Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack

cc builds a heavy rfx? say it aint so!

ok, ok! ta talked me into a sneak peek of the rfx in ts new dh config. ted needed a total overhaul after a hard years use so i tore it down and started from scratch. looks almost new, dont ya think? so, with a dh race looming in a few weeks and my last experience on that hill bein fun but overwhelming and semi dangerous, i went shoppin with my flood coverage o/t pay and came up with this build usein mostly spare parts. this should fix that steep HA issue i had in '07.

thanx to chad and buck at magura, kris at go ride, heamo_01 and simon/nomade20000 for the help gettin the new bits and the killer advice.

Bike setup:
    * Frame: Medium '07 RFX
    * Rear Shock: Fox RP23 (couldnt afford a coil this time around)
    * Fork: '07 Marzocchi Super T RCV w/ custom hydro line guides
    * Brakes: '07 Magura Louise w/ 203/180 Venti rotors
    * Shifter: '06 SRAM X-9 w/ ti h/ware
    * Cranks: 175mm Shimano XT
    * Chainguide: old Truvative dual roller type
    * Rear Derailleur: '06 Sram X-9 long cage
    * Pedals: Crank Brothers 50/50's (Mallet M's if i change my mind about flats)
    * Stem: FSA Gravity 70mm x 6mm
    * Handlebar: FSA XC 280 26.5"
    * Seatpost: FSA FR 200
    * Saddle: Turner Logo DH w/ cromo rails
    * Bottom Bracket: Shimano XT
    * Chainring: 38 or 40t Race Face dh rings
    * Bashring: Race Face 40t capacity
    * Chain: SRAM PC 970
    * Cassette: SRAM PG 970 11/34
    * Headset: FSA Orbit Extreme
    * Grips: ODI Ruffian waffle Lock-Ons
    * Wheels: WTB Speed Disk Trail or Mavic 521's - Hope Big-Un (modded from 100mm to 110 spacing) - Shimano XT disc - DT Comps w/ brass nips- 2.5 BG/Nev's
    * Front Tire: Kenda Blue Groove Stick-E 26 x 2.5
    * Rear Tire: Kenda Nevigal Stick-E 26 x 2.5

W: 34.76
    HA: 66.5
    SA: 70
    BB: 14 13/16"
    WB: 45"
    A2C: 22 3/8"
    this is pretty close to a highline and i still have a degree or so left on the stantions if i need a slacker HA.

lets start with a workbench shot...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 07-12-2008 at 01:14 AM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

No, that's not phonetic
    Looks good, CC.

Cut those extra long stanchion tubes down to save some grams. All that sticking out above the upper crown is dead weight.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

~~~~~~~~
    very cool!

trail fairy
    Looks great CC, liking the bad ass looks, the chain guide is wicked, nice little cable guide, yer brakes are backwards lol!

Overall awesome CC, like to see yer on some DH cassette ratios med or short cage RD for saftey

Nice work dude, now go kill that DH u gonna be ripping..

Chur...

ps that may have to be in the aug ToM..

edit: don't forget to remove the water bottle holder yer don't want that poking ya in a crash or costing ya precious seconds on the clock, yer know they cause wind resistance lol..
    Last edited by trailadvent; 07-08-2008 at 02:51 AM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    nice DH build, CC!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Beautiful CC!! Just make sure to get some experience with the flats prior to the race .
    Hear no evil. See no evil. Speak no evil. (Do it !?!)

TLL
    mtbr member
    I like your shelf of spare Turner frames there.

I'd be interested to hear how this setup handles. Should rock, that's for sure.

And weren't you the guy who told me a 970 would eat up my freehub? Guess it won't matter that much in a DH race.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    You should call it Jack, because it'll rip. Beautiful!
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

thanx guys. i forgot to thank squish and zilla up above for their part in this.

id love to toss a shorty der and a tight stack cassette on it like the grown ups but this will have to do for now. i considered usin a old school 8 spd 11/25 dura ace and short cage der out of the merckx spares box but then i have no back up parts to bring and im lackin in shifters not already in use.

tll: both freehubs are steel so the 970 wont matter. another nice thing is i had 2 and another set of nev/bg's so the 2nd set of wheels was easy. the only thing is the old 5 bolt hope rotor/hub limits me to a 180 front but caliper adaptors are a quick swap. maybe hope has a 203 in a dark corner somewhere.

cheesey: i like yer idea but then where would i mount my beer holder?

ta: the cage stays. i like a water bottle with me at all times to stay hydrated and theres no fountain up top or team lacky to carry 1 for me.

tb: jack... i like that! ill save that for a dhr. im almost out of turner names anyway but i have 1 more left. i called this 1 ted cuz it owns the trail.

tald: i plan on some urban time and a day or 4 of runs on our local mini dh run gettin the feel of the 50/50's and 661 shoes... if it would stop rainin and droppin funnel clouds on our heads. i hope my past history bmx days from the 70's and 80's will help too.

i wanted to add that theres some pretty sweet ebay deals on magura brakes and marzocchi forks. a seller called "braking1" is actually magura usa and a cat named buck. all the old stock is gettin blown out. a full set of new '07 louise carbon bats w/ 180/203 venti rotors cost me $230 and if theres a special request, just ask. they seem to be very cool with swappin rotor size, adaptor type and almost anything else as long as its not current stock. a guy called "nomade20000" is a shop outta QC canada and seems to have some fine deals on closeout forks and even current stuff. simon hooked me up with the new '07 super t rcv for $420.
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 07-08-2008 at 10:24 AM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    So what does the 'heavy' version weigh compared to the 'light' version?

Buzz

i can't type the letter s
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    So what does the 'heavy' version weigh compared to the 'light' version?

Buzz

Yea, fess up how much does it way now!! Nice job CC, that is sicko.

Y'know once you step into the darkside you'll never go back. You're done.

~~~~~~~~
    reminds me of when the superT went to 170 and it was the sick fork for the first gen RFX's.

Buzz, that would be a sweet shore bike.

Got to say after some back and forth with a Totem and a Boxxer, the Boxxer blows doors on the Totem.

mtbr member

I have a similar rendtion....

I have my '06 that I ride on the Shore regularly! As she stands now, she is a svelte 44lbs....

Cheers

Buzz
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Hey Airwreck,

Thanks for the heads up on Kira's bike......she is sending me some pics soon...

Cheers

Buzz

dunno yet. still waitin on some parts but my guess is itll be about 38 compared to the 32 it normally is. ill update with info and final build pics in a week. the brakes just shipped today and the rest should be here from bti any day.

aw: not only would it be fun on the shore but every time i go down into the man cave, theres a pile of wizz-ler and keystone fodder next to it. think ted's tryin to tell me somethin? all of a sudden im way more interested in THC makin a new destination. sorry to hear about the totem vs. 5.10 fight but im glad yer still havin fun out there.
    No, I'm NOT back!

rr
    I don't do PC
    CC looks good, but doood, rotate those brake levers so you can actually reach em!

BTW, here's my new ride-

~~~~~~~~
    Good point rr, need to get the shifters inboard of the brakes too. Do you brake one fingered CC?

i can't type the letter s
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    BTW, here's my new ride-
    Wow, you too Rick?? Man, I hope I can make it to Keystone this summer. You aren't going to be pedaling uphill much on that are you?

I'd like to know how the shock performs at the resorts; one of the shocks I'm looking at to replace my 5th element is a Revox (EDIT: Is that a revox?). I'll ask you after you get a few runs on your new excellent rig!

tom
    Last edited by mouse jockey; 07-08-2008 at 12:01 PM.

holy crap rrrrrrrrr! that thing is trick! or siq, as the kids are now spellin it. looks like ya have to mount that shock with a crane. is that the new key toy?

cockpit is not 100% dialed in yet but the static feel is good. ill wait to hit the steeps before i settle on control fit and seat height. what should i be lookin for? right now its set up for a more standin position with a rearward weight bias and the ability to get the balls of my feet on the floor for cornering.

ok, im cornfused. the shifter is inboard. and no, i never got my head around 1 finger braking. tried it for years when vee's 1st came out and again when i went disc but my 2 fingers keep findin the lever. dumb brain... dont work right.

thanx for the input and tips guys. keep it commin. i have lots to learn about the evolution of steep, techy dh ridin. the days of 45 mph + fireroad runs are long gone and im playin catch up.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Stray Bullet
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    i wanted to add that theres some pretty sweet ebay deals on magura brakes and marzocchi forks. a seller called "braking1" is actually magura usa and a cat named buck. all the old stock is gettin blown out. a full set of new '07 louise carbon bats w/ 180/203 venti rotors cost me $230 and if theres a special request, just ask. they seem to be very cool with swappin rotor size, adaptor type and almost anything else as long as its not current stock. a guy called "nomade20000" is a shop outta QC canada and seems to have some fine deals on closeout forks and even current stuff. simon hooked me up with the new '07 super t rcv for $420.
    +1 for both sellers. I've bought brakes from Magura via eBay and Nomade20000 sold me a 07 Devinci Wilson frameset at a killer price.

unfortunately, chad left magura right after i won the bid on the 2nd set. he took very good care of me before buck returned to his prior role as maggies ebay honcho and continued the outstanding c.s.

simon also was also super good to work with. i saw the fork but knew i wouldnt have the cash for a few days. bein as how i make a habit outta payin for my bids when the auction closes, i wrote him before i bid, asked for a grace period and he accomidated me without further question. helps that my feedback kicks ass.

nuthin but nice things to say about both sellers here.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Team Blindspot
    I bet it still doesn't weigh as much as Jay's spot
    Astigmatic Visionary

yeah but he carries a amp and a les paul in his bottle cage.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Cactus> Throw on some Codes and you'll quickly - and easily - learn one-finger braking!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I think what rroeder meant was that the levers should be closer to horizontal so when you are way back your hands and arms line up with the levers more.

I know what you mean by a new destination for THC. DH is siq.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast