Thread: Burner vs 5spot

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Burner vs 5spot

I've been riding my 5spot since late 2012 and love it, put a DBair CS on it and love it even more. Anyhow I got a chance to demo the new Burner with the revised tubeset last week and it seems as though it rolls over square edges and root step ups better than my Spot. Is this just the new bikeitis screwing with my head or was this perceived difference real? Any way you slice it though, that burner rips!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Bigger wheels make every rock smaller. Thanks for the feedback. Where did you ride the new tubed Burner?! Thats supposed to be shown at the 'Otter

mtbr member
    Sounds right for slightly slacker geo and bigger wheels. And perhaps a touch of 'new bikeitis' too.

Looking forward to seeing the latest version, it could just be my next bike...

mtbr member
    Ditto^^^

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Dealer in Woodstock Ga has one for demo purposes, just got it in.

mtbr member
    Reviving this thread, does anyone care to comment on the differences between the V3.1 and V3.0 Burner. Besides different tubing, stealth dropper post cable routing, monster 62mm headtube, are there any tweaks to the dw-link?

The reason being is I am planning to either use the frame trade-in program and send in my 2010 5spot for a V3.1, or I have a line on a gently used V3.0 burner. I love the 5spot but my main gripe is that the bike is hard to manual, wheelie, or just pull up the front end in general. I don't like jumping it at all. In comparison, I have much more fun popping off lips and small features on my Ibis Ripley. On the other hand, it sure stays planted on climbs and I can clean technical climbs that I never could on my previous bike, Ventana El Ciclon.

Not sure why the 5spot is less playful, nimble, or dare I use that hated word...flickable. Yuck. But it doesn't seem like a plow bike either. Is it the long-ish chainstays? Does it have too much anti-squat designed into the suspension. Besides the obvious differences in tire size, how how is the Burner differnet from the spot. There was also one change to the spot after to 2010 which was to lower the bb I think and maybe slacken the head angle.

In summary, can someone cough up a brief summary or describe the changes in suspension and implementation of the dw-link from the 2009/10 era Spot to the v3 or V3.1 Burner and how those tweaks have changed ride quality?

... I guess you won't be
    I race my 5-spot in Dual Slalom, and for all around hooligan'ery. I've never had issue with it's flickability, wheeling, or clowning around. I'm not a hucker by any stretch, a bit of a chicken really, but I do like to have fun, even though I'm not very good at wheelie'ing (never have been!). I would guess you're running a stem that's too long and handlebar too low?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jokermtb View Post
    I race my 5-spot in Dual Slalom, and for all around hooligan'ery. I've never had issue with it's flickability, wheeling, or clowning around. I'm not a hucker by any stretch, a bit of a chicken really, but I do like to have fun, even though I'm not very good at wheelie'ing (never have been!). I would guess you're running a stem that's too long and handlebar too low?
    Could be. 70 mm Straightline stem with Enve bars with a few spacers underneath. But my rig is a 2010. I'm curious if anyone cared to elucidate the differnencs from the 2009/2010 Spot to the 2011/2012 changes and then how those translate to the Burner.

Or not, I'm going to do the trade-in anyway. Just checking to see if Push will re-do my MX tune coil shock and then I'll see if I can order the frame sans shock.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Rockman, depending on your height you may want the V3.1 for the shorter seat tube. By sizing up you get some extra reach, shorter stem, and you'll lift the front end easier. Make sure you have room for a dropper.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Rockman, depending on your height you may want the V3.1 for the shorter seat tube. By sizing up you get some extra reach, shorter stem, and you'll lift the front end easier. Make sure you have room for a dropper.
    hmm, sizing up to an extra large? I'm 5'11.5" with a 33" inseam. But my large 5spot does feel a tad small.

Perhaps by the time I pull the trigger the new Lyrik will be out!

mtbr member
    I'm 183cm and felt like the L Burner didn't have enough tech compared to some of the other similar bikes out there, and I didn't want the longer seat tube or stack height of an XL. At your height a large should be OK, depending on what you want from a new bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    I'm 183cm and felt like the L Burner didn't have enough tech compared to some of the other similar bikes out there, and I didn't want the longer seat tube or stack height of an XL. At your height a large should be OK, depending on what you want from a new bike.
    Well, what I want is a 6" travel bike to complement my Ibis Ripley for the more dicey days. I primarily ride Flagstaff/Sedona and while the Ripley climbs like a goat and is plenty fun on most trails around here it's a bit under-matched for many Sedona trails. Not to say that it's not fun or you can't ride some of them but the 5spot is a better tool. Looking hard at the HD3 but also like Turner and what they bring to the table.

mtbr member
    "tech" should be "reach" in that first sentence. Stupid phone....

As much as I love Turners, and without knowing a thing about the trails you're talking about, if I already had a bike like the Ripley I'd probably look at something a little more aggressive than the Burner for a second bike. For my kind of riding, the Burner would be such a good all-rounder I'd find it hard to justify another trail bike unless I was planning to race XC.

mtbr member
    That's good advice DavidR. Perhaps too much cross-over. I need to swing a leg over one. 8 time out of 10 I grab the Ripley over the spot regardless of what I'm riding. The RFX is coming one of these days. Or not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I am 6ft tall, have had three 5 spots. Moved to the Sultan. Also have a Czar. The Burner I have had now for 3 weeks has been a game changer for me. I am playing around with the stem length and have and the best rides on a 40mm.

I have spent time on a Ripley, after you ride the Burner for a while, you will realize how much the Ripley is actually flexing (in a bad way for me).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
    I am 6ft tall, have had three 5 spots. Moved to the Sultan. Also have a Czar. The Burner I have had now for 3 weeks has been a game changer for me. I am playing around with the stem length and have and the best rides on a 40mm.

I have spent time on a Ripley, after you ride the Burner for a while, you will realize how much the Ripley is actually flexing (in a bad way for me).
    How is the Burner game changer? Especially compared to 3 bikes that you also own: Sultan, Czar and 5-Spot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    How is the Burner game changer? Especially compared to 3 bikes that you also own: Sultan, Czar and 5-Spot

A month ago I would have told you I will be on 29s forever and 27.5 is just an excuse to sell bikes. I bought the Burner because a bike shop in Va had one as a demo and the gave me a great deal on it. I had previously ridden the one of the first Burner's in Moab (non ISCG tabs), so I knew I would have a use for the bike.

I do not own a Spot anymore, but but have a Sultan and a Czar.

I can do technical climbs with the Burner that I have never done before on any bike. Not because of gears (set up 32 front, 11 to 42 rear) but because the bike responds so quickly to pedal and steering input. (Czar is set up XX1 with 30 in the front)

I hate to sound like the Giant print ads but the 27.5 really does seem to be a sweet spot. It has brought back a lot of the fun of the 5Spot, but seems to roll just as well as a 29er.

I have overshoot a bunch of transitions/landers on our local trails, because I am riding the Burner faster than other bikes without even trying. I am having to be more aggressive with my brakes because I come into turns hotter and I set a new personal record to get from the parking lot to the top of Greens Lick (Bent Creek, NC) (5.75 mile climb, 47 min). It doe not really make sense that a bike that is 6lbs heavier is faster (weight difference is because of different build kits).

I do not think that I have gotten better, but that the Burner just inspires more confidence and has a more natural feel. I really look forward to getting some Enve's on the Burner, some lighter Cranks and a RS Pike. (My Burner left Murrietta as a Trail Ready build V3.0)
    Last edited by renoirbud; 06-17-2015 at 06:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
    A month ago I would have told you I will be on 29s forever and 27.5 is just an excuse to sell bikes. I bought the Burner because a bike shop in Va had one as a demo and the gave me a great deal on it. I had previously ridden the one of the first Burner's in Moab (non ISCG tabs), so I knew I would have a use for the bike.

I do not own a Spot anymore, but but have a Sultan and a Czar.

I can do technical climbs with the Burner that I have never done before on any bike. Not because of gears (set up 32 front, 11 to 42 rear) but because the bike responds so quickly to pedal and steering input. (Czar is set up XX1 with 30 in the front)

I hate to sound like the Giant print ads but the 27.5 really does seem to be a sweet spot. It has brought back a lot of the fun of the 5Spot, but seems to roll just as well as a 29er.

I have overshoot a bunch of transitions/landers on our local trails, because I am riding the Burner faster than other bikes without even trying. I am having to be more aggressive with my brakes because I come into turns hotter and I set a new personal record to get from the parking lot to the top of Greens Lick (Bent Creek, NC) (5.75 mile climb, 47 min). It doe not really make sense that a bike that is 6lbs heavier is faster (weight difference is because of different build kits).

I do not think that I have gotten better, but that the Burner just inspires more confidence and has a more natural feel. I really look forward to getting some Enve's on the Burner, some lighter Cranks and a RS Pike. (My Burner left Murrietta as a Trail Ready build V3.0)
    I've often thought that a well sorted 27.5 could be a Pisgah slayer. There are certain trails in Pisgah that I've ridden way better on my old 26 Hammerhead 100 than how I've ridden them on my different 29ers....pilot, squirrel, daniel, butter. Though I always thought the 29ers longer wheelbase was the culprit...but the burner isn't really a short wheelbase bike.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Renoirbud, what size Burner are you on. Photos?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Renoirbud, what size Burner are you on. Photos?
    its a large,

Last edited by renoirbud; 06-17-2015 at 02:14 PM.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Very cool.

nocturnal oblivion
    I really hate to be that guy who sums everything with a negative comment, but...
    I'm just so tired of the debates over wheel size. Each trail will be more or less beneficial for each wheel size. Pick one/two/three/four for your riding styles and trails and enjoy.

29 is awesome for some trails and riding style, as is 26, 27.5, 24, 18....stop with this crap and ride what works for you. Please stfu about the wheel sizes. It's a matter of trail and preference.

Should I go question the 29er thread because it doesn't work well at the pump track? Or maybe hit up the DJ thread about how heavy their bikes are for XC. It's up to you what you want...
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Agree, but if you have been on a 5Spot for like 8 years or so like me and have kept doing upgrades to components, etc. its nice to get a whole new package with updated geometry, parts and suspension, its a whole new experience. I loved my 5Spot but I am really lovin my new Burner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble View Post
    I really hate to be that guy who sums everything with a negative comment, but...
    I'm just so tired of the debates over wheel size. Each trail will be more or less beneficial for each wheel size. Pick one/two/three/four for your riding styles and trails and enjoy.

29 is awesome for some trails and riding style, as is 26, 27.5, 24, 18....stop with this crap and ride what works for you. Please stfu about the wheel sizes. It's a matter of trail and preference.

Should I go question the 29er thread because it doesn't work well at the pump track? Or maybe hit up the DJ thread about how heavy their bikes are for XC. It's up to you what you want...
    You are right. Its not a 27.5 vs 29 topic for me. Its the fact that the Burner is an exceptionally well sorted package. I did not even want to switch, now I have to give Enve more of my money.

mtbr member
    For me it's not so much about tire size and more about cross-over. My 29r can do just about most everything the 5spot can but is not the tool for some trails I ride. From what folks have said already the Burner would be the cross-over bike that would do pretty much everything the Ripley can, just not as fast on xc stuff but more proficient in more technical terrain. I was reminded that again yesterday when riding a steep, dh-ish trail here in Flagstaff called Prom Night. Jumps and steep rock rollovers. Guess I'm looking for more of an RFX to complement the Ripley rather than an all-rounder. Hence my reason for posting in this thread. Trying to get a feel for the frame changes and ride characteristics that characterize the design from a 2009/2010 5spot to the Burner.

There haven't really been any reviews so I have no idea if the changes on the new Burner are that transcending that I would just trade-in my 5spot or perhaps wait another year and see if Turner answers the bell with a 6" travel bike. Nice to have these problems.
    Last edited by rockman; 06-19-2015 at 08:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    For me it's not so much about tire size and more about cross-over. My 29r can do just about most everything the 5spot can but is not the tool for some trails I ride. From what folks have said already the Burner would be the cross-over bike that would do pretty much everything the Ripley can, just not as fast on xc stuff but more proficient in more technical terrain. I was reminded that again yesterday when riding a steep, dh-ish trail here in Flagstaff called Prom Night. Jumps and steep rock rollovers. Guess I'm looking for more of an RFX to complement the Ripley rather than an all-rounder. Hence my reason for posting in this thread. Trying to get a feel for the frame changes and ride characteristics that characterize the design from a 2009/2010 5spot to the Burner.

There haven't really been any reviews so I have no idea if the changes on the new Burner are that transcending that I would just trade-in my 5spot or perhaps wait another year and see if Turner answers the bell with a 6" travel bike. Nice to have these problems.
    I think the Burner is your best option. Not sure Turner would bother with a new platform just to gain 1/2" of travel. I think the Burner is the DW RFX in all practicality.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    My 11 Spot made my RFX obsolete. 5 Spot with a 160mm fork kills it.

nocturnal oblivion
    I bet, I'm still running a Pushed 140 Rev on my 2012 spot. I'm endlessly deciding between an X-fusion slant, vengeance, or the newer pike. The Rev is really nice though and so light it's ridiculous.
    Thinking on my previous comment re wheel size, just like my new fork'itis it's an experimentation that keeps things lively. I'd love to wake up to different boobs every morning, same sort of thing.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Kiwi that Flew
    Travis, how have you found your Warden compares in capability regards to your previous Spot with 160 fork?

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Sorry,photo not loading correctly.
    Last edited by hoolie; 06-20-2015 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Picture loads to MTBR sideways

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I would say the Warden is 30% more capable. Slacker front end, steeper STA, more reach, bigger wheels all add up. I really needed more reach, I gained about 45-50mm of reach moving from medium Spot to medium Warden.

Kiwi that Flew
    I would say the Warden is 30% more capable. Slacker front end, steeper STA, more reach, bigger wheels all add up. I really needed more reach, I gained about 45-50mm of reach moving from medium Spot to medium Warden.
    Thanks Travis for the info
    The Warden looks like a bike that I should definitely consider. That said the Capra is also a very tempting option for me.

mtbr member

This. A 160 fork on the spot makes a new bike. I am amazed at how much more fun I am having on this bike with a 160 mm fork. The new 160 forks out there (Pike, Mattoc, new 36, DVO, etc) are really good and really let the spot shine.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post

Not sure why the 5spot is less playful, nimble, or dare I use that hated word...flickable. Yuck. But it doesn't seem like a plow bike either. Is it the long-ish chainstays? Does it have too much anti-squat designed into the suspension. Besides the obvious differences in tire size, how how is the Burner differnet from the spot. There was also one change to the spot after to 2010 which was to lower the bb I think and maybe slacken the head angle.

In summary, can someone cough up a brief summary or describe the changes in suspension and implementation of the dw-link from the 2009/10 era Spot to the v3 or V3.1 Burner and how those tweaks have changed ride quality?
    I felt the exact same way about my 2011 5 Spot. I think the suspension design, while great for climbing smoother trails, had too much anti-squat, making it hard to lift the front end or climb steppy tech. I recently changed the rear shock to a 7.25x1.75 DB Inline which skips the high antisquat part of the original suspension curve and makes the bike feel much more neutral while pedaling. The short shock also dropped the BB by almost 1/2 inch, slacked out the head angle to 66deg, and reduced the travel to ~123mm. Makes it feel like a totally different bike, and I'm liking it much better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaks View Post
    I felt the exact same way about my 2011 5 Spot. I think the suspension design, while great for climbing smoother trails, had too much anti-squat, making it hard to lift the front end or climb steppy tech. I recently changed the rear shock to a 7.25x1.75 DB Inline which skips the high antisquat part of the original suspension curve and makes the bike feel much more neutral while pedaling. The short shock also dropped the BB by almost 1/2 inch, slacked out the head angle to 66deg, and reduced the travel to ~123mm. Makes it feel like a totally different bike, and I'm liking it much better.
    Interesting observations and good to hear I'm not alone on my impression. I've run my 2010 Spot with a Pushed Monarch Plus and a Push MX tune coil. I tried a 170mm Lyrik on the front and eventually lowered it to 160 which felt pretty balanced. Stem length is 60 mm. Not long and not short either.

mtbr member
    Interesting move with the short shock mod of the 5spot, I imagine it would be a blast going down trails where the extra travel isn't needed, but what is it like climbing with the slack seat angle?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    It's no different because I just scoot my saddle forward on the rails to make the same effective seat angle as before.

Let me disclose my full setup:

Large frame with 7.25 x 1.75 DB Inline, makes 123mm travel in the rear
    650B front wheel with 650B Pike set at 135mm
    Creates 66deg Head Angle, 71Deg Seat Angle (but moving saddle forward makes it 73deg again), 13.15 inch BB height.

The bike pedals smoother in rough climbs with less antisquat, is easier to punch the pedal to get some loft on the front, is poppier than before, and feels like it has a much more "premium" ride quality than it did before with a 150mm Rev and a full length RP23. It rails corners better and I'm more confident in the steeps with the bigger front wheel and slacker head angle. About the only place where it gives up something compared to before is fast rocky downhills, but it's not much. There's not much of that where I live anyway. I was inspired to make these changes after test riding a Thunderbolt BC Ed which is basically this bike, but carbon. Since this is not a bike I use for racing, aluminum is just fine and l worry less about damage.