mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Carbon hoops for the Sultan

Lots of people rave about carbon rims, so ordered up some rims from light-bicycle. I emailed then and asked if they could paint them. Brian emailed me back within 12 hours.
    Within 2 days we had the color details all worked out. For what the price of stans rims are up
    to, the price difference to carbon is worth it. 400 gram rim with an inner bead width of 22.5mm. A DT 350 hub laced to double butted Wheelsmith 14 gauge spokes yielded
    a rear wheel right at 900 grams including Scotch 8898 rim tape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon hoops for the Sultan-blue-carbon-sultan-003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nobody will miss you on the trail! I am considering trying the Light Bicycle rims so post up when you have some miles on them. Definitely not Enve but less than 2x the cost of a Stan's rim. Go to hear about your customer service experience with them.

Arrrghhh!!!
    Those are some svelte looking crank arms and what looks like custom bits-- did you build the Sultan up light?
    The great use of life is to spend it for something that will outlast it.
    William James

Kiwi that Flew
    Magiclight battery pack I see?

--- deanopatoni ---

GAME ON!
    $150 per rim? that's crazy cheap. it's almost hard to trust them given that they're close to $1000 cheaper than an enve or easton rim. i'd love to know how they hold up.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Rides Uphill Slow
    Wow, very intrigued. Would love a write up after some miles like the others have said.
    Question. Did you just buy the rim and have it built up locally or did you have a complete wheel built up by light bicycle?
    Digging the blue and orange.
    I'm here for the downhill

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    only the rims are from light-bicycles. They have hub options but I already had a set of used
    DT 350 hubs waiting to get back on a bike.

Rides Uphill Slow
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2 View Post
    only the rims are from light-bicycles. They have hub options but I already had a set of used
    DT 350 hubs waiting to get back on a bike.
    I was kinda thinking that.

Can't wait to hear how they hold up for you. Did you set yours up tubeless?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    $150 per rim? that's crazy cheap. it's almost hard to trust them given that they're close to $1000 cheaper than an enve or easton rim. i'd love to know how they hold up.
    For me personally they didn't. I cracked one rear 26in rim riding down Porcupine Rim and the warranty replacement one month later at Blue Mountain in upstate NY. I weigh 165lbs and was running 2.4 Conti Mountain King tires. The rim cracked through but I was able to finish the ride both times. The warranty replacement was what they called a reinforced rim (400g instead of 360g).

Rides Uphill Slow
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971 View Post
    For me personally they didn't. I cracked one rear 26in rim riding down Porcupine Rim and the warranty replacement one month later at Blue Mountain in upstate NY. I weigh 165lbs and was running 2.4 Conti Mountain King tires. The rim cracked through but I was able to finish the ride both times. The warranty replacement was what they called a reinforced rim (400g instead of 360g).
    Good to know. Thanks for the input