mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Buy parts direct from Zoke?

I discovered that the red RC2 adjuster knob broke off of my Z1 Light. Not just the knob, but the stem that it bolts onto. I assume that I have to buy the whole dampening rod (if that is the proper name of it). Will Zoke deal direct?

I always thought those knobs on the lowers were suseptible to this.

not so super...
    I'm sure they will - rumored to be approx $200.

you might try getting in touch with a dealer, LBS or e-LBS, to see if they can source it for less.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA
    I'm sure they will - rumored to be approx $200.

you might try getting in touch with a dealer, LBS or e-LBS, to see if they can source it for less.
    Damn, I hope its not $200 bucks. I'll check around and see what I can find out before calling Zoke.

Unfortunately, I have the compression set at its plushest setting for the local trails. I am heading up to the mountains tomorrow. I foresee bottoming out and brake dive.

Hmmm, I wonder if I could cut a groove on the surface of what is left and use a small screwdriver to make adustments.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ncbiker
    I foresee bottoming out and brake dive.
    Bottoming is an oil height issue(progressiveness), not a compression damping issue.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Team Sanchez
    You may experience brake dive, but bottom out is controlled by the oil levels, not the red low speed compression adjustment. You'll be just fine. As for Zoke dealing directly with consumer, the answer is yes. I've purchased spring kits, seal kits, even a new fork from them directly in the past. Great customer service.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Cool. No bottoming out issues at least.

banned
    Perhaps you can post some pics so we could offer some suggestions for a makeshift fix? Since the cart is done anyhow, you might as well try.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Perhaps you can post some pics so we could offer some suggestions for a makeshift fix? Since the cart is done anyhow, you might as well try.
    Good idea. I'll do that and see what comes up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    ok, here we go. I am assuming the brass center rotates inside the dampening rod, which makes the compression adjustments. If I could cut a straight groove across the brass center, I am thinking that I could use a small flat head screw driver to make adjustments.

Whatcha think? Can a Dremel Tool be used for something like that? Other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

banned
    Yup, use the dremel. I have done this before. You may not have to go all the way to the collar, but just enough to get your narrowest, thinnest screwdriver in there. If not, just do whatever you need to do to get your stuff to work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    If not, just do whatever you need to do to get your stuff to work.
    Right on.