Well Biked
    Jun 2005

A Burning Question

I will hopefully be getting a new ride in the future, and a lot has changed at Turner since I had owned one. I had owned a 2005 5 spot, and a burley 2006 RFX, and I'm wondering what the ride character of the Burner is like compared to these. I would actually like a little more travel, but I like the geometry of this bike and the 650b wheels. Does this bike actually kick more a$$ then the old RFX?

I'm currently riding a 2010 Mojo HD, and I never really got on with the short wheel base, and front center, and it's overall geometry/ sizing.

Although I climbing for the descents, I'm wondering how the Burner climbs in the granny? Does it tend to hang up on rocks, or tractor through?

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~
    I had intended for my next bike to be 160+ and 26" but decided to give the Burner a try. I've been super impressed with the climbing and traction, miss the more travel on bad landings but I still have 6, 7, and 8 inch travel bikes for those situations. I don't get the hang up on rocks thing, maybe I'm not sensitive enough or it's my "attack" style of riding?

Compared to your HD the Burner is longer wheelbase and significant geometry differences on paper. Sounds like you should try to get a test ride in. I can't say whether it will kick more okole than the 06 RFX, but if you are comfortable on the bike and it's equipped properly it should be more stable and faster.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for your reply Airwreck! How is the burner in Downhill technical situations?

I'm not going to be so lucky to have a stable of bikes, so I will need a pretty good do all bike, that will allow me to sometimes play in areas where big bikes roam. However, that doesn't really involve big jumps or drops, but more rolling down steep chunky sections. Confidence inspiring geometry is a must. A lot of my other riding is fast and flowing trails, strewn with varying amounts of rocks (not much loam/soil around here).

Flacko
    Mar 2006
    i am eyeing one of them black burners too...... and like you airwreck, thought my nextbbike would be 160 and 26" wheels.

650 hype is getting my goat tho, was thinking spitfire or new endophin 650 next year. but the burners #'s look sweet. so to echo the OP how is it in the steep n rough?

a knolly delirium replace my highline a few years ago as a one bike, and i do love the fully active 4x4....

~~~~~~~~
    I wish I got to ride more steep and rough, most of my riding lately has been smooth plus roots and not steep, so not making any claims. What semignar I have done has been positive, stable and fast. I did actually take it thru some stuff I typically do on my dh bike recently and noticed the revelation flex. I think the current forks could be taxed by larger riders, I'm 150 and surprised that fork has done well for me. If you are going from 36mm stanchions, 20mm axle and tapered steerer then the 34 and 15 fork is more the concern than the frame. Also tire weight, I'm on the single ply High Roller 2 and it's 900g, starting to feel like the 2 ply might be a good idea but the thing weighs over 1300g, ugh.

As for do all, it is certainly more fun to xc than my 08 RFX and has a mini dh feel, the 27.5 appeal was the faster on flatter downhills and I haven't revisited 26 enough to determine if the bigger wheel lives up to the claims of handling the rough better. I'm pretty sure it does. The bike is unique and different for sure and I think most riders will enjoy riding it.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Thanks Airwreck. I really appreciate the feedback! I definitely want to find a place to test ride this bike.

mtbr member
    It's very confident inspiring going downhill and carving through corners. Really fun plowing through rock gardens or heavy rooty sections of the trail. I'd say it is a good technical climbing bike though my Pivot Mach 5 was a little better.

Ed

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Do the larger wheels seem like they make a difference? It seems that some reviewers of 650b bikes find it subtle, and others feel it is more obvious.

mtbr member

A Burning Question

It's definitely a subtle difference and handles like a 26" bike. You won't notice until after a few rides. Then you realize that you are getting over rocks and roots easier. You'll really notice when you go back to 26" and ride same trail.

This is my experience.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Sounds like the effect is there, but the bike's overall package is most important.
    Its looks to me from the numbers that the Burner would out descend the Spot, and handle overall better with a shorter stem.

I found it very interesting over at the Ibis forum, how a number of the first testers of the HDR preferred it over the regular HD, even though it lost 30mm of travel! However, in this case Ibis didn't update the geometry, but instead made a number of smaller refinements.

~~~~~~~~
    I'm on the obvious side. Never ridden a 29er, short person. Some of what I'm feeling can be attributed to the longer wheelbase which I'm used to riding the dh bike and wanted anyway. I didn't intend for this to be my slopestyle bike so stability before flickability and a skate park session on the burner was what I needed to truly adjust to the changes. Yes I can do table tops easier on my rfx but the reason I got the Burner was to go faster.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Having owned a HL and converted a TNT spot 2 650b, I like the geometry tweaks of the burner and i like the DW susp. Once i have this thing balanced its gonna rock.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    I got a parking lot test ride in on a shop employee's new Burner built up with XX1! It was pretty light. Obviously not much of a true test, but I could tell the larger wheels did have an effect on some of the bumps I encountered. The DW link was pretty plush, and perhaps a bit more so then my HD. I'll have to wait until DT's demo truck comes around to get a good test ride on a different trail. Also got to throw my leg over someones Tracer 275. I would like to get a real test ride on that a well.

I'd like to through out another question. Do you think the Burner would benefit from a travel adjustable fork if run at 150-160? I'd be using a 160 fork for sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Re: A Burning Question

Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    I got a parking lot test ride in on a shop employee's new Burner built up with XX1! It was pretty light. Obviously not much of a true test, but I could tell the larger wheels did have an effect on some of the bumps I encountered. The DW link was pretty plush, and perhaps a bit more so then my HD. I'll have to wait until DT's demo truck comes around to get a good test ride on a different trail. Also got to throw my leg over someones Tracer 275. I would like to get a real test ride on that a well.

I'd like to through out another question. Do you think the Burner would benefit from a travel adjustable fork if run at 150-160? I'd be using a 160 fork for sure.
    Was it orange ano? If so, sounds like Doug is rocking the new Burner!

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Yup!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock View Post
    Yup!
    Yo, Doug here!
    Had my second ride on my Burner today. It was hot today, I rode hard,went to the DM Fair withe family, needless to say, I'm worked and now sitting on my couch. Regardless, I can't wait to ride it again. I'm in love.
    Yes I'm a bike shop owner, so take this how you wish, but this bike is amazing! I think to sum it up in one word...this bike is "consistent". It rolls so smoothly and effortlessly. For the past 8 years I have been on 29rs, both short travel and hardtails. Getting on the 27.5, it was apparent that it did not have momentum and drive/inertia like a 29r. But it also did not require that extra push to get it rolling. In the past i never really felt that the 29 required that extra push until I got on the Burner where it was noticeable that it didn't require that extra effort to get it rolling. Hopefully that makes sense. Once rolling it just continually goes....CONSITENTLY moving forward and rolling over every thing. It just seemed to stay at a very consistant pace. the bike is so smooth. It just flowed and flowed. Am i repeating myself here? I was also purposely taking bad lines to test the Burner. It was ridiculous...so,good, so smooth so much fun. It pure mountainbike fun.
    This is a dream bike. 27lbs, xx1, rock-shox revelation, (spec is the fox 34 , long story, but the RS performs really well)Thomson stem & seat post race face sixc bar cut down a bit", Stan's arch ex wheel set, xo trail brakes, devo saddle and the new Kenda Honey Badger tires 2.2.(Great new tire rolls fast with great side nobs).
    I know these bikes aren't cheap. Save you duckets for this one. Quit going out to dinner so much, limit your beer budget. Sell your first born . This bike is worth it.
    I have also spent considerable time on the Czar. The Czar makes you want to push so hard. You lay into this bike, push it harder and harder and continually rewards you with an unprecedented stablility control and speed. And then in return again, you go harder and harder, faster and faster. I have ridden hundreds of bikes and nothing I have ever been on makes you wanna ride so hard like thE Czar does.
    David Turner has nailed it with these two bikes.
    North of the Border Bike Shop
    San Diego, CA
    http://www.nbbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by North of the Border View Post
    Absolutely agree. . . .

mtbr member
    Absolutely nice

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by North of the Border View Post
    Yo, Doug here!
    Had my second ride on my Burner today. It was hot today, I rode hard,went to the DM Fair withe family, needless to say, I'm worked and now sitting on my couch. Regardless, I can't wait to ride it again. I'm in love.
    Yes I'm a bike shop owner, so take this how you wish, but this bike is amazing! I think to sum it up in one word...this bike is "consistent". It rolls so smoothly and effortlessly. For the past 8 years I have been on 29rs, both short travel and hardtails. Getting on the 27.5, it was apparent that it did not have momentum and drive/inertia like a 29r. But it also did not require that extra push to get it rolling. In the past i never really felt that the 29 required that extra push until I got on the Burner where it was noticeable that it didn't require that extra effort to get it rolling. Hopefully that makes sense. Once rolling it just continually goes....CONSITENTLY moving forward and rolling over every thing. It just seemed to stay at a very consistant pace. the bike is so smooth. It just flowed and flowed. Am i repeating myself here? I was also purposely taking bad lines to test the Burner. It was ridiculous...so,good, so smooth so much fun. It pure mountainbike fun.
    This is a dream bike. 27lbs, xx1, rock-shox revelation, (spec is the fox 34 , long story, but the RS performs really well)Thomson stem & seat post race face sixc bar cut down a bit", Stan's arch ex wheel set, xo trail brakes, devo saddle and the new Kenda Honey Badger tires 2.2.(Great new tire rolls fast with great side nobs).
    I know these bikes aren't cheap. Save you duckets for this one. Quit going out to dinner so much, limit your beer budget. Sell your first born . This bike is worth it.
    I have also spent considerable time on the Czar. The Czar makes you want to push so hard. You lay into this bike, push it harder and harder and continually rewards you with an unprecedented stablility control and speed. And then in return again, you go harder and harder, faster and faster. I have ridden hundreds of bikes and nothing I have ever been on makes you wanna ride so hard like thE Czar does.
    Hi Doug,
    Thanks again for letting pedal around your new baby, and for adding your thought to this thread! You guys have a really nice shop!

Its good to hear impressions of people who have been riding 29ers, and then find a 650b bike like the Burner become their "go to bike." Consistency is a nice thing. I've never felt really consistent on my current bike in terms of my riding, I have never played with my bars, pedals, stem, anglesets etc. this much.
    I'm on your email list, so looking forward to a local demo day.
    Thanks!