Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Carbon flux build thread

Happy holidays everyone. I took delivery of a new Medium Flux this week. The frame finish quality and the rocker details are very impressive. I look forward to riding it once this big SoCal rain storm passes through.
    Here is my build:
    Wheels: Nox Teocalli w/ DT Swiss 350 Straight Pull 1438g
    Fork: 2017 Fox Factory 32 with 120mm travel 1728g
    Cranks: Race Face Next SL G4 w/ 24x36
    Brakes: Hope Evo X2 250g front 252g rear
    Drivetrain: Sram GX 2x11 w/ Twist Shifters and XO 10-42 Cassette
    Tires: Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.35 front 698g and 2.25 rear 728g
    Bars: Thomson Carbon Flat cut to 680mm 192g
    Stem: Thomson Elite 70mm 0 degree 154g
    Pedals: XTR 970
    Seat Post: Easton EC90 Carbon 27.2 w/sleeve (soon to be replaced with Thomson's new carbon post when it comes out)
    Saddle: Fizik Aliante Gamma XM 255g

More to come as I finish the build and get it on the scale!

LET'S SEE YOUR BUILD!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TTTURNER; 12-22-2016 at 12:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Black!!??

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JC822 View Post
    Black!!??
    DT told me that a white one was on the way. Black showed up, which is great because I wanted black anyway. My local shop owner said that he thought that there might be some white ones in larger sizes. I would give DT a call to see what he has if you are interested. It is a really nice looking frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    HUGE range on that drivetrain! Good looking rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    HUGE range on that drivetrain! Good looking rig

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You need the range here in the Coachella Valley. I was torn between 1x and 2x because I don't want extra weight, but I spend so much time climbing and going back down steep grades that I have been forced to be proficient with the front derailleur. The new Shimano XT FD-M8020-D shifts better than any front derailleur that has ever been built according to my local shop. They don't make an XTR in the same configuration, or else I would have gone XTR.
    I'm sure that the hardcore 1x fans will like my build even less when I pull away on the steep smooth descents. DT told me to buy a couple of extra 2x derailleurs because everyone thinks that 2x is dead and buried. He might not build any more 2x capable bikes. This hastened my bike decision.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks, I am not shopping for one, I am happy with my alloy Flux v3 and spent all my bike money on a RFX a couple of months ago, but I just thought that they were all coming in white.... More pics, when you have a chance!

Maromero
    And the frame weight is….

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    And the frame weight is….
    I didn't get a chance to weigh it because my LBS put in the Wheels Mfg. bottom bracket and Cane Creek headset before I picked it up. I don't have the tools used to install those two pieces. I bet that Turner's listed weight is very close. It has been for the aluminum frames.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JC822 View Post
    Thanks, I am not shopping for one, I am happy with my alloy Flux v3 and spent all my bike money on a RFX a couple of months ago, but I just thought that they were all coming in white.... More pics, when you have a chance!
    I was ready to buy a Flux v3, but they were gone by the time that I was ready to order. I was also told that white was the only carbon frame color this year, but I needed a frame badly and I was okay with the white. The white looks pure. It is just harder to keep clean. I have waited patiently for the carbon Flux and the black was a pleasant surprise (thanks DT). My I-phone camera sucks, but I'll try to get more pictures when I get time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Sweet looking bike. I have a V3 alloy in ano blue. Built it from the frame up. Love it. I'm sure you will love the new bike. Enjoy.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    TTURNER,
    can you give some ride impressions after you get a few rides in. Not sure if you have ridden the Burner but I am curious how these two compare.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    TTURNER,
    can you give some ride impressions after you get a few rides in. Not sure if you have ridden the Burner but I am curious how these two compare.
    me too! Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2009
    TTURNER,
    I have to replace/lengthen the rear brake hose today because it takes a longer route than my previous bike. My 26" Flux ran along the top tube, while this bike runs it down the downtube. I should have a few rides in by the end of the week and I will report back.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    They told me black would be an option in December along with XL........

Committed
    Waiting on wheels to finish my build.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon flux build thread-fluxer1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    Great looking Flux. Please make sure to post photos once the wheels arrive and the build is complete.
    Guess what? I got a fever, and the only prescription is more Singlespeed!!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider View Post
    I thought that I would be waiting on my wheels also. Fortunately, Dave's Speed Dream is really fast.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by jcave216 View Post
    Great looking Flux. Please make sure to post photos once the wheels arrive and the build is complete.
    For sure. Also will post about how it compares to Burner and RFX. Can't wait to get some miles on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    I thought that I would be waiting on my wheels also. Fortunately, Dave's Speed Dream is really fast.
    Have been a Dave's customer for many years; awesome wheels.

-Raynman59

Dream it, Do it.
    TTURNER,
    The new Flux is closer in ride and handling to the Flux v3.0 than it is to the Burner. It is faster handling than the Burner was and also has a faster climbing feel. To me, the RFX is closer to the Burner in ride and handling feel. My Flux ride review is at: https://www.dirtmerchantbikes.com/sp...mm-rear-travel
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    May 2009
    A little better picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon flux build thread-dsc01824.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    And one more.
    Carbon flux build thread-dsc01826.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2009
    And one last one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon flux build thread-dsc01825.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Sorry about the consecutive posts for pictures, but it wouldn't let me put more than one on a post.

As far as the ride goes, it is just as the Turner site describes the bike. It is flickable fun. It is light and stiff. It climbs great, like any DW link bike. It descends smoothly and precisely.
    The only other carbon Turner that I have ridden is the Czar. I'm only 5'7 and the 29" wheel size rolls well on my jagged/chunky rock trails, but it is a little big for a small guy like me to get around the steep switchbacks that I like to ride. I'm glad that I waited for the 27.5 size.
    I rode the new Flux with a 130mm travel Fox 34 Factory fork and I felt like I could launch it off a roof. The 120mm travel Fox 32 (non-step cast) Factory fork is better for my steep climbing. This bike is really capable at both ends of the spectrum. Fork it as you see fit.
    My last bike was a light-tubed prototype TNT Flux with an ultralight Nitrous rear end that I had broken once going big. I was under-biked, but my two young male children love to see me ride wheelies down the street and jump thingsThe Nitrous was never designed for that. It's nice to be able to launch this new bike if my old 47 year-old butt gets the inclination. I'm not really that wild. I just like having the peace of mind that my bike can handle it.
    The new Flux really helps smooth out the chunky terrain, but it is light enough to race an occasional cross-country race. I went with a 70mm stem because Turner specs them on their builds and I really liked the demo that I rode with a 70mm stem. You bigger guys might like a longer stem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Wow, that bike is gorgeous in black. I like white too, but would rather go black (and red would be even better...Dave). I'm looking forward to a test ride hopefully this month courtesy of Jeff @ Dirt Merchants in the Seattle area.

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wines of WA View Post
    Wow, that bike is gorgeous in black. I like white too, but would rather go black (and red would be even better...Dave). I'm looking forward to a test ride hopefully this month courtesy of Jeff @ Dirt Merchants in the Seattle area.
    Got a large demo Flux coming in a week or two!
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Got a large demo Flux coming in a week or two!
    Great, looking forward to a test ride, Jeff. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wines of WA View Post
    I'm happy with the black. The sangria red and Czar blue are both amazing colors. I wanted to build a 27.5 aluminum Flux with a blue front triangle and red rear triangle. I don't know that we will ever be able to get a custom painted carbon frame through Turner, but it is nice to dream!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Drop It!

Do yourself a huge favor by foregoing the carbon seatpost and investing in a dropper (Thompson or other brand of choice) instead. You'll be amazed at how the bike becomes more centered and alive on the downhills. And it sounds like you have some good ones out there in Coachella. At a year ahead of you in age, I truly was an ardent believer in being able to ride everything at height on my '07 Flux, and when I upgraded to the V3 Flux, I took the push-button leap, with the only regret of not having done it sooner.

All this SoCal talk reminds me of the time I poached some of the sweet San Jacinto single track during a road trip to the Music Fest in '99!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xprmntl View Post
    Do yourself a huge favor by foregoing the carbon seatpost and investing in a dropper (Thompson or other brand of choice) instead. You'll be amazed at how the bike becomes more centered and alive on the downhills. And it sounds like you have some good ones out there in Coachella. At a year ahead of you in age, I truly was an ardent believer in being able to ride everything at height on my '07 Flux, and when I upgraded to the V3 Flux, I took the push-button leap, with the only regret of not having done it sooner.

All this SoCal talk reminds me of the time I poached some of the sweet San Jacinto single track during a road trip to the Music Fest in '99!
    I only lower my post about 1/2 inch for the big downhills. I've put so many thousands of miles on my cross country bikes over the last three decades that I feel like I am sitting on the ground when I go down more than a half an inch. There isn't a lot of rolling terrain here. We climb like animals straight up and then go back down. I use the quick-release once I get to the top, and I'm done until I put my bike on the rack. Even though our trails are steep, they don't have many big drops where you need a real low post. I have ridden droppers and I don't use them enough to justify the weight. I would use one if I rode in another area.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I only lower my post about 1/2 inch for the big downhills. I've put so many thousands of miles on my cross country bikes over the last three decades that I feel like I am sitting on the ground when I go down more than a half an inch. There isn't a lot of rolling terrain here. We climb like animals straight up and then go back down. I use the quick-release once I get to the top, and I'm done until I put my bike on the rack. Even though our trails are steep, they don't have many big drops where you need a real low post. I have ridden droppers and I don't use them enough to justify the weight. I would use one if I rode in another area.
    The way I see it, with a dropper or lowering my seatpost, I can unlock 100% of the bike's descending ability. Without, I can unlock maybe about 50%. Why am I lugging around all that extra weight and travel if I can't use it to it's maximum extent. I'll have my BikeYoke dropper arriving for my 100mm travel XC bike in a couple days. I may not use that for short races on said bike, but everywhere else, I do.

That said, for some of the flatter places in the country, like midwest, Oklahoma, etc., I can see why it wouldn't be necessary. I've ridden in those and basically they suck for mountain biking and you don't need a lot of travel or things like droppers to ride there.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Beautiful ride. Sounds like DT has been dealing with a pandemonium of paint! I'm waiting for a black Czar since November, when everything that was delivered in December came in blue. So the black went to the Flux! Love that color but I'm already good with my blue Burner. Expecting mid January delivery, the anticipation is killing me!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Carbon flux build thread-hahn-1-14-17.jpg
    This bike is dialed in and it continues to impress on the up and down. I climbed Dunn Road to the Hahn Buena Vista and out Cindy's Trail. The hero dirt after the storm doesn't hurt the traction.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Hi all. Am wrapping my frame in 3m tape at the moment. Noticed that somehow I've got to run the rear brake hose, derailleur cable and dropper cable on top of the down tube, but there is only space for two cables in the black clips. How have others managed this? Zip ties? I think I need a couple of triple cable clips.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
    Hi all. Am wrapping my frame in 3m tape at the moment. Noticed that somehow I've got to run the rear brake hose, derailleur cable and dropper cable on top of the down tube, but there is only space for two cables in the black clips. How have others managed this? Zip ties? I think I need a couple of triple cable clips.
    Mine came with cable clips that can fit two cables on each side of the screw. See photos. If yours didn't, Turner can send you those I bet...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Yep, that's what I'm missing. For some reason mine shipped with the clips for two cables, including under the top tube. I'll get in touch with turnerbikes, though it'll probably be quicker to drop into a local shop and see what they've got. Thanks for the quick reply.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Oh wait, sorry, mine is a RFX, wrong thread....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
    It's much cleaner when you run the cables on the downtube with triple clips. The cables will rub less when the frame pivots. Look at the Flux pictures on the Turner site. I also suggest not using the clips on the headtube because you will get a lot of rub.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikethis View Post
    Beautiful ride. Sounds like DT has been dealing with a pandemonium of paint! I'm waiting for a black Czar since November, when everything that was delivered in December came in blue. So the black went to the Flux! Love that color but I'm already good with my blue Burner. Expecting mid January delivery, the anticipation is killing me!
    I was conversing with DT about overseas production when I ordered my bike and it made me really feel bad for him because it causes a lot of extra headaches because of the slower response time. I wouldn't want to deal with it. People love to get on here and complain about the long waits for frames/parts, but I'm sure DT is doing all that he can. Much of it is out of his hands. Turner has been synonymous for great service and product support for over two decades. This doesn't necessarily factor in to the production end in Asia. Add to this the constantly changing bike market/standards and it makes it really important to not procrastinate when you want to make a Turner purchase and the bike is actually in stock.

Dream it, Do it.
    I was conversing with DT about overseas production when I ordered my bike and it made me really feel bad for him because it causes a lot of extra headaches because of the slower response time. I wouldn't want to deal with it. People love to get on here and complain about the long waits for frames/parts, but I'm sure DT is doing all that he can. Much of it is out of his hands. Turner has been synonymous for great service and product support for over two decades. This doesn't necessarily factor in to the production end in Asia. Add to this the constantly changing bike market/standards and it makes it really important to not procrastinate when you want to make a Turner purchase and the bike is actually in stock.
    I can attest that lead times for bike frames is a constant struggle. The bike industry lags behind many other industries in being able to provide just-in-time manufacturing that the auto industry has been doing since the 70's and 80's (namely Toyota & Honda). The big players (Specialized, Trek, Giant, Cannondale) address this by mandating large orders pre-season for all of their authorized retailers and then addressing the financial investment by providing financing to allow retailers to pay back loans mid-season after (hopefully) selling most of their pre-purchased inventory. IF a retailer fails to pay back their loan, well, at least Specialized now owns you and your shop. Smaller bike manufacturers don't have the financial resources to be able to help retailers finance inventory and that is exactly why you are seeing fewer boutique brands now in brick-and-mortar stores. This is the thin line on which most brick-and-mortar shops are trying to balance.

The other challenge for Turner Bikes is being able to provide the flexibility for custom build kits and reducing the inventory risk of committing big dollars to component spec that buyers may or may not want. I was just talking to David Turner the other day about the amont of thought that goes into what components to order given the lead times required by SRAM and Shimano. Buying too many components that turn out to be not in demand becomes a major inventory issue to work through. I've developed multiple supplier relationships for Dirt Merchant Bikes to work around the impacts of shortages on the component level to allow for just-in-time sourcing for custom build kits, but manufacturing delays on the frame level is tough to address as that is truly the critical path for setting delivery dates with no possibility for alternative suppliers.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I can attest that lead times for bike frames is a constant struggle. The bike industry lags behind many other industries in being able to provide just-in-time manufacturing that the auto industry has been doing since the 70's and 80's (namely Toyota & Honda). The big players (Specialized, Trek, Giant, Cannondale) address this by mandating large orders pre-season for all of their authorized retailers and then addressing the financial investment by providing financing to allow retailers to pay back loans mid-season after (hopefully) selling most of their pre-purchased inventory. IF a retailer fails to pay back their loan, well, at least Specialized now owns you and your shop. Smaller bike manufacturers don't have the financial resources to be able to help retailers finance inventory and that is exactly why you are seeing fewer boutique brands now in brick-and-mortar stores. This is the thin line on which most brick-and-mortar shops are trying to balance.

The other challenge for Turner Bikes is being able to provide the flexibility for custom build kits and reducing the inventory risk of committing big dollars to component spec that buyers may or may not want. I was just talking to David Turner the other day about the amont of thought that goes into what components to order given the lead times required by SRAM and Shimano. Buying too many components that turn out to be not in demand becomes a major inventory issue to work through. I've developed multiple supplier relationships for Dirt Merchant Bikes to work around the impacts of shortages on the component level to allow for just-in-time sourcing for custom build kits, but manufacturing delays on the frame level is tough to address as that is truly the critical path for setting delivery dates with no possibility for alternative suppliers.
    Very true.
    My LBS is so tiny and he keeps almost no stock of anything on hand. The core group of experienced local riders know that Velobum must order the parts that they need from somebody like QBP. Most of the Turners that are purchased through Velobum are custom builds.
    Keeping the right amount of parts for builds on hand is one more difficulty that DT has to deal with. He was telling me the same things that you mentioned.

Dream it, Do it.
    Very true.
    My LBS is so tiny and he keeps almost no stock of anything on hand. The core group of experienced local riders know that Velobum must order the parts that they need from somebody like QBP. Most of the Turners that are purchased through Velobum are custom builds.
    Keeping the right amount of parts for builds on hand is one more difficulty that DT has to deal with. He was telling me the same things that you mentioned.
    Yes, so many things for a brick-and-mortar bike shop to contend with nowadays. You're right in that distributors have adjusted so just about all of them now offer Next Day or at least 2-day shipping so retailers don't have the burden of having to keep everything in stock and having to guess right on what prospective customers might want.

I've focused our business model on the customer experience end of delivering value with no brick-and-mortar store front, but a fleet of demo bikes and now carbon wheels for demo as well to better compete against online only retailers while being able to match e-commerce pricing.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just-in-time only comes with extremely high volumes and extremely good forecasting that high-end bike manufacturers don't (and will likely never) have. I'd argue the fickleness of the current consumer is what is driving the small, high-end producers to be squeezed out of the market. Just look at the beer industry as a mainstream, fickleness example--the number of IPAs and number of $15+ "one-off" beers is a sign of how consumers just want what's "new" and "grander" and not what's necessarily good--that which has gone through iterations toward refinement and balance, and economy.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just-in-time only comes with extremely high volumes and extremely good forecasting that high-end bike manufacturers don't (and will likely never) have. I'd argue the fickleness of the current consumer is what is driving the small, high-end producers to be squeezed out of the market. Just look at the beer industry as a mainstream, fickleness example--the number of IPAs and number of $15+ "one-off" beers is a sign of how consumers just want what's "new" and "grander" and not what's necessarily good--that which has gone through iterations toward refinement and balance, and economy.
    Fortunately, those that are true enthusiasts of bikes and beer still have some influence. I won't let "the record company sell me what they want me to hear!"

Dream it, Do it.
    That's true from the frame manufacturing perspective. From a component perspective, distributors that can serve multiple retailer customers add a lot of value by providing just-in-time access to parts while reducing the inventory risk that any single retailer would face in keeping specific parts on-hand. When I worked for Flex (an electronics contract manufacturer, formerly Flextronics) as they grew from $450 million in revenues to $2 billion in revenues in the mid-90's. That was exactly our setup with distributors co-located on our manufacturing campuses and our taking delivery of components on-demand as needed. On a tangent, the financial advantages of doing just-in-time deliveries might be a driver of a resurgence in US manufacturing especially as manufacturing becomes more automated & if fuel costs go back up in the future.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yes, so many things for a brick-and-mortar bike shop to contend with nowadays. You're right in that distributors have adjusted so just about all of them now offer Next Day or at least 2-day shipping so retailers don't have the burden of having to keep everything in stock and having to guess right on what prospective customers might want.

I've focused our business model on the customer experience end of delivering value with no brick-and-mortar store front, but a fleet of demo bikes and now carbon wheels for demo as well to better compete against online only retailers while being able to match e-commerce pricing.
    That sounds like a good business plan.
    I have known my local shop owner for a few decades. He has a very small store to keep down costs. I give him the first shot at selling me the parts that I need. I always ask if he can get close to online prices. I buy parts from him when he can. In turn, he offers free/discounted service on the parts, if needed. He is a one-man operation.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    That's true from the frame manufacturing perspective. From a component perspective, distributors that can serve multiple retailer customers add a lot of value by providing just-in-time access to parts while reducing the inventory risk that any single retailer would face in keeping specific parts on-hand. When I worked for Flex (an electronics contract manufacturer, formerly Flextronics) as they grew from $450 million in revenues to $2 billion in revenues in the mid-90's. That was exactly our setup with distributors co-located on our manufacturing campuses and our taking delivery of components on-demand as needed. On a tangent, the financial advantages of doing just-in-time deliveries might be a driver of a resurgence in US manufacturing especially as manufacturing becomes more automated & if fuel costs go back up in the future.
    When you're a large manufacturer you can put JIT and other LEAN demands on a supplier. We have those at our plant but it cost.......somewhere down the supply their needs to be inventory.

mtbr member
    May 2010

3d printing will change a lot..

I look forward to the day when frame building goes from molds and hands to 3d printing and carbon / carbon nanotube / who knows what material.

The current industry model reflects the current state of technology availability. The next model will have builders print bikes on demand or thereabouts. Lots of focus now on carbon compaction and the best build method - but its still all done by hand. 3d printing will be a huge change for frames and components - cannot wait!

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbdo View Post
    I look forward to the day when frame building goes from molds and hands to 3d printing and carbon / carbon nanotube / who knows what material.

The current industry model reflects the current state of technology availability. The next model will have builders print bikes on demand or thereabouts. Lots of focus now on carbon compaction and the best build method - but its still all done by hand. 3d printing will be a huge change for frames and components - cannot wait!
    Same here, having that happen will also help bring these jobs back to the US.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Printing molds makes sense. Printing bikes, not-so-much. Printing is inherently slow and directional. For a bike frame, there are a lot of directions to get right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast