eastman

New question here. Cane Creek - AD12 on a Turner

I’m probably in the minority with this question…but has any had any experience with an AD12 on their Turner?

I have 1.5 year old o2 that came stock with this shock, and it seems to leak air every once in a while.

Sent it back to the gents at cane creek 3+ times for a look and rebuild…and still the leak continues. During my last conversation, they mentioned that the air loss could be due to the frame…something about a misalignment in the frame (sorry, my ears turned off at this point)?

Anyway, they did finally agree to send a replacement shock. But this still leaves me wondering if my frame could somehow cause the shock to leak on occasions.

If anyone has had a similar experience, please let me know.

Thanks!

-e

No, that's not phonetic
    Flexy frames will cause side-loading on the shock. This usually manifests itself by the eyelet bushings and reducers wearing out very quickly (since they are being twisted out of axis all the time). I guess it could cause enough deformation in the shock to allow air to escape past the seals as they claim, but frame flex is not normally something Turners are known for...

Does it loose air during the ride, or sitting there? If the pressure drops while the bike is sitting in the garage, CC is talking out their butts. If it happens while you ride, that is harder to pinpoint since it could be a basic shock defect or due to what they are claiming. Are your pivots in good shape and how fast do you go through eyelets and reducers? Pump that sucker up hard and submerge it in water and find out where the leak is. "Bend" it while under water and see if you can enduce a leak through side loading.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

eastman

Good job!

Yeah, I had a hard time believing that the loss was due to frame flex, or possible misalignment.

Good questions…it seems like the majority of air loss occurs when riding, but some air definitely leaks while sitting. I put 200lbs in last night and had a little under 190lbs this morning.

As far as “pivots being in good shape and how fast I go through eyelets and reducers”…I repacked all the main pivots this spring, and thanks to your web info, everything is set to the proper torque specifications. Not a hint of side play; like new.

Not sure about the question re eyelets/reducers…but the shock and swingarm eyelets have no visible signs of deformation…they look like they did when it was new. And the two attaching bolts, washers, and nuts, are set at the right torque and check out O.K.

Could the cause also be attributable to improper pressure in the shock – too much or too little pressure for a given rider weight? CC recommends about 10lbs of pressure above your weight…185lb rider…195lbs of pressure. With the rigidity of the Turner frame, I usually set pressure right at or slightly above my weight…185. Can’t imagine this would cause long term problems with the shock?

Thanks for the suggestions…I’ll give the shock a bath tonight while holding out for the replacement…hopefully that will nip this thing.

-e

mtbr member
    eastman: what did you find about the shock?