Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3

    New question here. buying advice: flux / 5

    so i'm stepping up from my good ol' litespeed ocoee, circa 1996. i love that bike, but i'm ready to take advantage of new technology, more travel and disc brakes.

    the question:
    i can buy a previously demo'd flux with a 5" fox fork and new x.0 components, but it's VERY orange, which isnt really my style...
    or i can build a 5-spot just how i want it for around $700 more.
    i'm more of a XC rider than a downhiller, but maybe the extra travel will improve my downhill game?
    i think 4" would be enough for what i normally ride, but i guess i could grow into the 5, and the orange color is a big turnoff.
    either way, i'm excited to enter the passionate world of turner lovers.
    what do you all think?

    -underground

  2. #2
    Bite Me.
    Reputation: cutthroat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,545
    I recommend BLACK over orange any day. All the rest is just a side dish.


    Actually, you'll find a lot of commentary on this issue by searching Flux and 5 Spot. for example: Flux or 5 Spot?

    It depends on your riding style. I'm perfectly happy (well not Perfectly - it would be nice to have a 5 Spot too) ) but very happy with my humble 4" of travel, but I 'm a climber, XC, singletrack type more than a high speed Porc Rim rider. Bottom line - if you make compromises to save some money, even $700, you'll just be a victim of UGI later.
    Last edited by cutthroat; 10-27-2005 at 03:04 PM.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

  3. #3
    ...master of none
    Reputation: bock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by underground
    so i'm stepping up from my good ol' litespeed ocoee, circa 1996. i love that bike, but i'm ready to take advantage of new technology, more travel and disc brakes.

    the question:
    i can buy a previously demo'd flux with a 5" fox fork and new x.0 components, but it's VERY orange, which isnt really my style...
    or i can build a 5-spot just how i want it for around $700 more.
    i'm more of a XC rider than a downhiller, but maybe the extra travel will improve my downhill game?
    i think 4" would be enough for what i normally ride, but i guess i could grow into the 5, and the orange color is a big turnoff.
    either way, i'm excited to enter the passionate world of turner lovers.
    what do you all think?

    -underground
    Hey, is that the one from the new bike shop in north Boulder? Just a wild guess, but there can't be too many previously demo'd orange fluxes with a 5" fox fork running around out there...

    Anyway, if so that is a sweet bike. I rode it around inside the shop a few weeks ago (don't worry, I didn't huck it off the workbench or anything). Understandable if it's just not your style, but the orange is awesome in my opinion and will definitely set your bike apart if you get it.

    That said, used Flux vs. new Spot for +$700 seems like the Flux may be a bit overpriced? So, it seems like you want a Flux, but it's just the color that makes you less than psyched. If you can get a new Spot, why can't you get a new Flux if you want it?

    bock

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by bock
    . If you can get a new Spot, why can't you get a new Flux if you want it?

    bock
    yeah, that's the one. you live in boulder, too?

    anyways, '05 frames are on sale for 10% off. they only have 5-spots in my size in stock, no medium fluxes. that would be the best solution, though...

    -underground

  5. #5
    ... I guess you won't be
    Reputation: jokermtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,925
    as long as you don't harbor any aspirations of being a "gotta train every day" xc racer type, go for the 5-spot, it's a bike built for riding, not racing!

    although, it is pretty awesome for 24-hr type racing.....long legs!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

  6. #6
    ...master of none
    Reputation: bock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by underground
    yeah, that's the one. you live in boulder, too?

    anyways, '05 frames are on sale for 10% off. they only have 5-spots in my size in stock, no medium fluxes. that would be the best solution, though...

    -underground
    Yep, I'm about a 2-minute bike ride from Boulder Cycle Sport.

    Ah, ok. The discount on '05 frames explains the pricing. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it, have you tried Larry? He seems to have an uncanny ability to get folks the Turners they NEED. For example, when I was shopping for 2 Fluxes (one for me, one for my wife), I called the Singletrack Factory in Denver and they said they hadn't gotten any Flux frames from Turner yet, but if I ordered they'd put me on the list. Larry had BOTH bikes built up and ready for us to ride in a week and a half.

    And...I second what jokermtb said.

    bock

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by bock
    Yep, I'm about a 2-minute bike ride from Boulder Cycle Sport.

    Ah, ok. The discount on '05 frames explains the pricing. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it, have you tried Larry? He seems to have an uncanny ability to get folks the Turners they NEED. For example, when I was shopping for 2 Fluxes (one for me, one for my wife), I called the Singletrack Factory in Denver and they said they hadn't gotten any Flux frames from Turner yet, but if I ordered they'd put me on the list. Larry had BOTH bikes built up and ready for us to ride in a week and a half.

    And...I second what jokermtb said.

    bock
    hmmm....
    i'm still undecided, but leaning towards the 5'er. i emailed your buddy larry and asked him what he can do for me. we'll see...

    -underground

  8. #8
    not so super...
    Reputation: SSINGA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    11,459
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    I recommend BLACK over orange any day.
    What

    As a former black bike owner (last 6 were black) and current owner of a Orange Turner, I wouldn't let the color steer you away. The orange is a great color but I want a Yellow 5 Spot.

    The 5 spot seems to be the better choice IMO. I can be built light or heavy and handle the type of riding that goes with those builds well.


    PS...better call Larry - he is not known for quick email replies but normally answers the phone before the third ring.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •