mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Cant mount front derailleur correctly

I building my new flux and I cant mount my sram x.7 derailleur high enough because the pivot bracket is in the way. Do I need a different derailleur? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Have tried setting the low limit a bit higher? Just a thought. I dunno.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - Brand Manager
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

Captain Underpants
    Hmm, that does not look good. What size frame? Soemone may chime in about a mod.

An XT 760 top pull should work for sure and they are pretty cheap.
    Last edited by Random Drivel; 12-23-2006 at 06:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Its a large frame ...

I just tried an older xt derailleur that I borrowed and it just barley fits.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    It seems like that extra brace has just a little to much welding. Looking through the pics in the setup thread, some have that extra brace and some dont. I wonder why it be there sometimes and not others?

Captain Underpants
    Just went back and lookes at all the pivot brackets (or whatever you call them) on all the Flux setups. Looks like the bracket changes somewhere in the middle of the 2005 model year. You have the longer bracket (as do I on my Flux) the only Front Derr I saw on bikes with the longer bracket was either the XT or XTR, both top pull. looks like your x.7 is too big.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mstone
    It seems like that extra brace has just a little to much welding. Looking through the pics in the setup thread, some have that extra brace and some dont. I wonder why it be there sometimes and not others?
    The extra brace was added at some point in 05, there was a problem with frame strength on the larger frames, the brace was the fix for that.

I have an 06 medium and it does not have the brace.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Follow up

Got a new Shimano XT FD-M761 Front Derailleur (Bottom Swing), which does fit.

Thanks all.

mtbr member
    I realise you have solved the problem, however I noticed on my XL 2006 Flux that the SRAM X-Gen front derailleur has been modified (little sections filed) away in order to make it fit properly. I tucks right under the lower shock mount.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by mstone
    Got a new Shimano XT FD-M761 Front Derailleur (Bottom Swing), which does fit.

Thanks all.
    glad ya got it fingered out. youll like the xt much better than the x7 anyway. ive got a new x9 for my rfx and im lookin forward to tryin it out.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Members who have read this thread: 0