ride

Can't wait - gonna have me a 5 Spot by the weekend

I've been on a Sultan for the last 6 months or so. I definitely liked it but wasn't in love so much. I'm a 29er proponent, but the Sultan just wasn't the bike for me.

A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to ride one of my old 26" bikes that I had sold over a year ago. I loved it. It was weird hopping on a 26" bike after riding nothing but 29er for the better part of a year but it felt good. We even rode a really steep and technical rock strewn wheel sucker downhill that those big wheels really munch up but the 26er was in the house!

I liked the small wheeled ride so much, in fact, that I decided to build up a 5 Spot as my main ride. The Sultan found a new home last week. I wish I could have the new bike done to ride today, but I've got a few projects to finish before I can get my new ride . At least the new Spot will be built up for this coming weekends pursuits. I'm looking forward to it.

I'll toss some pics up once I get it built. Maybe even one on the couch.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

Lay off the Levers
    Welcome back to sanity.

Faster is better, even when it's not.

Outcast
    Dave, congrats on escaping the 29'er cult. Hope their brainwashing didn't cause permanent damage.
    FWIW, every front range rider knows that the Turner 26 inch wheeled bike of choice for riding Hall ranch is the Highline.

gravity curmudgeon
    I thought the Highline was an endurance racer.

Have fun on the 5spot Dave! Looking forward to seeing how you build it up.

mtbr member
    Ah, I think you will really like the new Spot. I thought you had a Spider 29er but I guess you had a Sultan. Let us know how you like your Spot, especially when compared to an older one. I think it is one of the very best trailbikes it its class (~5"/69 HA/etc.).

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Hmmm

Are you gonna rewrite the Flux vs Spot article on the Redstone website after you ride the Spot for awhile?

bobo

Love the spot...

Bodhisattva
    Must be a Boulder County thing. Sounds like the Kool-Aid there has been watered down.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Team Blindspot
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Must be a Boulder County thing. Sounds like the Kool-Aid there has been watered down.
    I think you are right. The Boulder county God's are conspiring to keep me from coming north to ride your Sultan. The insanity!!
    Astigmatic Visionary

Outcast
    That dick of a sheriff that larimer county has will bust any boulder county residents coming north anyway...

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    That dick of a sheriff that larimer county has will bust any boulder county residents coming north anyway...
    Yes. We're quite pleased with the work he's done and are hoping he nails a few extra Boulderites so he meets his production bonus.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Outcast
    Bad cop! No deep fried tofu donuts for him!

ride
    The Spot/Flux article has been taken down for a while now since the info is pretty much out of date with both bikes being reworked, etc. I'm looking forward to the ride of the new Spot over the old - should suit me a little better, plus my XC ass is getting used to muscling around bikes with slacker head angles now, too. My riding style has gotten a lot more aggressive as of late.

I'll have it built relatively conservatively (cause that's what I have hanging around for parts...) Fox Float 140, XT or X9 build, some light wheels I had around, might splurge for some Oro Bianco or K24 brakes, though - I really like their feel.

Blue Mountain - I had both a Sultan and a Spider 29. I'm keeping the Spider - I really like the way it rides. I'm not a big fan of the rear end flex (Sultan is quite superior in that aspect) but I actually really like the steep head angle.
    Redstone Cyclery
    turner*intense*transition*REEB*Rocky Mt
    web - tweet - FB
    Lyons, CO

trail fairy
    What BZ and Rene said!

Nice to see some balanced points there too ignaz from someone whos been on both sides, its just not for you like DH is not for everyone!

Areas can have effect on some bikes but I think a classic is something that rides well anywhere, not neccesarily the best but always feels good, bit like suspension, if its setup well it will ride well anywhere..

But the Spot is a classic enjoy and look forward to seeing ya build and color
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

MW
    mtbr member
    Hey Dave. Minor thread hijack here, but I wanted to give you a nod for helping round-out my '06 5.5 Spot project . . . just back from the CO/UT "christening" trip, and I gotta say the Spot sings. Perfect call on the Formula K18s: all the power my tires could handle, plus *excellent* low-speed modulation (none of the grabby-grabby I'd had with Avid Ultimates on my Flux).

Thanks again, and post build pics when you have 'em.

--MW