No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Burner as a quiver-killer in tough terrain?

In a first-world bike conundrum and looking for input.

Me: 6'2, 190, reasonably fit and technically adept. I live in the Phoenix metro area and most of my "XC" or "trail" rides involve a fair amount of steep, punchy climbs punctuated with a lot of square edges. Then a lot of steep, loose descents littered with rock drops and a lot of high-speed chunk.

My current stable:

-- 2011 Intense M9 DH bike
    -- 2012 Titus El Guapo. This is my "everyday" bike, coil/coil, slackset, plush, about 34 pounds
    -- 2012 Transition Trans Am 29er. I just sold this bike, freeing up some bike funds and I'm pretty well done with 29ers, at least for now (that's a different story).

The DH bike isn't going anywhere. The hole in the lineup is a bike that's a bit lighter and more efficient pedaling.

I do have a bike problem and have owned any number of high-end rigs, including two Spots (one 5 and one 5.5, both Horst) and an RFX. All were great for riding here in the desert. The newer EG is even better. The bike is an absolute beast on the descents, totally rips technical stuff, but it's a plodding climber at best with the platform-less coil.

So, I'm considering the Burner. At its price point, I will probably have to let go of the EG, too, to justify it. And, honestly, I'm interested in going back to a two-bike stable, which in this case would be the Burner and the M9 for shuttling.

I have only owned one DW bike, which was a Pivot Mach 5.7. I love the company and the people who work at Pivot, but I do have to say, for me, the M5.7 was the worst bike I've ever owned. It was efficient, but would get hung up on ledges climbing and was noodly and easily overwhelmed in high-speed chunk.

I don't want to make another expensive mistake and realistically, I won't get to test the Burner on that type of terrain.

What I'm looking for is a sub-30 pound bike that is efficient and somewhat active/plush on the climbs and that can still slay technical downhill riding without being flexy or overwhelmed by multiple square-edge hits.

Anyone riding a Burner on this type of terrain? I'm very anxious to hear your thoughts on it. Thanks for bearing with this long post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Mojo HD, keep old wheels/fork, save money, avoid wearing that scarlet "T" everywhere, too. You're welcome.
    Last edited by Mrwhlr; 06-02-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added jerkyness....
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    PM JTBAZ. He has a Burner that he rides at SOMO quite a bit. He may have some good input on the Burner in AZ rocks.

What happened to the Delerium T?

Are you giving that Van 36 a good workout?

Bob

Kiwi that Flew

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    What I'm looking for is a sub-30 pound bike that is efficient and somewhat active/plush on the climbs and that can still slay technical downhill riding without being flexy or overwhelmed by multiple square-edge hits..
    What you have described is the current DW 5.Spot, so in answer to your question - the Burner is the bike you want. Everything the Spots got but even better.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I will, thanks.

The D-T is a goner, replaced with an actual DH bike. The Vanilla is performing quite well on my EG. Wish it was lighter, but hard to complain about the performance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have had the Burner for a couple of months. I have also owned an El Guapo and Mach 5.7. The Burner is a great do-it-all trail bike and is well suited for the SoMo terrain. It can easily handle National/Morman and will be fast on DC. The DW link suspension rounds out the square edge bumps we ride on SoMo. It corners great even at high speeds. It is very balanced on the climbs and stable on the descents - typical Turner characteristics. The Burner is definitely more plush than the 5.7 but slightly less "beefy" as the El Guapo.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for that. Buy it from Rage?

I try not to ride DC. Thoughts on some of the steeper stuff like Old Man? Or any of the super-sketch stuff at PMP like hairball or cheesegrater?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I bought it from Kore Bikes. It should be able to handle very steef stuff and super sketchy stuff. It is very stiff and plush. The 34/150 is a good combination.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Thanks for that. Buy it from Rage?

I try not to ride DC. Thoughts on some of the steeper stuff like Old Man? Or any of the super-sketch stuff at PMP like hairball or cheesegrater?
    Old Man! What a fun trail!

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by justamember View Post
    Is that near Old Lady Aimes?
    Further west. Not as challenging as Old lady Ames, but fun none the less.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight