mtbr member

Burner questions: Replace my yeti sb66

Looking to replace my yeti sb66 and possibly go with a burner. I'm on a medium, aluminum 2013 model SB. Currently using a RS pike set in 160, using ck hubs with stans flow rims. The bike has been good but the warranty is up and I'm interested in trying some 650b wheels. Usually prefer the rough stuff. Mostly xc but love to hit the lift parks when I can. Always running a minimum of 2.35 tires (love my new schwalbe NN and magic mary).

Has any one came from a Yeti and gone to turner? I like a tighter cockpit when it comes to sizing. I seem to have an odd build compared to most, short arms/legs and longer torso. I say I'm built like a weiner dog, long in the middle and short on both ends

Also, how does the ordering direct from turner work? Will they swap parts? I did notice that it says to specify if you want a 1x over the 2x drivetrain but I didn't see a spot to check a box on the site.

It's still up in the air at this point but I'm really interested. Haven't been on a US made bike since my Titus FTM!
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    I went from a Yeti SB95c to a Burner, love it, fits like a glove (I'm 5ft 11" on large bikes).

mtbr member
    How do you feel the switch link compares to the dw stuff ? I have yet to try a dw bike but I've had niners, Titus ,specialized, (both fsr) and a couple unified rear triangle bikes.

mtbr member

Burner questions: Replace my yeti sb66

I prefer the DW Link, it tends to do everything better than the Switch in my opinion. It climbs much better, it's plush and soaks everything up and gives huge traction yet it also remains active during braking. It's my new bench mark to compare everything else to whereas the Yeti was my previous.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Well. This one is sorta teed up for me.
    2 weeks ago I was riding a Yeti SB66c and now am riding a Turner Burner v3.1.
    I was always a Turner homer for the most part and have 4 in the garage for my whole family. The Yeti was like a midlife crisis. I was seduced by the carbon lust and loooong TT of the Yeti.

You will like the Burner much more than the Yeti.
    The geo is slightly shorter reach. But the stack is more which is very nice IMO. I think this constant drive to be over the fork so much is uncomfortable.I run a 15mm longer stem than the Yetii which gets me a bit more of the front axle which keeps front in check on climbs. I don't notice any negatives on the downs at all.
    The big diff is that the DW link is so clearly better than any other system. Once you get the setup correct this bike is so much faster (not that I really care actually) but it is nice and I have much more control and the bike just stays planted, unlike the Yeti which I always felt was pushing the front in corners or the rear was skittish under braking on DH. not to mention the switch would always pump/biopace a bit on steep hard climbs which was not good.
    In addition the long TT I thought was so great led to the front end always wandering up on steep climbs.
    The Turner setup I have is a 2016 Fox36 Float fork which is amazing due to the volume spacers that system allows.2016 Fox DPS Evol shock. This shock was quickly setup with a Large Volume spacer and uses 20-30% more PSI than a standard aircan. But wow!! It is really plush on the little stuff and still holds up in the midstroke. I have no desire for a Cane Creek or other shock option . This is an awesome shock right out of the box. I ride it in Med position most of the time , except on DH I go to softest and steep smooth climbs I will flip it to firm. The firm is much more firm than previous Fox shocks I've had.
    That new RFX is sexy for sure , but probably more bike than I need. The Burner is a perfect aggressive allmountain/ trail bike.
    Turner crew is legendary with the CS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    I prefer the DW Link, it tends to do everything better than the Switch in my opinion. It climbs much better, it's plush and soaks everything up and gives huge traction yet it also remains active during braking. It's my new bench mark to compare everything else to whereas the Yeti was my previous.
    Agree with this. My findings as well.
    The Mtn Bike App --> http://mtbphotoz.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible View Post
    How do you feel the switch link compares to the dw stuff ? I have yet to try a dw bike but I've had niners, Titus ,specialized, (both fsr) and a couple unified rear triangle bikes.
    Hey I remember you from the old titus forum! I used to have a ML. Man those were the days. RIP Titus.

Personally, I find the dw to be much better than the switch link. I ride with a guy with a SB66 and I have ridden his bike and he has ridden my 5-spot. We both agree the dw link is better. Were the yeti skips and bounces the dw link just stays calm and sucks everything up. If you liked the feel of the Titus - when the shock was run wide open on the downs, that is the dw link. It feels very similar to the best of the HL when taking bumps. It is not perfect but it is damn good.

But don't buy a Turner because of the dw link, but rather for the rest of the bike. Turner makes a very fun and capable bike. Everything just feels right.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    So what do you guys think of the build kits? I love that they come with the pike but wish they would do a monarch shock instead of the Fox. And the cane creek is nice but quite the upgrade in price.

Are the schwalbe tires the performance (cheap) version or the nicer compounds?

Of all the build kits I'm really liking the XT kit. Pretty much what I use on the yeti but sub my hope brakes and CK hubs.