Grand Master Jedi

Burning thru bushings in New England

So I just tore down my 5.Spot after 3 months to ONCE AGAIN replace the main pivot bushings. I bought this frame about 2 years ago and I've burned through a set of bushings about every 6 months! The latest set were PUSH bushings and they seemed to be a bit softer than the stock bushings so I only got 2.5-3 months or so out of them.

FYI I'm 6'3" and 220lbs and we mostly stomp through slow New England single track. Very few fast descents.

Anyone ride in similar conditions have their pivots last longer?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Does it affect your ride?how do you know if its due for replacement?play?i replaced my main pivot shaft and bushings last February when i got it last May 2012(9mos old). So far so good,no play. But to tell you honestly,it didnt affect my ride as Greg said you wont feel it once you ride on it. You can feel it only when you lift it.

After series of enduro races here, i can now notice my dw link pivot has play when i lift the bike by the seattube. And the driveside seatstay pivot has play when i rock my rear wheel side to side. But again, unnoticeable during rides. New sets of dw link hardware just arrived and will install them this week. Im not sure if our frames have defects or whatever, but like I said, if its unnoticeable during rides, then I guess we just have to live with the premature wear issues

mtbr member
    In the other words,
    Your bikes just happens to be within the manufacturing tolerance,
    Not perfect, but works just fine :-)
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just installed my new dw link pivots, play is gone. Thanks Greg for sending them for free even the play on the seatstay pivots mentioned above disappeared. Perhaps there is a vibration coming from the dw links. Glad everythings smooth again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbussiere View Post
    So I just tore down my 5.Spot after 3 months to ONCE AGAIN replace the main pivot bushings. I bought this frame about 2 years ago and I've burned through a set of bushings about every 6 months! The latest set were PUSH bushings and they seemed to be a bit softer than the stock bushings so I only got 2.5-3 months or so out of them.

FYI I'm 6'3" and 220lbs and we mostly stomp through slow New England single track. Very few fast descents.

Anyone ride in similar conditions have their pivots last longer?
    When you say "burned through" what does that mean? Do you have a picture as this type of wear is unusual.

Darren

"Furruccio....Bite Me!"
    Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND View Post
    When you say "burned through" what does that mean? Do you have a picture as this type of wear is unusual.

Darren
    ????

mtbr member
    My main pivot bushings developed play after about 18 months. I replaced them and was glad to find that the play was eliminated. I had problems that first year with creaks from the suspension and I would combat the problem by thoroughly lubing the pivots about every 6-8 weeks. On one ride after lubing, I got caught in the rain and was surprised to develop the telltale squeak after about 30 minutes! So it appears that mud and water CAN easily penetrate the seals and quickly wash your grease away.

I now lube my bushings about every 2 weeks. Instead of a major lube job, I just give every zerk 3 or 4 squeezes from the injection gun. Iíve also had problems finding grease that was thin enough to move freely inside the pivot, so I now mix my grease with mineral spirits to thin it out. Between lubing more regularly and thinning the grease with mineral spirits I seem to have eliminated all of my suspension problems and am VERY happy with my 5-Spot.

Grand Master Jedi
    Quote Originally Posted by PUSHIND View Post

Darren
    Basically, the main pivot shaft bushings have now loosened up enough that I can swing the back of the rear triangle 1/2" in either direction quite easily. The outermost portion of the bushing appears to have deformed (not abraded, not fractured, but elastically deformed) to such an extent as it allows the shaft to move a significant amount. Visual inspection only shows some slight scarring (nothing really obvious) and the bushings LOOK ok, but when fitted to the shaft its clear they aren't right.

I will try and upload pictures tonight, but like I said, there isn't much to see.

I will be rebuilding this tonight, so I will try and post side-by-side pics so at least you can see the comparison to the standard Turner bushings.

And for LGavin - Yes, once the rear of the bike can move left/right more than a 1/4" I notice it when riding :-)

EDIT: I also want to make clear that I don't think this is a problem unique to any PUSH products. I have been happy with the performance of these bushings, and i think the rate of wear that I am experiencing may just be a combination of my size, riding style, terrain and riding conditions. I am just curious as to other riders experience with the pivot bushings in general. Like I said, I have burned through many worn many bushings before this.

I am suspicious that the slight play in the upper DW link pivot (smaller frame pivot near seatpost collar) may be allowing the frame to move laterally, which is inducing too much stress on the MAIN bushings. When I rebuild the frame tonight I will take some measurements with my calipers and see what I can find.