Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Make it blacker.

Carbon flux build thread-01f774d1d21b3b08c0072f944a75ac7030b55ab637.jpgCarbon flux build thread-014fdad297a30ab0f94f44e79a4f3078caec38c6af.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Im hoping your cables are just temporarily messed up? I always shudder when I see someone running their front brake line on the outside of the fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Hey guys, I 'd like to hear your opinion about Bottom brackets. I'm not an expert, but after talking with other fellows and wandering a little through the forums looks like most people love threaded/BSA BB while hate Press Fit (PF). Old Turners owners, did you have any trouble regarding creaking or so with the PF BB? I'm a little reluctant to get a new Flux because of the PF BB, hard to understand why DT still uses such of a creaking/troubling BB. Is there anything else that I'm missing? I appreciate your comments!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    How many creaking PF BB have you had to be so against it? I have had four bikes in the last 5 years with PF BB (alloy or carbon) and none has ever creaked once. I have used Chris King PF BB on all, I think the key is to invest on well manufactured BBs and you will be fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous I called Turner Friday to see what the status is on XLs......no specific time given. Looks like I will have to keep riding my outdated aluminum Flux
    Trying to find out timeline on small Flux as well. The only response was they aren't in stock. To the question of when, I got no response. At least some estimate of magnitude would help me decide if I should wait or get something else. Weeks or even a couple months I can handle. 6 months, a year or more, no way!

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JC822 View Post
    How many creaking PF BB have you had to be so against it? I have had four bikes in the last 5 years with PF BB (alloy or carbon) and none has ever creaked once. I have used Chris King PF BB on all, I think the key is to invest on well manufactured BBs and you will be fine.
    I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend anyone, I was just curios about that and since many Turner owners are around here I thought that this could be a good place to learn more about this topic. That's it, I'm not against it at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    No offense, there seems to be a lot of PF BB bashing all over the internet, whether justified or not. I think a lot of this neg rep comes from folks who have used shitty plastic PF BB, or just perpetuate it for the sake of bashing something.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Im hoping your cables are just temporarily messed up? I always shudder when I see someone running their front brake line on the outside of the fork.
    Yup, there were a bunch of temporary installs in that pic due to switching out some components. I know I had also lost one of the cable ties and I was playing with some stuff there. The cables in no way match that pic right now

Here's a pic from later in the season after I had sorted out whatever I was sorting out initially:
    Carbon flux build thread-g0061349.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Elitest thrill junkie
    No offense, there seems to be a lot of PF BB bashing all over the internet, whether justified or not. I think a lot of this neg rep comes from folks who have used shitty plastic PF BB, or just perpetuate it for the sake of bashing something.
    My best BB is the PF30 in my RFX, I got one of those metal Wheels Mfg ones, dead silent. My RF external GXP creaks a bit. I cleaned out and locktite-ed my BB92 to 30mm spindle in my Pivot, but it was creaking a little and I have doubts whether that's going to hold up with the tiny bearings. BB92 is absolutely retarded (because it limits the spindle to 24mm for the intended bearing size).

Dream it, Do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbtt View Post
    Hey guys, I 'd like to hear your opinion about Bottom brackets. I'm not an expert, but after talking with other fellows and wandering a little through the forums looks like most people love threaded/BSA BB while hate Press Fit (PF). Old Turners owners, did you have any trouble regarding creaking or so with the PF BB? I'm a little reluctant to get a new Flux because of the PF BB, hard to understand why DT still uses such of a creaking/troubling BB. Is there anything else that I'm missing? I appreciate your comments!
    I've had good luck overall with the PF30 BB. This PF30 Outboard BB from Wheels Manufacturing goes one step further in addressing any potential creaking issues by threading together drive and non-drive BB shells: PF30 Outboard ABEC-3 BB for 24/22mm Cranks (SRAM, Truvativ, Etc.) - Black
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I've had good luck overall with the PF30 BB. This PF30 Outboard BB from Wheels Manufacturing goes one step further in addressing any potential creaking issues by threading together drive and non-drive BB shells: PF30 Outboard ABEC-3 BB for 24/22mm Cranks (SRAM, Truvativ, Etc.) - Black
    I've got the thread together Wheels with angular contact bearings. Turner uses the thread together Praxis. Both are good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Make it blacker.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01f774d1d21b3b08c0072f944a75ac7030b55ab637.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	413.7 KB 
ID:	1119636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014fdad297a30ab0f94f44e79a4f3078caec38c6af.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	408.0 KB 
ID:	1119637
    Shouldn't this go in the RFX build thread? ...Nice thou, how you liking the coil any issues with it riding deep in the travel or bottoming out?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Need to black out those sidewalls and pop out that DT Swiss logo, maybe even a shock sticker or two.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbtt View Post
    Three different bikes with PF bbs over the last four years, no issues with any of them. All different brands as well. E13, Enduro, and King.
    I know it's popular to bash PF, but I wonder how many people talking trash have spent any time on the system?
    I suspect the majority have heard (or read online) that PF sucks and have decided it must be so.
    I was anxious about the first bike, based on this same situation. After a couple of years of quiet reliable service I became a fan of the system.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dmar123 View Post
    Shouldn't this go in the RFX build thread? ...Nice thou, how you liking the coil any issues with it riding deep in the travel or bottoming out?
    It's tuned by Avalanche and has an extra large bottom-out bumper to aid. I bought it as new old stock for the sole purpose of getting tuned. So it's pretty damn nice, spot on in fact. I use it for big descending days.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Thanks all for your comments, they helped me to understand a little bit better about the BB world.

Don't stop uploading those gorgeous Flux carbon btw, so nice to see them!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Had one bike with PF BB without issue. That said I'll most likely never buy a bike without a threaded BB again. Much easier to work on and in general they creak far less. Again, never had an issue with PF but I would challenge anyone to show me how they are better. Finally I love how even the big boys like Trek and Specialized (not to mention Santa Cruz, Evil and even Niner) are migrating back to threaded BB. Just my .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    Had one bike with PF BB without issue. That said I'll most likely never buy a bike without a threaded BB again. Much easier to work on and in general they creak far less. Again, never had an issue with PF but I would challenge anyone to show me how they are better. Finally I love how even the big boys like Trek and Specialized (not to mention Santa Cruz, Evil and even Niner) are migrating back to threaded BB. Just my .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't see any advantage to a threaded bb.
    With PF you get bigger more durable bearings and no chance of cross threading. It's great to have a couple years on a BB and have the bearings still running smooth. Easy install, can be a little finicky to remove depending on brand.

Headsets were all threaded once....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Here's the frame weigh-in pic that everyone's been waiting for. Sorry for it being upside down, crappy iPhone pic. Med Flux; 5lbs, 8oz. More to follow...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon flux build thread-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    My flux; frame number 21 if I'm interpreting the serial number right. Broke my v3 burner at the weld above the bottom bracket, so swapped most of the bits over to this.

First ride today. Up our local climb (the Tip Track) and down into Wellington CBD to coffee then work for the day. Been doing this ride every Friday with the same guys for the last 15 years.

Anyway:
    Atomlab trail SL wheels
    Fox Factory 140mm 2016 forks
    Reverb 150mm B1 dropper
    Enve bar
    XO drivetrain except cranks, currently Gravity Gradient
    Chester pedals
    m8000 brakes

My 'value add' was to use white heat shrink over the cable housing and hoses where they contact the frame. Purely aesthetics.

Rides amazingly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon flux build thread-flux.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Wellington View Post

My 'value add' was to use white heat shrink over the cable housing and hoses where they contact the frame. Purely aesthetics.

Rides amazingly.
    Nice ride!

Everyone should check their cables on the new Flux and add protection as needed. The shifter cable on mine cut a groove into the frame below the cage mount within 50 miles of riding. I have no protection for the cables on my Czar and there are barely any scratches after 1500 miles so far. Softer carbon maybe???

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by kitsuma View Post
    Here's the frame weigh-in pic that everyone's been waiting for. Sorry for it being upside down, crappy iPhone pic. Med Flux; 5lbs, 8oz. More to follow...
    Are you in Australia?
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by travis bickle View Post
    are you in australia?
    xdddd

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
    My flux; frame number 21 if I'm interpreting the serial number right. Broke my v3 burner at the weld above the bottom bracket, so swapped most of the bits over to this.

First ride today. Up our local climb (the Tip Track) and down into Wellington CBD to coffee then work for the day. Been doing this ride every Friday with the same guys for the last 15 years.

Anyway:
    Atomlab trail SL wheels
    Fox Factory 140mm 2016 forks
    Reverb 150mm B1 dropper
    Enve bar
    XO drivetrain except cranks, currently Gravity Gradient
    Chester pedals
    m8000 brakes

Rides amazingly.
    Nice build, Tip Track, that brings back memories!
    Turner Sultan
    Lynskey Pro 29
    Litespeed Siena

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by therollex View Post
    Nice build, Tip Track, that brings back memories!
    Thanks! Yep, tip track is a good bike weight and geometry testing ground.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've got mine at 24.8lbs. with a 2x drivetrain and large (2.35 and 2.25) tires. I put protection under the cables where they contact the frame as a precaution. I replaced the steel frame bolts with alu. I'm eventually going to use plastic plugs (when I can find them) to fill the bolt holes on the frame that I am not using. There's no point in added weight for no reason.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Are you in Australia?
    I'm in Florida, it's so flat here everything's upside down, lol. Just tried to upload some more pics from my iPhone; still upside down. I'll shoot some pics with a decent camera this weekend and see if that works.

mtbr member

OK, here you go, flipped it over..........

That's a nice weight. Thanks for the share.

Carbon flux build thread-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Pimp my Flux

Here's the Build:
    Turner Flux V4.0
    Fox 34 with Kabolt thru-axle and MRP Ramp Control Cartridge (currently set at 140mm but I have a 130mm air shaft on the way)
    Handlebar: Renthal Fatbar Lite Carbon 740mm
    Stem: Po1nt One Racing Split-Second 70mm
    Headset: Chris King
    Grips: Lizard Skins DSP
    Brakes: Formula T1Racing 160mm rotors front and rear
    Front Shifter: SRAM X.0 Twist (the old one with micro adjust)
    Rear Shifter: Shimano XTR9000
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR9000
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR90000
    Cassette: Shimano XTR9000 11-40
    Chain: KMC X11SL DLC
    Bottom Bracket: Wheels Mfg Threadfit PF30 with ACB bearings
    Crankset: Rotor 3D 172.5 w/ 36t/25t Q-rings
    Pedals: Eggbeaters (have Ti spindle Candy to put on)
    Seat Clamp: Salsa
    Seatpost: 125mm 9Point8 FallLine w/Wolftooth ReMote
    Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Ti rails
    Wheelset: 24 spoke Chi9s (29mm internal width)
    Front Tire: 2.35 Nobby Nic SS Trailstar
    Rear Tire: 2.35 Rock Razor SS Pacestar
    Bottle Cage: King Cage Ti
    Bell: Spurcycle Black DLC
    Other: Lizard Skins Carbon Leather downtube protector

Total Weight:24.56lbs

Carbon flux build thread-img_0502.jpgCarbon flux build thread-img_0501.jpgCarbon flux build thread-img_0500.jpgCarbon flux build thread-img_0496.jpgCarbon flux build thread-img_0494.jpgCarbon flux build thread-img_0493.jpgCarbon flux build thread-img_0492.jpg

Only a couple of rides on it so far. First impression is that it's the best all around bike I have ridden. The fork needs to go down to 130mm to get the head angle where I want it (with the Ramp Control cartridge installed, I won't miss the 10mm reduction in travel). Otherwise, as it's set up, it's going to rip at anything from a pure XC race (got one this Sunday, I'll switch out the 2.35 schwobbles for 2.25s) to Stage Racing (Pisgah Stage Race in a month!) to light Enduro (Enduro section each day at the PSR) to just messing around and having fun in WNC and Florida.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Here's the Build:
    Turner Flux V4.0
    Fox 34 with Kabolt thru-axle and MRP Ramp Control Cartridge (currently set at 140mm but I have a 130mm air shaft on the way)
    Handlebar: Renthal Fatbar Lite Carbon 740mm
    Stem: Po1nt One Racing Split-Second 70mm
    Headset: Chris King
    Grips: Lizard Skins DSP
    Brakes: Formula T1Racing 160mm rotors front and rear
    Front Shifter: SRAM X.0 Twist (the old one with micro adjust)
    Rear Shifter: Shimano XTR9000
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR9000
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR90000
    Cassette: Shimano XTR9000 11-40
    Chain: KMC X11SL DLC
    Bottom Bracket: Wheels Mfg Threadfit PF30 with ACB bearings
    Crankset: Rotor 3D 172.5 w/ 36t/25t Q-rings
    Pedals: Eggbeaters (have Ti spindle Candy to put on)
    Seat Clamp: Salsa
    Seatpost: 125mm 9Point8 FallLine w/Wolftooth ReMote
    Saddle: Selle Italia SLR Ti rails
    Wheelset: 24 spoke Chi9s (29mm internal width)
    Front Tire: 2.35 Nobby Nic SS Trailstar
    Rear Tire: 2.35 Rock Razor SS Pacestar
    Bottle Cage: King Cage Ti
    Bell: Spurcycle Black DLC
    Other: Lizard Skins Carbon Leather downtube protector

Total Weight:24.56lbs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0502.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	423.8 KB 
ID:	1126633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0501.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	439.8 KB 
ID:	1126634Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0500.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	446.5 KB 
ID:	1126635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0496.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	331.2 KB 
ID:	1126636Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0494.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	376.4 KB 
ID:	1126637Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0493.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	407.0 KB 
ID:	1126638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0492.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	438.7 KB 
ID:	1126639

Only a couple of rides on it so far. First impression is that it's the best all around bike I have ridden. The fork needs to go down to 130mm to get the head angle where I want it (with the Ramp Control cartridge installed, I won't miss the 10mm reduction in travel). Otherwise, as it's set up, it's going to rip at anything from a pure XC race (got one this Sunday, I'll switch out the 2.35 schwobbles for 2.25s) to Stage Racing (Pisgah Stage Race in a month!) to light Enduro (Enduro section each day at the PSR) to just messing around and having fun in WNC and Florida.
    Nice build. I have been adding a little blue to mine also because I already got tired of the all black. I ended up being way under-braked. So, I am about to order a set of blue Hope E4 brakes to brighten up the look. I would recommend to any aggressive rider over 150lbs. to stay away from cross country brakes because the Flux will make you faster. My rear rotor is skortched!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Did you have any issues with fitting the XTR front derailleur? Turner informed me that an XTR front would not play nice with the Flux and their website still reads as follows:

"The XTR kit will come with a Shimano XT front derailleur, as the XTR front derailleur will not fit on the Flux properly."

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Kitsuma is running the "side swing" XTR (M9020) with front pull cable routing. DT was likely referring to the traditional "down swing" (M9025), top pull XTR. I asked DT what he thought of side swing in June of last year, as I was wanting to put on my wife's V3 Flux, and he hadn't tried it on his bikes--he's all about the 1X, now. They may need to update their website...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TTTURNER View Post
    Nice build. I have been adding a little blue to mine also because I already got tired of the all black. I ended up being way under-braked. So, I am about to order a set of blue Hope E4 brakes to brighten up the look. I would recommend to any aggressive rider over 150lbs. to stay away from cross country brakes because the Flux will make you faster. My rear rotor is skortched!
    Don't write off the Hope X2s yet. I had a set for many years and they're great brakes once you dial them in. Get a set of Goodrich stainless lines and change the pads from organic to sintered. That will give your X2s the power you're looking for. I ran a M4 front caliper (it's the same as the E4 one); you can call the Hope USA office and they'll get you on a new front caliper. My brother is using my Hope brake set, 5 years old and still running strong.

If you're looking for outright braking power, I'd recommend a Formula T1 brake set. Finicky AF (it's Italian!) but it'll give you the bite you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yep, it's the XTR side-swing. No prob setting it up. Best front dérailleur ever. I thought about getting an Eagle group, but I had the XTR stuff in the parts bin and didn't want to spend the money on a new drivetrain. Besides, I have the Rotor crankset; while heavy by today's standards, it's 7 years old and still running strong. It also allows me to run the chainrings I prefer. If I ran the Eagle, I'd have to run an Absolute Black 32t chainring to approximate the range I get from the 25/36 2x setup. But I prefer a 36t ring for FL trails and descending in the mountains, which means I need the 25t little ring for climbing in the mountains. So I'll take the weight penalty.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Don't write off the Hope X2s yet. I had a set for many years and they're great brakes once you dial them in. Get a set of Goodrich stainless lines and change the pads from organic to sintered. That will give your X2s the power you're looking for. I ran a M4 front caliper (it's the same as the E4 one); you can call the Hope USA office and they'll get you on a new front caliper. My brother is using my Hope brake set, 5 years old and still running strong.

If you're looking for outright braking power, I'd recommend a Formula T1 brake set. Finicky AF (it's Italian!) but it'll give you the bite you're looking for.
    The Hope X2 brakes are the only parts from my old bike other than the XTR 970 pedals. They are about 5 years old and it did take a while to get them set up properly. The sintered pads provide a little more power, but they squeal constantly in the the dry desert conditions here. The organic pads are very quiet. I thought about the braided hose, but I don't think it would offer enough improvement. I just put a new standard hose on the rear.
    The X2's have been solid, but they are about ready for a complete rebuild and I would rather just have a more powerful brake. I may also have to go to a bigger rotor.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xprmntl View Post
    Kitsuma is running the "side swing" XTR (M9020) with front pull cable routing. DT was likely referring to the traditional "down swing" (M9025), top pull XTR. I asked DT what he thought of side swing in June of last year, as I was wanting to put on my wife's V3 Flux, and he hadn't tried it on his bikes--he's all about the 1X, now. They may need to update their website...
    The side swing Shimano front derailleurs are awesome. I got the XT FD-M8020-D as I mentioned in an earlier post. The side swing derailleurs are very smooth and take less effort to actuate. They are definitely the best performing front derailleurs that I have tried. It's sad that the front derailleur has gotten so good and very few people want them.
    I wanted the XTR side swing front derailleur, but my shop owner said that they weren't available or didn't fit (I can't remember which) in December when I built my bike. He was tired of modifying the rockers on Turners to fit the top pull derailleurs and he didn't sound excited to do it for my bike. I had the direct mount XT side swing front derailleur set up properly in about 2 minutes. Also, it works great with Sram twist shifters. Unfortunately, you have to go down to the GX line-up, but I don't believe that there is any difference between the GX and higher end twist shifters other than the graphics.

mtbr member
    How about tire clearance?

Will the Nobby Nic 2.6 fit in there?

E

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I noticed that you are not using the cable clamps closest to the head tube. I also found that using those clamps forced a tight bend radius and that I could feel the reaction force of the cables when turning the bars, I am not using them either. It looks like you have some type of plug in the screw holes, if you found something that works could you share with us what it is and where to get them?

Thanks for confirming the XTR front derailleur, I just ordered one to put on my bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sounds like you're due for a new brakeset. The Hope E3s will do the trick. If you haven't ordered them yet, I recommend getting the stainless lines. They provide a substantial power improvement over the standard lines.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I started out using the cable clamps on the head tube, but I was standing with the bike and the one of the bolts just popped out on its own. As a result, I have better cable routing. I stole the plugs for the holes off my Knolly Warden. Sorry, don't know where to get them. One solution would to be to fill the holes with black silicone from the hardware store.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    A 2.6 Nic might fit but it will be a tight one if it does. The 2.35 Rock Razor on the 29i rim fits well and provides plenty of float.

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    A 2.6 Nic might fit but it will be a tight one if it does. The 2.35 Rock Razor on the 29i rim fits well and provides plenty of float.
    I have the 2.6 Nobby Nic mounted to Derby rims on my Flux v3.0......plenty of room.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    I have the 2.6 Nobby Nic mounted to Derby rims on my Flux v3.0......plenty of room.
    Any issue with chain line?

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Any issue with chain line?
    I'm still running a 2X on the Flux but will be converting to 1X in the summer. No issues what so ever. Their was someone on the forum that stuffed a NN 2.8 on a Flux v3.0 with no issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

flowrider build looks nice!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Let's see some more builds!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12