Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Listen! Calling all Phoenix, AZ Homers

I'll be coming down to the Phoenix area to spend Thanksgiving with my in-laws and was wondering if there are any Homers that would like to play tour guide and show me your local favorites. I doubt I'll have any time on Thursday unless it was a quick spin in the morning close to where I'm staying in Scottsdale. I will however have time to ride on Friday and Saturday, and will have my own vehicle to meet you at your trailhead of choice. Hopefully you're not all leaving for other destinations.

Powered by ice cream.
    I am not a Homer and I don't live in Phoenix, but if you want to make the 90 min drive up to Prescott, I can help.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    prescotts worth it crash. the ride down spruce mtn's twisties is mega fun and a sweet pay off for the ugly climb to the tower at the top. good times await in town after. but dont miss what s. mtn has to offer. its the class of the field in the metro area. there are some excellent rides in snottsdale and can be done in a quick mannor dependin on what part of town yer stayin. its a huge, spread out area if yer not already aware.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mr. wonderful
    you're on crash, no worries and no need to drive up to prescott. there's plenty in town to keep you grinning for a couple of days. we're doing a national tip-to-tip-to-tip on friday. jod and dirtyd are joining us for that one. it'll be long and fun and give you a large dose of somo. lets plan on goat camp for saturday, depending on how the legs feel after friday. that would give you the 2 best rides in phoenix. glad you can make it.

i never got tires on goat camp before i left town and i keep hearin how cool it is. please take some pics for me and post some info. you kids have fun and remember how home sick this all makes me. if the goat doesnt work out consider hawes. its pretty solid stuff and lots of b lines if ya keep yer eyes open.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    you're on crash, no worries and no need to drive up to prescott. there's plenty in town to keep you grinning for a couple of days. we're doing a national tip-to-tip-to-tip on friday. jod and dirtyd are joining us for that one. it'll be long and fun and give you a large dose of somo. lets plan on goat camp for saturday, depending on how the legs feel after friday. that would give you the 2 best rides in phoenix. glad you can make it.

You gotta do the National tip to tip ride. It is amazing, and becoming a day after Thanksgiving tradition for our crew. It is about a 20-25 mile ride depending on the route back, but it is the BEST ride in Phoenix, period.

DB, Goat Camp Saturday? Damn, that is a brutal back to back ride. I'M IN!!!
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

hey ti. where is goat camp anyway? i think it came to be right after i left. i dunno.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Living the Dream

Damn Dude

Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    I'll be coming down to the Phoenix area to spend Thanksgiving with my in-laws and was wondering if there are any Homers that would like to play tour guide and show me your local favorites. I doubt I'll have any time on Thursday unless it was a quick spin in the morning close to where I'm staying in Scottsdale. I will however have time to ride on Friday and Saturday, and will have my own vehicle to meet you at your trailhead of choice. Hopefully you're not all leaving for other destinations.
    I wish you were going out there for New Years instead so I could return the favor of playing Tour Guide. I would ride South Mountain Both Days. IMHO, it is the best trail in Arizona, especially during the winter. There are plenty of miles for two days worth of riding. Jayem and Durtgurl both post on the Turner Forum and AZ forum and can recommend/lead great rides. I would ride National, Mormom, Geronimo, and Holbert (all South Mountain Trails). South Mountain is Soooo Fun! It has great drops, stairs, tech climbs, slickrock and it is incredibly flowy. Have a great time!

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...1_4513crx.aspx
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    hey ti. where is goat camp anyway? i think it came to be right after i left. i dunno.

Goat Camp is located in the White tank mountains which are in the West Valley (not too far from Luke Air Force Base). You ride Mesquite trail west and you climb, climb, and climb some more. You end up just short of the towers on the tanks (much higher elevation than SOMO). Then you hit the Goat Camp DH which is about 3.5 miles of the most damaging, non stop, brtual, and scary DH in the valley. Ride this and EVERYTHING at SOMO is a joke. Holbert, Geronimo, Mormon to 24th street, all jokes. There are no shuttle runs here, it is very desolate. Here are a few pics from EpicRider who often leads the rides. Remember, the pictures do not do any justice to the terrain.

http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/th...s.php?album=91

Living the Dream

Do you guys hit Mormon, Holbert, or Geronimo on that?

Cause I think Crash would have so much fun on those sections.
    "And I shout that your all fakes and you should have seen the look on your face"

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpenglow
    Cause I think Crash would have so much fun on those sections.
    No, we hit National from one end of the mountain to the other and back. 14.3 miles 1 way. We will likely hit the road back a bit to Ranger and climb up there. The final descent into San Juan would be nearly impossible to climb. West of Telegraph on National gets to be challenging in a few spots.

wowsa! when did that open? that looks burley and fun as hell. seems to be a bit of a otb fest as well. is the exposure as ugly as it looks? thanx for the e-tour ti. did i see hints of the original xc race course in there and how did ya ride to the falls, or should i even ask? thanx again. ill be callin next time i come home.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Living the Dream

That Sounds fun awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    No, we hit National from one end of the mountain to the other and back. 14.3 miles 1 way. We will likely hit the road back a bit to Ranger and climb up there. The final descent into San Juan would be nearly impossible to climb. West of Telegraph on National gets to be challenging in a few spots.
    I'd recommend me Crash spend a second day on National hitting the Sections he missed like Mormon, Geronimo, Holbert Etc. I just love SOMO.

Knollician
    wowsa! when did that open? that looks burley and fun as hell. seems to be a bit of a otb fest as well. is the exposure as ugly as it looks? thanx for the e-tour ti. did i see hints of the original xc race course in there and how did ya ride to the falls, or should i even ask? thanx again. ill be callin next time i come home.
    That trail has alway been there. I rode in on my SS a few times about 4 years back and the trail was very different then. You couldn't even tell that there was a trail. Now, with the rapid sprawl here (houses are being built near the base of the mountain) the hiking population has clean the trail up a bit.

This trail is further south than the competition loops. When entering the park, the competition loops are to the right, follow the road, up through the saddle then head straight into the parking lot. Goat camp, pull into the park, park immediately to the left, this is where goat camp ends. We start by riding a nice warmup by riding the road over the saddle, then hop on Ford Canyon (I think that is the name) over to Waddell, back to Mesquite.

YES, the exposure is extreme on this ride. Penalty for failure is high. The last 3.5 mile DH (Goat Camp) is nothing but jagged, sharp, granite on the side of a cliff. Then you have a few special obstacles like the "Spiral Staircase" and "Jack Hammer" thrown in for good measure.

The first drop into the trail brings a very steep and loose babyhead descent with extreme exposure and a few nice jagged drops in for fun. So, you enter this thing going down steeper than anything you will find at SOMO, skating on the rocks as they might as well be marbles, then trying to lineup for a nasty drop with a nice tombstoned series of rocks just begging to get you over the handlebars. Once you get through that, then you have probably the roughest rock descent through super tight, derailluer eating ledges to the spiral staircase. Hit that (yeah right!!) then some nice off-camber (to the exposer side) rocks to Jack Hammer. Good luck with a line through there, then the rest is nothing but stairs, drops, and just downright brutal riding to the bottom. Just when you get out of the steeps, and think it is over, you have to work your a$$ off to get back to the parking lot.

Just a note, I hiked this with my wife a few weeks back, and the grade is STEEP. There were spots that our hands were required to climb!

wrecking crew
    Hey guys, if you're planning on hitting SoMo Coast2Coast2Coast...don't forget the day after Thanksgiving is Flight of the Pigs...it starts at SoMo so the trail will be packed. I suggest Goat Camp on Friday, but that is just me.

Whoever is planning the visitor rides ( I know JOD and DirtyD are in town too ), please post em up. We did the SoMo C2C2C last month and have hit Goat Camp twice already this past few months and are itchin' to go back.

su ling
    ~~~

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by su.ling~
    Hey guys, if you're planning on hitting SoMo Coast2Coast2Coast...don't forget the day after Thanksgiving is Flight of the Pigs...it starts at SoMo so the trail will be packed. I suggest Goat Camp on Friday, but that is just me.

Whoever is planning the visitor rides ( I know JOD and DirtyD are in town too ), please post em up. We did the SoMo C2C2C last month and have hit Goat Camp twice already this past few months and are itchin' to go back.

su ling

Yep, we wait for them to leave before we get started. This way, we get to see all of the FOTP carnage on the way up. Last year we got to see a busted wrist if I'm not mistaken. Helicopters, rescue personel, a great way to spend a friday. This is our own FOTP without all of the road riding

wow. had no idea it was much older than 4 years or so. i googled a map so now i see what yer smellin. i was pretty much a xc geek when i rode the tanks and estrella areas. did my 1st race on the original tanks course with the old hike a bike and the super loose desent that followed then onto that sweet run beside the creek bed. memmmm - rieeeeeeeeeeeeees........ of the trails i left behind...................

sorry.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Knollician
    wow. had no idea it was much older than 4 years or so. i googled a map so now i see what yer smellin. i was pretty much a xc geek when i rode the tanks and estrella areas. did my 1st race on the original tanks course with the old hike a bike and the super loose desent that followed then onto that sweet run beside the creek bed. memmmm - rieeeeeeeeeeeeees........ of the trails i left behind...................

sorry.
    yeah, yeah, yeah, riding here sucks! I mean, who wants to ride around in the middle of November in 75 degree weather anyway?

mr. wonderful
    I wish you were going out there for New Years instead so I could return the favor of playing Tour Guide. I would ride South Mountain Both Days. IMHO, it is the best trail in Arizona, especially during the winter. There are plenty of miles for two days worth of riding. Jayem and Durtgurl both post on the Turner Forum and AZ forum and can recommend/lead great rides. I would ride National, Mormom, Geronimo, and Holbert (all South Mountain Trails). South Mountain is Soooo Fun! It has great drops, stairs, tech climbs, slickrock and it is incredibly flowy. Have a great time!

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...1_4513crx.aspx
    yeah, they're all fun, but there is only so much time. Crash will get a good dose of somo on friday, and if you think holbert, geronimo, and 24th street are the sh!t, goat camp is the mega sh!t. if you haven't ridden goat camp, you are definitely missing the best technical DH in Phoenix.

oh, rode green mountain, bug springs, and mili yesterday. too bad crash crash wasn't in town for that because it's arguably the best line-up of trails in the state

if our legs are too fried after friday, maybe we'll spend saturday back on somo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Living the Dream

You rode with a friend of mine then

oh, rode green mountain, bug springs, and mili yesterday. too bad crash crash wasn't in town for that because it's arguably the best line-up of trails in the state
    Louis AKA Sundog. I live in San Antonio now, but I lived in Tucson from 2000-2004. I am hooking up with SunDog for some riding over New Years. Were you actually able to find Bug Springs? That trail was like the fountain of youth when I lived there. We could find where it exited onto the Catalina Highway, (near Prison Camp/Molino Basin), but we could never find the start of it. The Forest Service had plans to restore it in 03-04 timeframe, but the wildfires diverted their funds. How was Bug Springs. Did you guys post pics on the AZ forum. I love Milagrosa but I still think Sunset and Schultz creek in Flag are the best trails in the state in the Summer and National/Mormom are the best in the winter. Have Fun with Crash.

i gotta agree here. mt eldon is the best ive ridden in az. note i said the best IVE ridden.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mr. wonderful
    Louis AKA Sundog. I live in San Antonio now, but I lived in Tucson from 2000-2004. I am hooking up with SunDog for some riding over New Years. Were you actually able to find Bug Springs? That trail was like the fountain of youth when I lived there. We could find where it exited onto the Catalina Highway, (near Prison Camp/Molino Basin), but we could never find the start of it. The Forest Service had plans to restore it in 03-04 timeframe, but the wildfires diverted their funds. How was Bug Springs. Did you guys post pics on the AZ forum. I love Milagrosa but I still think Sunset and Schultz creek in Flag are the best trails in the state in the Summer and National/Mormom are the best in the winter. Have Fun with Crash.
    i know Louis, but i didn't ride with him. we rode it yesterday; i think they were up there saturday.

yeah, we found it all right. you climb the ridge just east of bear canyon camp ground (if that's right?) at the bottom of green mountain. when i say climb, i mean claw your way up 400 feet of really steep backcountry bush wacking. not a lot of fun, but the payoff is. after a descent, it follows a rocky-as-hell wash where to ride more than half a foot you need to get in a groove sort of riding. wierd, but really fun. steep chute riding follows, followed by the switchbacks down to prison camp. definately worth doing. . .once every ten years

i've talked with louis about coming up to phoenix for goat camp. if you guys want to ride it over new years, let me know.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I'll be hooking up with dirtbag and his gang on Friday for the "death march", and then again on Saturday. With the way you guys talk about this place it sounds like I may need to hang out with the in-laws over New Years as well... and maybe a Sanchez pilgrimage is in order for the spring in lieu of one of our semi-annual Moab trips. Dirtbag check your email.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I'll be hooking up with dirtbag and his gang on Friday for the "death march", and then again on Saturday. With the way you guys talk about this place it sounds like I may need to hang out with the in-laws over New Years as well... and maybe a Sanchez pilgrimage is in order for the spring in lieu of one of our semi-annual Moab trips. Dirtbag check your email.

Sweet Crash, I am looking forward to meeting you. You will have a great time. It's right around the corner.

ti, allow me to introduce you to crash. one of the nicest guys from a large group of nice guys. we had big fun with these cats at thc. he can also ride a bike.

if you guys put on a doo-dah in az, id like to be a part of it. if thats cool. ive always been super comfy on my old trails so maybe i wont slow ya down as much. well theres the climbs....
    No, I'm NOT back!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast