Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Burner repeat

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,012

    Burner repeat

    Got a chance to ride my buddy's burner last weekend which is only significant because it's the first ride I've had on one since my first ride one year ago at interbike.

    I just gotta say: this is one sweet bike. Any reservations I may have had after my initial ride were erased. Light weight. Efficient. Plush over square edges and chunk. Stiff.

    Very impressive bike. That is all.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    2,263
    Thanks Rob!

    DT

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    28
    The Burner is a great all round bike,lots of fun!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,012
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Thanks Rob!

    DT
    You're welcome, Dave. I'll see you Monday morning. I've got the czar and the Flux 650b on my Interbike dance card.

  5. #5
    Pixie Dust Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,308
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    You're welcome, Dave. I'll see you Monday morning. I've got the czar and the Flux 650b on my Interbike dance card.
    Is Turner going to be at the Outdoor Demo?

  6. #6
    destination unknown
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,517
    Burner = Endo and Chili killer. One bike replacer.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kreater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    711
    greg said they will be there, piggy back with enve.
    "Live dangerously and you live right."
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bullit_cn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,526
    I hate you Krob,
    I.'m trying hard controlling myself not getting into this new wheel thing!
    Now my 2 spots are on the classified adds :-(
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,862
    I keep hoping my 2010 5-spot will break.
    "Fart in a paper bag, after eating the #17 plate from filibertos. STRAVA!" M77Ranger.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bullit_cn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,526
    Sell it, broken Spot only have a value of 600usd :-)
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

  11. #11
    ~~~~~~~~
    Reputation: airwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,778
    And.... what did it feel like when you got back on your bike?
    I just have not got back on the 26" trail bike since getting the burner, I must not be that curious.

  12. #12
    My cup runneth over
    Reputation: rmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,106
    KRob - I remember when you had your '10 5Spot and compared it to the Chili and at the time didn't feel the Chili was sufficiently better than the Spot to justify the change. In the end I think you did make the change to the Chili. If you can, I would like to hear a more detailed comparison between the three (maybe later with the five!). I am thinking of replacing my current '10 5Spot & Flux with maybe a Chili (or burner) and Czar but probably won't get a chance to throw a leg over any of them. Decisions, decisions....

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,012
    Quote Originally Posted by kreater View Post
    greg said they will be there, piggy back with enve.
    That's good to know. I'd've been looking for Turner tent.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,012
    Quote Originally Posted by LncNuvue View Post
    Burner = Endo and Chili killer. One bike replacer.
    I still want two bikes, and I'm not ready to give up the Chili, so I'm looking for something to complement it. Flux 650b perhaps?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullit_cn View Post
    I hate you Krob,
    I.'m trying hard controlling myself not getting into this new wheel thing!
    Now my 2 spots are on the classified adds :-(
    Sorry. Just calling it like I see it. I've been keen on the 650b thing since I first rode the Carver650 Killer B ti hardtail like five years ago. I figured this wheel size would catch on to some extent but I had no idea it would take the industry by storm like it has.

    I had to let my 5 Spot go in parts 8 months ago and didn't get a lot for it. I'm sure with many people interested in the 27.5 thing it's going to be even harder to sell a 26" trail bike now. Good luck.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,012
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck View Post
    And.... what did it feel like when you got back on your bike?
    I just have not got back on the 26" trail bike since getting the burner, I must not be that curious.
    One nice thing about having only one bike and riding by yourself most of the time is that you don't notice so much when your one bike isn't in its ideal realm. But when I got back on the Chili couple days later it did feel a bit heavier and a bit more sluggish on the same XCish type trails for which it is admittedly too much bike. I had to take the chili on some true gnar gnar yesterday so I could feel its advantages again. All is right with the universe again.

    Although it'd be interesting to try the Burner (or Bronson or Warden) on some of that same gnarlier terrain to see if they can compete with the Chili there. From what I've read, I suspect they can for the most part.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,012
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac View Post
    KRob - I remember when you had your '10 5Spot and compared it to the Chili and at the time didn't feel the Chili was sufficiently better than the Spot to justify the change. In the end I think you did make the change to the Chili. If you can, I would like to hear a more detailed comparison between the three (maybe later with the five!). I am thinking of replacing my current '10 5Spot & Flux with maybe a Chili (or burner) and Czar but probably won't get a chance to throw a leg over any of them. Decisions, decisions....
    I also said that it was more capable in the steeper, more technical, terrain I love without giving up much to the Turner in the tamer, smoother stuff..... and, you're correct, I did end up with one about a year later.

    So far I'm loving it. I still feel like the 5 Spot compares pretty well with the Chilcotin where they overlap, stepping ahead a bit in the smoother, more XC type trails and falling behind compared to the Chili in the more techy, chunky, steep, droppy, and outright DH stuff. I love the territory it covers and it does what I wanted it to do: Fill the void left when I sold the 5 Spot and the Delirium T.

    Now I need something that can fill the other end of the spectrum: XC to Trail without overlapping too much with the Chili.

    I really don't have enough time on the Burner to say if it could be the "one" bike to fill both those bike "needs" all by itself but like I said, it is one impressive bike.

    Stay tuned. I'm hoping that between Interbike and Outerbike I'll get to ride most of the contenders.
    Last edited by KRob; 09-14-2013 at 07:11 AM.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wilks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,567
    Sounds more like flux spitfire solo so you have separation and test ride warden Bronson mach6 rune etc to see how you think they compare to the chilcotin. Looking forward to your comments.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,012
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Sounds more like flux spitfire solo so you have separation and test ride warden Bronson mach6 rune etc to see how you think they compare to the chilcotin. Looking forward to your comments.
    Correct..... but you never know..... With comparisons come a wandering eye.

  20. #20
    destination unknown
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,517
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I still want two bikes, and I'm not ready to give up the Chili, so I'm looking for something to complement it. Flux 650b perhaps?
    I'm 95% I'm getting a Flux to replace my Spot sometime near the end of the year. I strongly considered a Solo but I'll stay true to my roots and what's treated me so well and go with the T. The Burner is a possibility but it's a lot of bike. It would have been nice if you could have ridden the Flux at IB.

  21. #21
    ~~~~~~~~
    Reputation: airwreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    5,778
    Sounds like KRob is headed to OB and will have more to share. I haven't seen any comments comparing the rides of the Solo and Flux and I am curious myself.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    138
    hey krob,

    just curious how the bike was setup? specifically what length fork it had on it... very interested in the burner with a 160mm fork... still wish it had a little more travel in the rear..

  23. #23
    destination unknown
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,517
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I really don't have enough time on the Burner to say if it could be the "one" bike to fill both those bike "needs" all by itself
    Of course it will

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: starre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    545
    krob - always enjoy your impressions from Interbike. now the question: can you give us your thoughts on the Burner vs Mach6, Bronson, etc.? thanks!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,012
    Quote Originally Posted by gnomer View Post
    hey krob,

    just curious how the bike was setup? specifically what length fork it had on it... very interested in the burner with a 160mm fork... still wish it had a little more travel in the rear..
    I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure my buddy's bike has a Fox 34 150 fork.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hopefully not a KT Repeat...(GPX file needed)
    By lstone84 in forum Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08-02-2013, 11:09 AM
  2. The Giro: A Ryder Repeat?
    By garage monster in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 06-26-2013, 11:21 AM
  3. Rinse and Repeat
    By 69erSycip in forum Maverick
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2011, 11:21 AM
  4. Stumpy HT brakes-- a bit of a repeat!
    By cooltool in forum Specialized
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 08:13 AM
  5. Repeat flat problems
    By whos that guy in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 04:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •