yohyatt
    Mar 2009

Can't decide - Revolt or DHR - Chain slap?

I was reading a review about the Revolt and I like that the the person said that there was virtually no chain slap.

I guess the DHR doesn't have elevated chain stays so it can keep the wait lower, so I was wondering if anyone had any input of the DW DHR on how the chain slap is.

(I'd just go and get the revolt, if it is available, but not sure if i want a modified single pivot). Interesting though how DW says that the DHR and Revolt might be the 2 most comparable DH bikes on the market. He even says that the Revolt does have some compromises in pedaling and braking - so it must be negligable, right?

Locs on Spokez
    If you're trying to make a decision based on chain slap I honestly have no idea what to tell you because that is pretty ridiculous.... nonetheless

Revolt is a single pivot. Yes it will schmobb really hard. Yes it has minor drawbacks.
    DHR is dw link. Yes it will dominate the mountain. Yes the chain will slap. Yes it owns moar.

Sounds like you're set with a Revolt anyway but I can assure you there is no way in hell you'll be disappointed with either option.
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You may also want consider the reports of Revolt failures and the lack of customer service. The name Evil has been around awhile but is the new Evil really a bike company? Ok they do produce a few bikes and sponsor some quality riders but is the company really into it. Maybe its just a hobby for the owner.Yes kind of harsh I know. But Turner has been around and is proven and nobody can argue with there customer service. Maybe I am a little bias.

Locs on Spokez
    Dude you just threw down some huge assumptions

Assumptions are bad. Obviously both companies are in it because they're passionate for the sport as neither would dedicate nearly as much effort into their products if they're just in it for shits-n-gigs. But yah, Turner is where it's at without a doubt
    Ground Steeze. @iggy_strbac

yohyatt
    Mar 2009

ya- heard about some of that poor customer service

thought i might have been a fluke - there's always a good and always a bad story floating around somewhere.

30-ton War Machine
    The Revolt has one of DW's designs as well............

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edgerat
    The Revolt has one of DW's designs as well............
    Helped design it not a full fledged DW design like DW Link-Turner, Ibis and Pivot or
    SP- Split Pivot on the Devinci Wilson 2011
    2014 Santa Cruz Solo c.
    2012 Spec Demo 8 red/blk/yeiiow

Dan@sidsbikes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    chain slap is your main criteria for what bike to buy? that is literally the best question asked on the homer board in the past month.

mtbr member
    I had no intention of getting a new DH bike for the 2011 season, but after finally getting to ride the production version of the new DHR I've changed my plans. I was truly amazed by this bike at a place that most DH bikes don't do so well.
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

WIRVNTANASHRSH?
    Chain slap isn't all frame anyway. I find that most of the 'chain slap' noise is actually the chain hitting the front der. and the rear der spring taking back up tension. In fact, I notice very little difference in 'chain slap' noise on my asymmetric DW flux than I did on my old flux.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by quickneonrt
    Helped design it not a full fledged DW design like DW Link-Turner, Ibis and Pivot or
    A bit of mis information up ^^here^^.

Actually, the linkage system which is different than Split Pivot or DW Link WAS designed by Dave Weagle. They called it DELTA as a tongue-in-cheek acronym, but it is a linkage system designed by DW himself.

The linkage and hardware failures of the v1 revolts have been addressed, as far as I know. I've got a handful of buddies on these and had those issues resolved with the updated hardware and bits.

My one concern about the revolt is the ability to get replacement parts (or frame) if there's an issue. They, like a lot of mfgr's this year, have seemed to be behind on replacement frames and parts when customer's have needed them.

As far as buying a bike because of more/less chain slap. WTF?

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by quickneonrt
    I was responsible for the baseline geometry (lowest and slackest setting) and all suspension kinematics on the Revolt. I also helped with the initial Industrial Design. Evil decided on the secondary geometry in-house (I adjusted did a little math to help there but the total amount that they wanted to change the geometry was up to them) and they had a 3rd party handle the mechanical design. The latest Evil frames are engineered in-house by their engineer Evan, but these bikes won't see the public eye for a while.

I did all of the geometry and suspension kinematics on the Pivot Phoenix. I also provided some initial ID work. They took care of all production Industrial Design frame engineering in-house.

I was responsible for suspension kinematics on the latest version on the DHR. Like almost all current Turners, we discuss geometry to a point of obsession, usually with me trying to convince DT towards an extreme , and DT makes all final decisions there. I am really happy with where we ended up on geometry, we really pushed our limits on this one and I think that the bike came out amazing.

On the Devinci Wilson, I did all suspension kinematics and acted as a sounding board on geometry. The only place that I really had a direct influence on geometry on the Devinci was convincing them to go to a 20mm longer TT on all sizes (after riding the prototypes). I also did some initial ID work, but Devinci went in a pretty different direction than where I initially envisioned it going.
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

_dw
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My Revolt is pretty much silent, and the DHR is not too bad either, we will have some custom dw-DHR chainstay protectors coming this Winter, I just placed the sample order with the vendor last week.

Dave
    dw★link
    Split Pivot
    @daveweagle -Twitter

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by climr
    Chain slap isn't all frame anyway. I find that most of the 'chain slap' noise is actually the chain hitting the front der. and the rear der spring taking back up tension. In fact, I notice very little difference in 'chain slap' noise on my asymmetric DW flux than I did on my old flux.
    pretty sure any chain slap on a revolt or a DHR wouldn't have anything to do with a front derailler

yohyatt
    Mar 2009

DW - Can you explain what the differences are between Phoenix and DHR?

Sounds like they might be pretty similar. Working towards my first Turner - but not sure if I'll be able to demo both of them.

yohyatt
    Mar 2009

Which shock?

Saw a cool vid of DT and he was recommending the Elka. Anyone else have good experience with this shock on this bike?
    Sounds tempting since it is tuned for this bike - is the RC4 tuned for the DHR?

Delirious Tuck
    yohyat... check out the DHR thread... DW goes into detail about the tune there I think.

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by yohyat
    Saw a cool vid of DT and he was recommending the Elka. Anyone else have good experience with this shock on this bike?
    Sounds tempting since it is tuned for this bike - is the RC4 tuned for the DHR?
    I am enjoying the Elka on my new DHR very much. More controlled ride than the RC4, IMO.
    The RC4 that comes with the DHR is tuned for the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1soulrider
    I am enjoying the Elka on my new DHR very much. More controlled ride than the RC4, IMO.
    The RC4 that comes with the DHR is tuned for the bike.
    Can you elaborate on the difference between the RC4 and the Elka?

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    The Elka is made in Canada and the Fox is made in California.

mtbr member

Can't hear a thing :)

Though I have slapped a little extra protection on

Btw the chain was absolutely goosed (now changed)
    Stay off the brakes

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    The RC4 feels a bit choppier where the Elka smoothes out the terrain better. The Elka makes the bike feel more calm and composed through the rough stuff adding confidence to the ride. I also noticed it holds traction better as a result of sticking to the ground more than the Fox does.