Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Committed

Carbon RFX build thread

Now that the RFXs are here its time for a build thread.

What's everyone doing, and how are you liking the new bike?

My frame is a couple weeks out, but the parts have been arriving:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon RFX build thread-rfx-parts-1.jpg  

Carbon RFX build thread-sexy-wheel.jpg  

Carbon RFX build thread-wide.jpg  

Carbon RFX build thread-enduro-ready-bro.jpg  

Carbon RFX build thread-rfx-fork-now.jpg  

Carbon RFX build thread-trails-waiting.jpg  

Yay! Bikes !
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    What's everyone doing?
    waiting, and waiting ... :/

mtbr member
    That's going to be one hot looking bike, going by the pile of bits!!!

Now with flavor!!
    Is that a 34?
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Is that a 34?

As if

Now with flavor!!
    Atta boy

How do I get black stickers? I want black stickers.

The orange stickers on mine threaten my heterosexuality.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Committed
    I got the decals at Sea Otter from the Fox booth, not sure were else to find them.

Orange is anti-hetero? But the General Lee was orange!?!

2015 Fox 36 160mm RC2, place holder fork until my 170mm Lyric arrives.

mtbr member
    Soulie, could I ask what size you will be riding and how tall you are? I've always enjoyed seeing your pics you have posted.

Cheers!
    Yamaha & Paiste, weapons of mass percussion

Now with flavor!!
    I'll buy the stickers when the lyric shows up.

I dont think you want to ride a lyric over a newer 36. I know I wouldn't.

~~~~~~~~
    They are called Stealth decals, you can get them from the internet.

Atta boy

How do I get black stickers? I want black stickers.

The orange stickers on mine threaten my heterosexuality.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    Soulie, could I ask what size you will be riding and how tall you are? I've always enjoyed seeing your pics you have posted.

Cheers!
    I'm 5' 10.5" riding a large. Used to ride mediums but have switched to large for Turner frames.

Looking forward to posting some more photos once the bike is built!

Committed
    I'll buy the stickers when the lyric shows up.

I dont think you want to ride a lyric over a newer 36. I know I wouldn't.
    I have had a little time on the 36 on my Burner. It felt stiffer than the Pike, but not as smooth. It may not have enough time on it to be properly broken in.
    Your 36 has the newer Fit4 cart?

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck View Post
    They are called Stealth decals, you can get them from the internet.
    Hey Eric, how are things?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm 5' 10.5" riding a large. Used to ride mediums but have switched to large for Turner frames.

Looking forward to posting some more photos once the bike is built!
    because of extra WB length, reach, ETT, what? combo of all? new longer, lower, slacker works better in large if you're on the fit line of med./large?
    breezy shade

Now with flavor!!
    I have had a little time on the 36 on my Burner. It felt stiffer than the Pike, but not as smooth. It may not have enough time on it to be properly broken in.
    Your 36 has the newer Fit4 cart?
    I got a 26" talas so it's the RC2. It really is the best stock fork damper I've ever had IMO. They changed the rebound piston in those things do duplicate the faster HSR damping like rockshock's "hurry up and come back™". But the Fox compression dampers actually do something. I do think my pike is a little smoother at super low speeds off the top. But slamming into things with rattle vision, that fox stuff squisher is WAY better.

Can't beat RS fork weights though. My talas is a pound and a half heavier than the base float.

Committed
    I got a 26" talas so it's the RC2. It really is the best stock fork damper I've ever had IMO. They changed the rebound piston in those things do duplicate the faster HSR damping like rockshock's "hurry up and come back™". But the Fox compression dampers actually do something. I do think my pike is a little smoother at super low speeds off the top. But slamming into things with rattle vision, that fox stuff squisher is WAY better.

Can't beat RS fork weights though. My talas is a pound and a half heavier than the base float.
    I really don't have enough time on the 36 to have an informed opinion. It was on my Burner briefly before I got that other bike (with different fork) I rode all summer.

Pound and a half heavier? My 36 Float is 4.5# you saying your talas is 6#?

mtbr member
    I had planned on building up a Warden (150mm) this fall/winter before the new RFX announcement so I bought a new 160mm MRP Stage. The bummer I guess is the RFX can take a bigger fork and the stage is only 150/160.

I'm not a big hit rider so it should be fine for my needs. Mostly a few trips to mammoth.

mtbr member
    The Stage can be set at 170 mm. Very easy to change with internal spacers. There is a good video floating around. Might be up on the MRP site. I'm running my Stage at 170 on a Warden. Feels great. The A2C is a bit lower than other forks so the 170 works for a lot of bikes out there.

I had planned on building up a Warden (150mm) this fall/winter before the new RFX announcement so I bought a new 160mm MRP Stage. The bummer I guess is the RFX can take a bigger fork and the stage is only 150/160.

I'm not a big hit rider so it should be fine for my needs. Mostly a few trips to mammoth.

Now with flavor!!
    Pound and a half heavier? My 36 Float is 4.5# you saying your talas is 6#?

5.8 lbs baby!

It's a 180mm I shortened to 170. Probably not the brightest thing to do but I hate pedaling 65 degree headangle bikes uphill for hours.

mtbr member
    I have had two 2016 FOX Float 160mm RC2 forks. Fork #1 didn't use all of its travel and was bit harsh, and required lower pressure than recommended. Once it was broken in, it performed much better. Fork #2 (purchased about 6 months later) worked great from the start - plush, mid stroke support, full travel, correct air pressure. I am planning to send fork #1 into Fox, now that I know better. I was hesitant to purchase a second Fox Float based on my experience for fork #1.

~~~~~~~~
    Hey Eric, how are things?
    Almost recovered from Whistler, probably would have been quicker if I had just sat around and got fat.

I like the looks of that tire, just picked up a Shorty for the front. Saw the gumx rockr for half price and thinking about trying as a rear. How's the sizing on the 2.35 compared to a Maxxis 2.4?

Now with flavor!!
    Almost recovered from Whistler, probably would have been quicker if I had just sat around and got fat.

I like the looks of that tire, just picked up a Shorty for the front. Saw the gumx rockr for half price and thinking about trying as a rear. How's the sizing on the 2.35 compared to a Maxxis 2.4?
    They're pretty simiar sizing wise.......as in neither are huge.

That's pretty much the best tire tread ever. I imagine it might gum up in some of that sticky orange Hawaii muck though. They're kinda heavy too.

You didn't wreck in the air at whistler did you?

Committed

The RFX should be perfect for mammoth, a aggressive 160ish bike is a whole lot of fun on that mountain!

Committed
    5.8 lbs baby!

It's a 180mm I shortened to 170. Probably not the brightest thing to do but I hate pedaling 65 degree headangle bikes uphill for hours.
    Oh, the big boy talas. That explains it.

Committed

The maxxis 2.4 and the mitchy 2.3 are about the same size. The mitchy rockr 2 is one of the best performing tires I have ridden. I'm a fan of minions etc and the rockr 2 behaves at least as well and lasts waaay longer.

What happened at whistler?

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    I have had two 2016 FOX Float 160mm RC2 forks. Fork #1 didn't use all of its travel and was bit harsh, and required lower pressure than recommended. Once it was broken in, it performed much better. Fork #2 (purchased about 6 months later) worked great from the start - plush, mid stroke support, full travel, correct air pressure. I am planning to send fork #1 into Fox, now that I know better. I was hesitant to purchase a second Fox Float based on my experience for fork #1.
    Good to know, I'll keep that in mind. One of the demo RFXs has a 36 on it that everyone hates, looks like they can be hit ad miss...

mtbr member
    1soulrider. I know you've been a Turner support for a long time now. Have you tried any other bikes recently, while waiting for the RFX? Have you had any demo time on the new RFX? Curious what your thoughts are.

I've owned several RFXs and 5 Spots in years past. I hope this RFX brings them back to the top of the list.

The RFX should be perfect for mammoth, a aggressive 160ish bike is a whole lot of fun on that mountain!

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    1soulrider. I know you've been a Turner support for a long time now. Have you tried any other bikes recently, while waiting for the RFX? Have you had any demo time on the new RFX? Curious what your thoughts are.

I've owned several RFXs and 5 Spots in years past. I hope this RFX brings them back to the top of the list.
    It is true I am a long time Turner enthusiast. I've always made a point of riding as many bikes from other brands as often as possible to remain relevant in my opinions. I was fortunate enough to do some testing of the earlier (aluminum and 26") RFX protos, but have not had any time on the carbon ones. My excitement about the bike stems from the protos I did ride, my love of the Burner (& 5Spot before it), and generally liking what Dave does with DW suspension.

At the beginning of this year the RFX was still a mirage on the horizon and I was tired of waiting. The Burner was awesome, but I wanted carbon (stiffer & lighter) and more travel.
    I had the opportunity to demo a YT Capra, and was impressed with it's abilities. The US distributer is about an hour away from my house so I picked one up.
    It took a while to dial it in, and get used to how it pedaled, but in the end I really like it.
    It is truly the only bike I have ever owned that is as enjoyable on a trail ride as it is in the bike park. If Turner had not come through with this new RFX, I would happily be riding the Capra for the foreseeable future.

Really looking forward to seeing how the RFX compares.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your reply. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the new bike.

~~~~~~~~
    They're pretty simiar sizing wise.......as in neither are huge.

That's pretty much the best tire tread ever. I imagine it might gum up in some of that sticky orange Hawaii muck though. They're kinda heavy too.

You didn't wreck in the air at whistler did you?
    Actually mostly been surfing the craziest deep duffy/loamy lately, that shorty is great, need to replace the hr2 rear with something beefier now.

Wouldn't even call it a wreck, wet milled wood got me, tried to ride it out, should of tossed it. Out of my crew, I made it the furthest into '15 before breaking. The first guy to break will also be first on a RFXC.

~~~~~~~~
    The maxxis 2.4 and the mitchy 2.3 are about the same size. The mitchy rockr 2 is one of the best performing tires I have ridden. I'm a fan of minions etc and the rockr 2 behaves at least as well and lasts waaay longer.

What happened at whistler?
    Was thinking dhr2, been running those front and rear on my dhr not sold on it as front yet. Hard for me to stray from Maxxis but can be per$uaded to try something different and if it starts with an M even better.

Was feeling invincible for almost 10 days at WBP before making a bad decision...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Was thinking dhr2, been running those front and rear on my dhr not sold on it as front yet. Hard for me to stray from Maxxis but can be per$uaded to try something different and if it starts with an M even better.

Was feeling invincible for almost 10 days at WBP before making a bad decision...
    Back in the day the Michelin Comp 24 and 32 (when you wanted to go full-retard) were insanely sticky. The only problem was that I could toast a 24 rear tire in about 2 weeks. The minions came along shortly thereafter and provided similar traction that lasted a bit longer. Not that sticky minions last all that long in really rough rocky conditions, but a lot longer than those michelins that damn near evaporated.

If this offers said traction and doesn't evaporate so fast, it could be good. I was tempted to go with those tires for my RFX build, but the "real size" kind of dissuaded me. I went with the 2.3 Schawlbe HD for the front and Vredestein Bobcat 2.35 for the rear.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    If this offers said traction and doesn't evaporate so fast, it could be good. I was tempted to go with those tires for my RFX build, but the "real size" kind of dissuaded me. I went with the 2.3 Schawlbe HD for the front and Vredestein Bobcat 2.35 for the rear.
    You couldn't pay me to run a Schawlbe HD, a German Nevagal imo.
    The size of the Mitchy was an issue for you? They are pretty big, on par with Maxxis 2.4/2.5. Not huge, but plenty of volume. Maybe a hair smaller than the HDs but not by much.
    Btw, I have a pair of lightly used 2.35 HDs, trailstar compound I'll sell cheap if interested...

Committed

I've been running dhr2s on my big bike too, not a bad tire really. Try the Mitchys you will be impressed.

A hero for ten days, and then some pain eh? Pride goes before a fall

Now with flavor!!
    don't forget this lil' guy

Bontrager SE5 Team Issue MTB Tire | Bike tires & tubes | Cycling components | Equipment

I haven't ridden the trail versions but their big brother is the only thing that goes on my dh bike these days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    The Stage can be set at 170 mm. Very easy to change with internal spacers. There is a good video floating around. Might be up on the MRP site. I'm running my Stage at 170 on a Warden. Feels great. The A2C is a bit lower than other forks so the 170 works for a lot of bikes out there.

I did not know this, thanks.

mtbr member
    Definitely! The ole 6 Pack/RFX-2 was a blast there and this bike should be a better pedaling. Could be 5 pounds lighter too.

Committed
    don't forget this lil' guy

Bontrager SE5 Team Issue MTB Tire | Bike tires & tubes | Cycling components | Equipment

I haven't ridden the trail versions but their big brother is the only thing that goes on my dh bike these days.
    Yep, that's an excellent tire. The trail version could be worth tracking down.

mtbr member

Carbon RFX build thread

Here's my build spec. Just completed a few minutes ago. Only ridden around the parking lot. Can't wait to have it tested this weekend.

Frame: Medium RFX
    Fork: Fox 36 Float (Special edition)
    Bars: Kore 800mm (will replace with Enve DH bar)
    Grips: ODI Turner grip
    Stem: Thomson 50mm
    Headset: FSA included with frame
    Cranks: Sram X01
    Chainring: Sram X01 32T
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X01
    Cassette: XO1 11 speed
    Shifter: X01 11 Speed Trigger
    Pedals: Spank Spike
    Wheels: Light-Bicycle 38mm on Chris King hubs
    Brakes: Hope M4 200mm front; 180 rear
    Tires: Minion 2.3 front; Minion 2.3 front for rear too.
    Seat: Fizik Gobi XM

Total weight: 13.61kg (exactly as 30#)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Great build built_cn!! Just out of curiosity, how tall are you? Did you size up, down, or was medium perfect?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    Here's my build spec. Just completed a few minutes ago. Just ridden around the parking lot. Can't wait to have it ridden this weekend.

Frame: Medium RFX
    Fork: Fox 36 Float (Special edition)
    Bars: Kore 800mm (will replace with Enve DH bar)
    Grips: ODI Turner grip
    Stem: Thomson 50mm
    Headset: FSA included with frame
    Cranks: Sram X01
    Chainring: Sram X01 32T
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X01
    Cassette: XO1 11 speed
    Shifter: X01 11 Speed Trigger
    Pedals: Spank Spike
    Wheels: Light-Bicycle 38mm on Chris King hubs
    Brakes: Hope M4 200mm front; 180 rear
    Tires: Minion 2.3 front; Minion 2.3 front for rear too.
    Seat: Fizik Gobi XM

Total weight: 13.61kg (exactly as 30#)

mtbr member
    Thanks man, I am 5'8" and feel just right on a medium. I have a kind of longish leg though with 32" inseam. Let's see how it goes on the trail...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    Thanks man, I am 5'8" and feel just right on a medium. I have a kind of longish leg though with 32" inseam. Let's see how it goes on the trail...

If you were an inch shorter do think you would still find the med a good fit?

Very nice build btw, 30lbs is amazing ESP considering the amount of travel. My last RFX was close to 34-35 pounds.

mtbr member
    If I were and inch shorter, I think it would be a a perfect fit, however if I am an inch taller, I would consider the large size better.
    We'll really see once I'm ridden it a bit. Too early to tell. though my initial impression is I may go a little longer stem,

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Very nice, congrats. Interested in hearing your feedback.

%$#$*!
    Frame: Small RFX
    Shock: Stock Debonair
    Fork: 2016 Lyrik rct3 160mm
    Bars: Raceface Next 725mm
    Grips: Renthal Kevlar
    Stem: Twenty Six 50mm, 31.8
    Headset: FSA stock
    Cranks: Raceface Turbine 170mm
    Chainring: Raceface Narrow wide 30T
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Zee
    Cassette: Shimano XT 11-36
    Shifter: Shimano Zee 10spd
    Pedals: Xpedo Spry
    Wheels: Spank Oozy Trail
    Brakes: XT
    Tires: F Hans Dampf 2.35, R 2015 Nobby Nic 2.35
    Rider Height: 5'3" barefoot (shorter legs/longer torso, comparatively)
    Rider Weight: 145lbs
    Last bikes: Knolly Endorphin 26", Knolly Chilcotin (sizing feels very similar between RFXC and both Knolly's)

Total weight: ? scale is broken
    My guess is a little under 29lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon RFX build thread-rfx-side-shot.jpg  

Carbon RFX build thread-rfx-front.jpg  

Last edited by beefmagic; 11-28-2015 at 06:37 PM. Reason: added previous ride/rider specs

mtbr member
    I believe the earlier 36s were deemed harsh and fox will fix them for you for free. They changed the tune to be more compliant. I have an early one and am not thrilled with its sensitivity unless I'm at the bike park and moving fast. I'm going to send mine in once the snow comes.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    I believe the earlier 36s were deemed harsh and fox will fix them for you for free. They changed the tune to be more compliant. I have an early one and am not thrilled with its sensitivity unless I'm at the bike park and moving fast. I'm going to send mine in once the snow comes.
    Good info

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Great build BMagic!! Loving the builds!!! Would it be possible to put height, last bike ridden and compare size of the two bikes for reference? (i.e. had a small Nomad3 and that bike felt a little small, but small RFX feels perfect, vice versa, etc.)
    Thanks!!

%$#$*!
    Quote Originally Posted by spicolli1976 View Post
    Great build BMagic!! Loving the builds!!! Would it be possible to put height, last bike ridden and compare size of the two bikes for reference? (i.e. had a small Nomad3 and that bike felt a little small, but small RFX feels perfect, vice versa, etc.)
    Thanks!!
    Great idea. Updated with some extra information. I'm going to post a longer review once I have more ride time.

Yay! Bikes !
    beefmagic: how difficult was routing the Reverb? i assume you pulled the hose from the remote. Right?

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast