Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Caution DW bikes owners : hex-loc link weaknesses

I didn't find anything about this problem through the research engine so I thought I'd post this.
    Last saturday, while riding a pretty cool trail, i've snapped the drive side hex-loc link on my DW Sultan.

No particuIar break noise. After a short technical singletrack section, i was going to pedal again on a fire road and discovered there was some play in the rear end of the bike but couldn't at first find the origin. I only saw the rear hex-loc bolt was loose, tried to tighten it but did not help. I was not far from my car and decided to come back walking beside my bike.

At home, I removed the both hex-loc bolts and found the broken part.

I was lucky it did not happen during an epic trip ride that i love to do in the french Alps.
    I've recently sold my trusty TNT RFX for a Sultan, better suited for epic day-long rides and i was a little disapppointed.

I emailed Greg from Turner Bikes and he said they will cover the link under warranty. This is the second failure of thousands frames shipped. The other was caused by over tightening.

David
    Last edited by dbcht; 04-01-2010 at 01:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Snuff pics of broken parts are poor form especially when you havent heard back from Turner yet. They will fix it and treat you right, they always do...

Buzz

mtbr member
    just another item to have spare in your backpack along with an extra derailleur hanger. thanks for the heads up for all the DW owners but no big deal. enjoy your sultan!

mtbr member
    most likely due to the big wheels

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smaxor
    most likely due to the big wheels
    Totally, I only run 26" wheels on my 29er to get that ultra low BB feel and improved cornering.

I hope Starre is kidding about carrying an extra set of linkages on every ride. Maybe a spare fork or wheelset, but linkages?

Seriously, that's a bummer to see happen. That is the first Turner I've seen that happen to so it's unlikely to happen again.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

No email

Is this your idea of a joke? You say you send an email that doesn't get to Greg, wait a few minutes then spread your mis hap around the world? This bike has been in production for a year and a half, this is not an issue. At all. You are the first I have heard of.

Try sending it to Greg@turnerbikes.com and know that when your email is recieved you will get a new link, don't forget to put your address etc on the note.

DT

mtbr member

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    Is this your idea of a joke? You say you send an email that doesn't get to Greg, wait a few minutes then spread your mis hap around the world? This bike has been in production for a year and a half, this is not an issue. At all. You are the first I have heard of.

Try sending it to Greg@turnerbikes.com and know that when your email is recieved you will get a new link, don't forget to put your address etc on the note.

DT
    This a Turner site where we talk about this stuff. This is not a marketing board for Turner. You have good feedback and bad feedback.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    You have good feedback and bad feedback.
    Unlike you...with only bad feedback

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Nah

Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Unlike you...with only bad feedback
    I actually mostly say great things about Turners but I do share my thoughts...unlike you who only give Turner a happy ending every time you come on here.

Rolling
    Wow.

DW link posts are interesting.

29 some of the time...
    To the OP and to Turner,
    There is no harm in a snuff pic. Aluminum stuff breaks. Could be for any number of reasons. I know mtbr is fairly keen on moderation to protect the innocent and their advertising income. But I hope it never goes to the point that snuff shots are off limits. It is a good way for the consumer to know when components on their beloved mtb are know to have issue. One broken part is a fluke or even a material defect, however if it comes up multiple times then it educates the owners about what is now a mfg or design defect

Premature snuff shots can be viewed as poor form, I will give the boss that one. Wait to hear from warranty, post up the information on the failure and the companies solution, and post up the remedy when the company backs their warranty
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    dbcht

Whats your Body mass index?

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo
    This a Turner site where we talk about this stuff. This is not a marketing board for Turner. You have good feedback and bad feedback.
    Say what?

The guy posts a snuff photo warning others (suggesting there is a latent fault) and wondering if Turner will actually honor the warranty when:
    1) He hasn't even given the dealer a chance to look at it and
    2) It isn't a problem that has ever been reported before (to my knowledge).
    3) Turner have an excellent rep for honoring warranty, and even out of warranty stuff.

As such DT posting a 'what the f' question is entirely appropriate.

On this site, I've only seen good feedback regarding Turner CS, apart from a very few whingers wanting weekend and evening CS responses.

Way better than your feedback mate!:

Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Get real Jaybo.
    Last edited by Mark2c; 03-31-2010 at 10:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    Snuff pics of broken parts are poor form especially when you havent heard back from Turner yet. They will fix it and treat you right, they always do...

Buzz
    Sorry for what you call snuff pics.
    Greg could not find my email, it came through to his junk folder.
    He has just answer the link will be replaced under warranty, so i edited my post.

You have to know that in Europe, there are only one distributor for the country (which has just changed) and it is not my lbs. I must say that i bought the frame from a us guy trough the mtbr classified, so i think it was normal to contact directly the company, even if i informed the new french distributor.

However, i still love my Sultan and over Turnerbikes values. I also don't want to have any doubts about my bike when riding.

David

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freebiker
    dbcht

Whats your Body mass index?

http://www.nhlbisupport.com/bmi/

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    dbcht - no sweat & I understand (speaking for me anyway).

It just pays to hold off pushing the Big Red Button until you've got a clearly deserving target.

Sounds like you have received top notch customer service (can't blame Turner Bikes for spam filters).

On the down side, we've fed the trolls.
    Last edited by Mark2c; 04-01-2010 at 01:35 AM.

Huh?
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AL29er

Premature snuff shots can be viewed as poor form, I will give the boss that one. Wait to hear from warranty, post up the information on the failure and the companies solution, and post up the remedy when the company backs their warranty

EXACTLY.

mtbr member
    i see your point if it is a full set of linkages to carry. i somehow got the impression that the dw linkage elements were identical and you would need onlt one in your backpack. you know i have been carrying around a spare sultan d. hanger for 3 years now in my camelbak and i was wondering when i was ever going to use it. (i had changed the hanger once just to see if the hanger was causing poor shifting - i broke one of the screws in the changover and greg at Turner CS gave me nearly instant advice on how to deal with it). well today my r. derailleur broke on the trail and the hanger bent, but i was happy to ride home single speed with my spare hanger installed. happy trails, starre

Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com
    I hope Starre is kidding about carrying an extra set of linkages on every ride. Maybe a spare fork or wheelset, but linkages?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Snuff shots

The % of snuff shots on the Turner Bikes forum compared to actual failures is quite large, so maybe I do get a little irritated. It seems that a broken Turner Bike is treated like a trophy kill, or that it acts like gas poured on a fire to get Turner Bikes attention ( works huh) I rarely get to see photos of broken bikes on other companies Forums. It is obvious that those riders have less time to post and play, or that they are embarrased their bike broke? Dunno the psych behind it. Can anyone here imagine if the same % of failures were posted from one of the big companies?!! It would be non stop carnage, and there is NO WAY their warranty % is lower than mine! In the last month I haveseen enough 'issues' at races from 2 piece bikes to broken links that I know world wide it would be non stop pop corn time.

I am not upset that you posted it, but that you announce it like it is a epidemic of some sort. I am confident that was due to over-tightening the fastener in the name of " checking" the bolts. A little tighter every time until the bolt acted as 'puller' and pulled the hex right off the plate. Simple.

You will be recieving the benifits of our transferable warranty, which most on the various Forum members do not get to sample. The last few weeks I have followed the processing of a broken BrandX that a customer bought used, almost new, broke it, posted no snuff shots of it, tried to hide the broken bike as he passed thru the finish crowd,and had to pay $700 for a hardtail replacement! I could only ask if he got a reach around with the a$$ rape.

DT

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The % of snuff shots on the Turner Bikes forum compared to actual failures is quite large
    Been lurking for a while and I've noticed this too, especially recently (last few months). No offence to the OP, but it's often relative newbies (to the board) that come wading in without considering the implications. I have no idea why.

mtbr member
    Well the other companies don't have the owner on the forums so that's one thing. Another is usually other companies are bought at a local dealer, so usually the first thought when something goes wrong is to take it to the bike shop you bought the bike from.

It's safe to say, at least around here, that most of the Turner bikes were purchased from an online retailer.

Anyway, I think the OP's message was miscommunicated. Looks like he was just trying to do a favor and warn other people to maybe check their linkages even though the situation is rare. Either way, I have no doubts that he will be taken care of by Turner.
    2006 Turner 5 Spot
    2007 Trek 2100 ZR

mtbr member
    I rarely get to see photos of broken bikes on other companies Forums. It is obvious that those riders have less time to post and play, or that they are embarrased their bike broke? Dunno the psych behind it. ......
    DT
    DT
    I saw "a lot" of broken flexpivots on the Yeti forum and it was an epidemic, a real one that started with the first post and lasted few months. There was a defected series in the Yeti case. Yeti acknowledged it and it was not repeated for maybe 2 yrs now. It may not be a similar case here, but just in case don't shoot the OP.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RiceKilla
    Anyway, I think the OP's message was miscommunicated. Looks like he was just trying to do a favor and warn other people to maybe check their linkages even though the situation is rare. Either way, I have no doubts that he will be taken care of by Turner.
    It is exactly that.
    I've just tried, DT, to have the same approach that this one : Caution DW Spot owners: aluminium pivot bolts and it didn't make the same noise...

Sorry for my poor english, i've been misunderstood.
    Anyway, the Turner happy ending is always real

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by starre
    i see your point if it is a full set of linkages to carry. i somehow got the impression that the dw linkage elements were identical and you would need onlt one in your backpack. you know i have been carrying around a spare sultan d. hanger for 3 years now in my camelbak and i was wondering when i was ever going to use it. (i had changed the hanger once just to see if the hanger was causing poor shifting - i broke one of the screws in the changover and greg at Turner CS gave me nearly instant advice on how to deal with it). well today my r. derailleur broke on the trail and the hanger bent, but i was happy to ride home single speed with my spare hanger installed. happy trails, starre
    I completely agree about carrying a spare derailuer hanger. On most bikes they are rather fragile and easy to damage, plus they weigh very little. I've also carried spare shock bolts in the past for some bikes that had really wide mount hardware and high leverage setups. However, I deem a part like a linkage to be of too high of value to need regular, or on trail, replacement. Fortunately, I looks like this is a very rare occurence.

Short Funny Story:
    Back in the day a bud of mine had a K2 Animal FR bike that used an electronically adjustable shock. He went through so many shocks that he did carry spare at all times.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast