I love bike!

Bushing service?

In an attempt to freshen up my RFX I decided I would replace the main pivot bushings with PUSH bushings. When I got it in the mail yesterday I didn't realize that I was literally only purchasing the bushings and not the pivot shafts etc that you would get if purchased from Turner. Yes...I'm a bonehead. My question is...Does it defeat the purpose of installing the new bushings with the old shafts, bolts, etc? Is it generally just the bushing itself that would wear and need replaced? I've already removed the old shafts in preparation and they were in pretty snug. I had to use a socket and hammer to tap them out. Not sure if I wasted my time/money with this project or not but I figured since the bike is an 07 and I am at least the 3rd owner that it was probably something that was due.

mtbr member
    Nope, you should be good to go. The idea is if anything wears, it'll be the bushing and not the shaft. Just be careful torquing the bolts when you tighten things back up. I've got the Push bushings on my spot and love them. Good luck with that, have fun!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I had to replace my bushings more than once and always the shafts wore more than the bushings. However the wear is very well visible on the shafts as their anodisation wears off, so if there is really nothing to see, in my opinion there is no significant wear.

I love bike!
    Thanks guys.

So if the anodization is wearing will it look lighter in color? One of the shafts I removed (seatstay connected to rocker) looks lighter, more silver as opposed to grey, compared to the other two. Think I should replace that one?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It will only wear where it is contacting the bushing, so at about 7mm on both ends. It will indeed become lighter where it wears. The first to go in my experience is the main pivot near the bottom bracket (at least for my '07 spot). I suspect because the forces are highest and it is most exposed to water and dirt. If you are riding in a dry climate it may be completely different.

I love bike!
    Extremely dry here in the Arizona desert. Think it's lighter color all over so it's probably ok. I'll just put it back together and if anything seems outta whack I can always order more stuff from Turner. I mean...it's only money

I love bike!
    So I just noticed that Push recommends 100 in lbs as opposed to 204 in lbs (17 ft lbs) torque for the main T40 pivot bolts recommended by Turner. Do I go by the Push recs or Turner? Here's the link to the install instructions from Push and what I could find searching from Turner. Just seems like a really wide margin so was hoping for some guidance. Gonna try and contact Push and Turner as well but wanted to start working on this in the next couple hours. I'm assuming the difference is due to different bushing materials?

http://www.pushindustries.com/2009/m...ll%20Guide.pdf

Official Turner bolt torque values!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Sorry, I don't know. I don't have a torque wrench, so I tighten everything in a normal manner. The pivots never came loose.

mtbr member
    From the information I got from Turner, it is 11 lb-ft for all vintage bikes.

I did 17 lb-ft in the past and snapped the head off of one of my bolts. After a bunch of searching and inquiring, I got the word from Turner that it should be 11.

Howto remove pivot axle?

I love bike!
    Thx. I went ahead with 132 in lbs (11 ft lbs) per your info. Push got back to me a little later and they confirmed their 100 in lbs but I was already done. I think I'll just leave it at 132 to be safe.