mtbr member

Bye Bye Poofta, Hello Raw Metal

As you may remember from my previous thread, I decided to try and strip the paint from my spot and go for a industrial/hotrod look. We had a three day weekend and temperatures in the teens, so I thought it would be a good time to do it. Here is how it went:

Picture #1: The frame and fork before treatment. I took it all apart, had some trouble with the stay bolts. Almost stripped them out trying to get them off. Should probably get some new ones. I pulled out a can of aircraft stripper from my motorcycle tank painting days. It is a bit stronger then your usual brand of stuff, burns instantly on exposed skin. I didn't put enough on at first and thought I had just F'd up a decent paint job. I really slathered it on and the paint started bubbling off. Removed it with a wire brush and a dremmel with a wire brush in the tight spots. I then took all the parts into the shower with me to rinse off the remaining stripper and gunk. I learned the error of this when I got burning globs of gunk very near, but thankfully not on, my exposed private parts. I then started Scotch-Briteing the exposed aluminum. This took all the way through "You, Me, and Dupree". Fortunatly not that good of a movie so I was able to focus on the job at hand. The end result was picture #2. I was really happy with how that ended up looking. Part three of the procedure involved me taping out the flames. Picture #3 is the end result of that, flat black with another tank painting throuwback, self etching primer. Picture #4 and #5 is the frame put together. I wanted to take the pictue before it got dark, so that is why I don't have the cables run. As you can tell from the 12+ inches of snow it is pictured on, I should have time to get the bike finished before conditions are rideable.

I am very pleased with how it turned out, I am going to try and do some more to make it more hot-rodish, but overall I think it is pretty much what I had in mind. I like the subtle red accents and look of the raw metal.

I would enjoy any ideas you might have to make it more like the Exile Motorcycles. I am going to add the headbadge and "Made in the USA" stickers (as per DT's reccommendation). Thanks for checking it out!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tryin' to keep the tires on the ground.

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    That looks great! One of the most unique Turners I've seen. Took some cojones to do it yourself, I am sure. Get some close ups of the frame if you can; I would really like to see what it looks like in detail. The black flame is a sweet touch to finish it off...
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

Custom User Title
    Looks great!

I learned the error of this when I got burning globs of gunk very near, but thankfully not on, my exposed private parts.
    Possibly the gheyest thing ever posted on the Turner board That's saying something when Foshizzle spends so much time here.

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjc280
    I pulled out a can of aircraft stripper from my motorcycle tank painting days. It is a bit stronger then your usual brand of stuff, burns instantly on exposed skin.

I then took all the parts into the shower with me to rinse off the remaining stripper and gunk. I learned the error of this when I got burning globs of gunk very near, but thankfully not on, my exposed private parts.
    i don't kow about ghey...but i can't believe that you thought showering with industrial strength stripper was a good idea!

ok boys...let's learn a valuable lesson:

showering nekkid with strippers...acceptable
    showering nekkid with industrial strength paint stripper...BAD!!!

now you know...and knowing is half the battle!

btw...cool bike!
    Solo Trail Explorer and Granny Gear Ninja!

friends will help you move, good friends will help you move a body...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpdsurf
    Looks great!

Possibly the gheyest thing ever posted on the Turner board That's saying something when Foshizzle spends so much time here.
    Maybe if I had another dude helping me....just thought it the comment would get a laugh.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ORVH
    That looks great! One of the most unique Turners I've seen. Took some cojones to do it yourself, I am sure. Get some close ups of the frame if you can; I would really like to see what it looks like in detail. The black flame is a sweet touch to finish it off...
    Thanks man, I was pretty nervous when I started because I wasn't sure if it woudl work. I looked up powdercoating and a lot of people said you had to get it dipped. When I first put the stripper on I though "This is a really expensive frame.....". Thanks for the input.

Custom User Title
    Maybe if I had another dude helping me....just thought it the comment would get a laugh.
    Oh, it did get a laugh. I was just joking myself.

The frame does look killer. The new head badge will look good up against the black vs. if it were all polished. One advantage to having snow is having all the time needed for such a project.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dpdsurf
    Oh, it did get a laugh. I was just joking myself.

The frame does look killer. The new head badge will look good up against the black vs. if it were all polished. One advantage to having snow is having all the time needed for such a project.
    My wife certainly had no sympathy for my situation. I origionally thought I might do red flames so I ordered the old headbadge. I would like to get the new stainless one, but the $25 price is holding me back. One of the things I am proud about with this project is that it only cost me $1 for scotch guard pads. I had all the other stuff on hand. I just won a garmin 205 on ebay a couple minutes ago, so that might slow me down on the stainless badge as well..... Anybody have that computer?

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    not bac jc, not bad at all. now loose all the red anno and silver bits. replace em with black and/or red painted stuff, not anno - too modern of a look. that gold and silver fork has to go! maybe a flat black zoke?

as usual, harry spells out a rule that shoulda been obvious to the rest of us from the beginnin. nice save!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    not bac jc, not bad at all. now loose all the red anno and silver bits. replace em with black and/or red painted stuff, not anno - too modern of a look. that gold and silver fork has to go! maybe a flat black zoke?

as usual, harry spells out a rule that shoulda been obvious to the rest of us from the beginnin. nice save!
    I agree! Still looking for the exhaust tape for the chainstay.... The fork is a Zoke that I stripped, so it isn't silver, it is raw as well. I think it may need some paint, as you suggested.

bi-winning
    It is odd seeing a bike without a badge on the headtube.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Team Blindspot
    So much for doing a christmas card next year
    Astigmatic Visionary

cheer up bunky!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Wow! That's really impressive. Very cool frame.

here ya go buddy! linky-dinky-doo. heres some stuff thats probobly cheaper but only goes to 1200 deg, not 3000 like the other stuff. might work for a chainstay though.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Very well done. Just need some red Industry Nine wheels and a set of white walls (too bad white Onza Porqs are skinwall ) .

Oh, and run all the cables internally, that should get you through the winter.

the man is mostly right. pooy on the anno, red or otherwise. paint only! but white walls... hell yeah! maybe a paint marker will do the trick! on big fockin tires!
    No, I'm NOT back!

MK_
    carpe mañana
    ...I then took all the parts into the shower with me to rinse off the remaining stripper and gunk.
    I hope my house isn't downstream from yours, man. That stuff is nasty.

Kudos on the project! I've stripped paint from a frame once before and it took me a long weekend to get it looking presentable. I gave up on high shine finish somewhere around day 3.

You should paint that spring black or white!

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Looks great! But what about when it starts oxidating? Your going to have a he11 of a time buffing the bare metal around the "painted" flames, with out scratching the flames.
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 01-16-2007 at 11:27 AM.

George Dickel
    Sep 2005
    Thanks man, I was pretty nervous when I started because I wasn't sure if it woudl work. I looked up powdercoating and a lot of people said you had to get it dipped. When I first put the stripper on I though "This is a really expensive frame.....". Thanks for the input.
    Make sure you post some pics in the FAQ's/sticky section - use a good quote, like "My Spot and Strippers" or something to that effect.
    I once corrected DW about a bicycle related topic.

fnar fnar brrraaaaap
    why o' why

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    It is odd seeing a bike without a badge on the headtube.
    I have one coming in the mail. Don't worry, I'll represent.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker
    Very well done. Just need some red Industry Nine wheels and a set of white walls (too bad white Onza Porqs are skinwall ) .

Oh, and run all the cables internally, that should get you through the winter.
    That would be awesome! Anyone every done whitewalls? I was actually thinking about the internal cables, how is that done? It seems like you couldn't do it without drilling holes and compromising the integrity of the frame. It would look cool though...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_

Kudos on the project! I've stripped paint from a frame once before and it took me a long weekend to get it looking presentable. I gave up on high shine finish somewhere around day 3.

_MK
    I'm actually selling the Romic, I just threw it on for the pic. I have a vanilla coming that I'm going to get PUSH'd. Black spring.

I wiped off most of the goo, it was mainly just stuck in the cracks of the frame. Hopefully not too environmentally damaging. My cats were licking it though.

mtbr member
    here ya go buddy! linky-dinky-doo. heres some stuff thats probobly cheaper but only goes to 1200 deg, not 3000 like the other stuff. might work for a chainstay though.
    Very cool. I think I'll be pusing the 1200 degree temp though, I'll try it and if it fails I'll go with the 3500 degree. Anyone want to buy a Chris King red headset?

mtbr member
    cheer up bunky!
    Bunky? I call him Dr. Death.

id also say pooy on the internal routing. besides lookin cool, it does little for the long term joy. buh bye warranty!
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

awesome

THAT is a totally *****en ride man! Sheeat that thing is looking good.

Wash the bike occasionally with something like ZipWax or another products with a little wax in the soap and it will help seal it against elements in the dirt and your sweat from staining the totally raw peeled metal. Unlike a mill finish frame that we have shown on the Highline or more recently the Sultan proto that came directly out of the heat treat process your frames surface oxidation has been removed with the scotch brite pad. Of course if you want real industrial just let it oxidize again, it will not hurt the metal at all as it will just effect the surface. But sweat drops and mineral salts from the soil etc will effect some areas more than other so it will not be a consistant finish a year or 2 from now.

Beware of the fork, not knowing what alloy it is, it may need some sort of protection from corroding elements. Of course you can flat black it to stick with your fade look if it starts to get fuzzy. It may be an Al alloy that is very resistant to corrosion as well so no worries.Anyone know what alloy Marz uses for the sliders?

DT

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Sweet flames! I would put some clearcoat on... to avoid a monthly polish out of the thing...

Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    Beware of the fork, not knowing what alloy it is, it may need some sort of protection from corroding elements. Of course you can flat black it to stick with your fade look if it starts to get fuzzy. It may be an Al alloy that is very resistant to corrosion as well so no worries.Anyone know what alloy Marz uses for the sliders?

DT
    They are usually magnesium, I think... so some clearcoat or paint would be needed....

thats what i was thinkin too.

edit: but cant magnesium be kept totally raw without worry?
    No, I'm NOT back!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    is that a challenge?

Neg reppers r my biatches

_MK
    paint it black.....springs other than black are flat-out ghey

Captain Underpants
    Quote Originally Posted by dHarriet
    i don't kow about ghey...but i can't believe that you thought showering with industrial strength stripper was a good idea!

Post of the week!

thats what i was thinkin too.

edit: but cant magnesium be kept totally raw without worry?

I think oxidation in magnesium could damage it strength... however I think a clearcoat could do the job nicely

ok then, if so, make it a flat. gloss has no biz on this here ma-chine. maybe renny can chime in on the topic. i just recall all the old mag car wheels and mongooses moto mags. maybe its not the same make up these days.
    No, I'm NOT back!

ok then, if so, make it a flat. gloss has no biz on this here ma-chine. maybe renny can chime in on the topic. i just recall all the old mag car wheels and mongooses moto mags. maybe its not the same make up these days.

I'm not an expert in any way, but I remember reading that magnesium doesn't take oxidation very well ... I would love to here from others that DO know (like Renny) too...

rr
    I don't do PC
    That does look nice! Guess the hose is still buried and frozen in the snow eh? Bet you were wishing you had listened to me when you were in the shower with the parts

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Drivel
    Post of the week!
    ha ha...thanks for the book report!

i'm so freakin' !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    is that a challenge?
    Sounds like it to me! Go Fo! Go Fo! Go all crazy fred on us.

mtbr member

now you know...and knowing is half the battle!

btw...cool bike!
    Thanks for the advice. Have any stripper friends that could help me out?

mtbr member
    the man is mostly right. pooy on the anno, red or otherwise. paint only! but white walls... hell yeah! maybe a paint marker will do the trick! on big fockin tires!
    I'm runing betty's right now (not in the picture). I'll experiment with some different things and see what I can come up with. Red wheels would rock.

involuntary dismounter
    Thanks for the advice. Have any stripper friends that could help me out?
    hey, no problem...that's what i'm here for!
    as for stripper friends...unfortunately no...that's the problem with being a tomboy...my friends are all dudes! although there is one who would LOVE to strip for you! especially if you have a good chest...he's into chests... and can you blame him???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes
    THAT is a totally *****en ride man! Sheeat that thing is looking good.

Wash the bike occasionally with something like ZipWax or another products with a little wax in the soap and it will help seal it against elements in the dirt and your sweat from staining the totally raw peeled metal. Unlike a mill finish frame that we have shown on the Highline or more recently the Sultan proto that came directly out of the heat treat process your frames surface oxidation has been removed with the scotch brite pad. Of course if you want real industrial just let it oxidize again, it will not hurt the metal at all as it will just effect the surface. But sweat drops and mineral salts from the soil etc will effect some areas more than other so it will not be a consistant finish a year or 2 from now.

DT
    Thanks DT, that is high praise. I think the lines of the bike are the true eye catcher, it is nice to unclutter everything to bring that out.

I'm not too worried about stains and oxidation, I think that will either add to the look or I can just scotch-brite it again. I think when I do it agian I will paint in the turner logo, as part of the flames. I need to make some stencils for this, so that is why I thought I would wait until round two. Is there a way I can buy some of those 'Made in the USA' flag stickers from the company? I am having trouble locating them by themselves on your site. The headbadge is on the way!

The sliders on the Marz look and feel like alluminum, but I am far from an expert. I will throw some primer on them to be safe. I kind of liked the raw look though. Thanks again for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    That does look nice! Guess the hose is still buried and frozen in the snow eh? Bet you were wishing you had listened to me when you were in the shower with the parts
    No, it would take an archeological dig team to find my hoses. I was out in the shed stripping that thing for so long I thought it would be nice to go inside and have a HOT shower with the bike as opposed to running luke-warm water all over myself out in the negative stupid degree weather. Once I see ground again I'm going to take your advice and run a hose. I liked your "Winter Sucks" post BTW. I second that.

Team Blindspot
    No, it would take an archeological dig team to find my hoses. I was out in the shed stripping that thing for so long I thought it would be nice to go inside and have a HOT shower with the bike as opposed to running luke-warm water all over myself out in the negative stupid degree weather. Once I see ground again I'm going to take your advice and run a hose. I liked your "Winter Sucks" post BTW. I second that.
    So what's your wife think about this whole program and the time you put this weekend on it. Especially you showing with your ride
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ilostmypassword
    why o' why
    Let me think......OK, here are my reasons.

First of all I wanted to offer an image contrary to the logo-touting masses that you see on every trail. As I told DT I enjoy the lines of the bike, and so often we get caught up with product placement I think that is lost. I also think that a bike should look like it supposed to be used, and so many of the bikes and riders I see today must take their stylings from tropical fish. Not that I don't enjoy the debates between this year's trigger shifter vs. last years (seriously) but I thought it would be origional to have something completly contrary to that. I hope that by removing those things I will focus on the bike at hand and the ride. Those that need to know will know that it is a turner.

Second, I wanted to have a bike that represented me and my personallity. I used to paint motorcycle tanks, love to work on my mustang, love hotrods. I respect people that are willing to put themselves into their rides. The Zilla bling machine is awesome, the snow bike frankenstiens are great, DH's (can't remember the name of her bike), Fo's....whatever it is he does, etc... That is one of the things that make life, and this forum, fun.

lastly, I thing that we should encourage people to explore custom looks and equipment. Most of the aftermarket stuff you buy was/is inspired by the hotrod/underground movements of the time. I think that is why the 50's hotrods are so popular. They are also making a comeback, look at the mustang, charger, SSR. People enjoyed the freedom and individuality of that time period. I don't think we should return to MTB roots though, or soon we will all be wearing pink helmets again.

So, to conclude, I urge all you out there feeling like a lemming in a corporate chute, throw off the chains of oppression and find your individual niche. We might learn something from your discoverys, and most likely, from your mistakes. I hope we all learned from my showering experience......

mtbr member
    although there is one who would LOVE to strip for you! especially if you have a good chest...he's into chests... and can you blame him???
    Now tell me, is that not gheyer then my origional post?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    So what's your wife think about this whole program and the time you put this weekend on it. Especially you showing with your ride
    She didn't care, she is so drunk all the time.....JUST JOKING! She was mostly happy that it only cost me $1 for the brillo pads. Usually I can't walk into a bike shop without spending at least $100, sometimes I don't even know what I bought. I think those bike mechanics are trained to pick your pockets. I cleaned the shower after, so it is good. How is the knee?

involuntary dismounter
    Now tell me, is that not gheyer then my origional post?
    yes...just as it was intended...
    hey...you asked...so you have noone to blame but yourself!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I'm not an expert in any way, but I remember reading that magnesium doesn't take oxidation very well ... I would love to here from others that DO know (like Renny) too...
    I agree, shiny bad. I'll throw some flat black on it. Primer tends to be a bit more pourus (spellign), so hopefully that will be enough. It sure feels and looks like aluminum, but I don't know how you could tell the difference.

Outcast
    Wow, there are at least two people left in the world that have a little respect for my opinion. You guys rock!
    Seriously though, I don't have much experience with magnesium, either pure or as the major element in an alloy [other than burning shavings of it. ]. Sorry. Ask me something else!

Stand back
    Seems my magnesium pedals are ok w/ oxidation where ever I've scraped the paint off, but you don't see much nekkid magnesium, probably for a reason...
    Sweet look for the spot, btw. I'm debating about how much cleanup effort to put into my Sunday once all the paint is gone. Nice to know less effort still looks good!
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser
    Seems my magnesium pedals are ok w/ oxidation where ever I've scraped the paint off, but you don't see much nekkid magnesium, probably for a reason...
    Sweet look for the spot, btw. I'm debating about how much cleanup effort to put into my Sunday once all the paint is gone. Nice to know less effort still looks good!
    dbabuser, did you decide to leave your frame raw? I saw your post in the colorado forum regarding that powdercoat shop in denver. He' quoting a paint job for me, as is spectrum.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    paint it black.....springs other than black are flat-out ghey
    Yep, "Camp as a row of tents"
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Wow, there are at least two people left in the world that have a little respect for my opinion. You guys rock!
    Seriously though, I don't have much experience with magnesium, either pure or as the major element in an alloy [other than burning shavings of it. ]. Sorry. Ask me something else!

No worries, Renny! You are still our Guru!

ok renny. whats the ultimate answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything? shhhhh... let him answer.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Outcast
    ok renny. whats the ultimate answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything? shhhhh... let him answer.
    Augh CC, I answered that one last week. The ultimate answer to the question of life is to eat, drink, ride, and get laid. Piece of cake.

MK_
    carpe mañana
    I think oxidation in magnesium could damage it strength... however I think a clearcoat could do the job nicely
    Yeah, wasn't there a movement some time ago making hardtail frames out of magnesium? And didn't that movement die due to the fact that magnesium could react violently with elements?

And if your fork catches fire, DO NOT try to put that fire out with water!

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

MK_
    carpe mañana
    Augh CC, I answered that one last week. The ultimate answer to the question of life is to eat, drink, ride, and get laid. Piece of cake.
    ... 42 times, to complete the answer.

And cactus, what was that question?

_MK

Knomer
    People seem to be forgetting that paint is a vital component to keeping Turner frames from disassembling. Look what happened to all those raw Highlines!

I'm not really a fan of flame jobs, but we seem to have room since what's-his-name has gone awol.

involuntary dismounter
    renny man, you're KILLING me with all this corny romance crap!

mtbr member
    Yeah, wasn't there a movement some time ago making hardtail frames out of magnesium? And didn't that movement die due to the fact that magnesium could react violently with elements?

And if your fork catches fire, DO NOT try to put that fire out with water!

_MK
    Do I need to stick a fire extinguisher in my pack? Can you pee on it or something?

"Furruccio....Bite Me!"

This thread needs some legs

How bout Su lings

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke
    How bout Su lings
    Good call!

involuntary dismounter
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke
    this thread needs some legs
    how about david beckham's...yummy!

how about david beckham's
    how about that pic not workin and su's lookin so good? weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    No, I'm NOT back!

involuntary dismounter
    how about that pic not workin and su's lookin so good? weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
    of course su's looking good...turner chicks are HAWT!
    but we have to have some awesome legs to look at too!

Members who have read this thread: 0