aka DJ Papi

Smile Can a FLUX be set-up & used for 4X?

Hi all...

I want to build a 4X Turner race bike but I do not know which specific frame to use.

Currently, I have a young aggressive sponsored rider that is racing 4X on my personal pushed Spot. This is OK for me but I don't get to ride my Spot anymore due to its racing schedule.

Now, I think I should build one just for 4X racing but I have no clue which Turner frame to use... Jarett @ TB told me to shortshock a Spot for 4X... I do not have a spare Spot around to attempt this... What I have on hand, is a spare 2008 FLUX frame...

Can the FLUX take the beating of 4X racing? Or do I "frankenbuild" a Turner 4X bike?

I'd like to get info, feedback & specs from the rest of the Homers out there who are more familiar on this than I am.... CHEERS TO ALL!!

Hisforever
    I would ride a flux for 4x racing. That would be a fun bike. 4x is all about flow, maintaining rhythm, and keeping it smooth. the frame should be able to handle this no problem. some guys are using this frame for DJ duty just to put it into perspective.

This use is not recommended, but it can be done. maybe the young buck should ride the flux and you can short shock the 5spot????
    Jesus Saves

aka DJ Papi
    Quote Originally Posted by SHAHEEB
    I would ride a flux for 4x racing. That would be a fun bike. 4x is all about flow, maintaining rhythm, and keeping it smooth. the frame should be able to handle this no problem. some guys are using this frame for DJ duty just to put it into perspective.

This use is not recommended, but it can be done. maybe the young buck should ride the flux and you can short shock the 5spot????
    Ei shaheeb... thanks for the input... appreciate it... any suggestions as to the setup for the 4X Flux? cheers bro!!

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I was under the impression that the Flux frame wasn't meant for much airtime, hence why the Spot was recommended.

aka DJ Papi
    Quote Originally Posted by 6thElement
    I was under the impression that the Flux frame wasn't meant for much airtime, hence why the Spot was recommended.
    Hey 6th... this is why Im an doing an inquiry on this matter... I have back-read and I've read that the FLUX can do more than just marathon and/or aggressive XC... thanks for the input though...

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    i hear tales of flux's (or is that fluxi ?) on the 4x course under very smooth riders. there was a long discussion on this very thing last year not long before ta tried to remove his own head. might be worth lookin up.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    i hear tales of flux's (or is that fluxi ?) on the 4x course under very smooth riders.
    That is the key; what riders like Robbie can get away with on a Flux and what I can are two very different things.
    A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Well,

Last season Turner did make a special run of Turner 4X SL frames, here is mine.

I heard Turner wouldn't be doing a run for 2008, but mayeb there are a few arround, although not many were made.

Andrew Neethling used to ride a FLux for 4X, and Dirt Jumping, but I think they used shorter I2I shocks 6"x 1.25" to change the angles and get a lower BB. At least that was what they used on the XCE frames when Carter was still riding a restickered Turner XCE.

The Custom 4X frames use RFX Headtube, 5 spot main tube,s Flux rear with different cable routing and Sultan links and lower shock mounts, from what I understand.

The Flux does have a very thin headtube, so could ovalize easier, mayeb a longer insert headset like a Steelset?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    all great info. the only issue i see with a steelset is if the flux ht is deep enough to make it worthwhile. its butted internally if i remember it correctly so it may be like armorin up a corvette for battle, it would be fast as hell but wouldnt last any longer.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

all true

try to find a 4'Cross bike from the last few years, money better spent.

DT

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what your 4X course are like but in Australia, the Flux would be too fragile for the job.

I doubt the main tubes would come off that well if any of the rider collisions I've seen are anything to go by...
    More bikes than you can point a broken spoke at...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hey EMRS,
    I have one of the original 13 4X bikes built a couple of years ago. It's been sitting in my garage collecting dust. I was gunna put it in the classifieds in the next week or two. Interested? Email me and I'll send you pics and stuff.
    Moe
    slowmoe00@hotmail.com

Silence and Thunder...
    Gotta ask - I know nothin' about 4X racing & bikes. But the few pix I've seen here (like above) make me curious as to the trailability of that setup.
    How would one of those work as a burly, all around trail bike...???
    ...every day sends future to past...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'd try the '08 flux frame you have with a custom set of rockers (know a machinist?) rather than a short shock. Something to lower the BB slightly and slack out the HT 1 degree or so. Add soft, grippy tires, 100mm fork, single ring & guide and a 50mm thomson... shake well and serve up the berms.

aka DJ Papi
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    try to find a 4'Cross bike from the last few years, money better spent.

DT
    Thank you DT and thanks to all who replied here... I guess my quest to find a 4X frame will start... gotta email moe now... cheers to all !!!