

if i were to reverse the shifter with the lever, the lever would be fine for 1 finger braking but the shifter would be waaaaaaaaaaay too far outboard and waaaaaaaaaay under my hand makin for 2 finger gripping and rotating it under quite severely. trust me here... its a no go with these parts. thanx for the bar offer but its easyer and cheaper for me to score 1 here. much faster too.

2 plys they is. yeah, i usually run maxxis tires. they seem to work well for me but im not locked into them. plus i dont have any heavy caseing maxxis rubber but i do have 2 sets of these and another set of 2.7 bonty big earls that wont fit the fork or frame. i was kinda surprised to see how tight the bg was in the super t. not much room for lunch but enough for a light snack.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Tires cool !

Cockpit cool what works for ya is best!

I didn't relasise they were pre 07 X9 shifters, clamps and adjustment quite different to XO & 07 onwards X9. Still hard though, I was able to get mine where I liked em but harder than I would have liked than others or the new models, lest Magura improve each year I give them that, they listen to there customers!

I like this picc those rotors are so sweet!

Kenda are big volumes alright, 2Plys be sweet

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

you were most of my insperation to get the big venti's.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Cool, wait to you try em, look forward to seeing what you think of them you running standard magura on your other set huh.

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

yep. 160/180 1 pc rotors now with the carbon levers. the alloy units will stay on the dh setup for ease of swapping.
    No, I'm NOT back!

ok, so it aint so...

...heavy. weighed it at squishs shop since he has a ultimate scale and i was WAY off. 24.76 lbs. a total surprise due to all the big heavy parts i put on it. this things gonna be flickable!
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    ...heavy. weighed it at squishs shop since he has a ultimate scale and i was WAY off. 24.76 lbs. a total surprise due to all the big heavy parts i put on it. this things gonna be flickable!
    Ah thats lighter than yer previous build typo

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Rides like wrecking ball
    I have my '06 that I ride on the Shore regularly! As she stands now, she is a svelte 44lbs....
    Quite possibly a new Heavyweight RFX Guiness World Record ladies and gentlemen! That's impressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hesh to Steel
    With people liking mongoose and trek bikes now, what's next in this crazy world? People disliking the bottlerocket?!

mtbr member
    Yeah.......I'm not really surprised at the weight. given the parts spec. In fact, I am shocked at ppl getting them down to ~35lbs! That would be a weight weenie build in these parts I dont think there is a single component I could 'lighten' and have it stand up to all of the abuse it sees on the Shore...

Cheers

Buzz

trail fairy
    Yeah.......I'm not really surprised at the weight. given the parts spec. In fact, I am shocked at ppl getting them down to ~35lbs! That would be a weight weenie build in these parts I dont think there is a single component I could 'lighten' and have it stand up to all of the abuse it sees on the Shore...

Cheers

Buzz
    Buzz sounds like you could do with one of those lightweight XC HLs everyones raving about should get it around 40lbs going out a good prices right about now

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    If GO - Ride would ever answer my e-mails, I would be getting one, but it wouldnt be for me. My gf still rides her XCE up here on the Shore with me and she is much overdue for a bigger bike...

Cheers

Buzz

trail fairy
    If GO - Ride would ever answer my e-mails, I would be getting one, but it wouldnt be for me. My gf still rides her XCE up here on the Shore with me and she is much overdue for a bigger bike...

Cheers

Buzz
    Wouldn't it be great if there was a get back to me in a day policy or get it free

Surprised GR been slow to respond, maybe give em a ring, these things could be going like hot cakes, esspecially in some size

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Members who have read this thread: 0