My cup runneth over

Burner HL rear triangle

Just thinking out loud here – Are any of you Burner owners who are considering an upgrade to a 5 Spot thinking about keeping the Burner rear triangle (same as the ‘Spot, I believe) and just getting the ‘Spot front triangle/rockers/rear shock (plus fork etc)? Kind of wondering primarily how much that would cost, but recognizing that would keep the HL too… Has anyone figured this out yet?

Rolling
    Seems like someone did this recently...and I'm not talking about Aqua's 5 pack.

MK_
    carpe maana
    Quote Originally Posted by rmac
    Just thinking out loud here – Are any of you Burner owners who are considering an upgrade to a 5 Spot thinking about keeping the Burner rear triangle (same as the ‘Spot, I believe) and just getting the ‘Spot front triangle/rockers/rear shock (plus fork etc)? Kind of wondering primarily how much that would cost, but recognizing that would keep the HL too… Has anyone figured this out yet?
    DT specifically said that he would not sell the rockers unless they came on a complete frame. Getting all but the two rear pieces, might be good enough. Just email Turner, they'll surely answer your question.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    DT specifically said that he would not sell the rockers unless they came on a complete frame. Getting all but the two rear pieces, might be good enough. Just email Turner, they'll surely answer your question.

_MK
    Does anyone know if the Flux rear end is also the same?
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    yep. flux rears are the same as spot rears. same true for '06. thats from the horses mouth btw.

now rmac... lemme make sure i understand ya. you wanna match a burner rear to a spot front? hmmmm. not 100% pos but im pretty close to it so ill say most likely that cant be done. the geo of the 2 is way diff as is the geo of both fronts and rockers. hell, it might just bolt on but ride quality? gotta think it would totaly blow. ask turner as mk suggested and get back to us please. interesting idea anyway.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

recently thought about it!

I thought about it, as well as I thought about the five pack with the burner end!

Can you please keep us informed about this!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    yep. flux rears are the same as spot rears. same true for '06. thats from the horses mouth btw.

now rmac... lemme make sure i understand ya. you wanna match a burner rear to a spot front? hmmmm. not 100% pos but im pretty close to it so ill say most likely that cant be done. the geo of the 2 is way diff as is the geo of both fronts and rockers. hell, it might just bolt on but ride quality? gotta think it would totaly blow. ask turner as mk suggested and get back to us please. interesting idea anyway.
    it's not a frankenbike...if the Burner rear assembly (chainstay/seatstay) is the same as the Spot and Flux, as has been reported here, then you could assemble a HL Spot or Flux with your Burner rear end and a new front triangle/rockers.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

My cup runneth over
    Received a response from Turner:
    --
    Yes the rears are interchangeable to the front, some combo's do not work but this is feasible. If we sell you a front triangle it has to be done under a warranty exchange, this means that I would need to get your Burner Front end back from you and then process your front Triangle. The total cost for Front Triangle, Rockers and Shock would be $1000.00. This would be for a ready to assemble front with bushings and pivot shafts installed, plus rockers and shock.
    Let us know if we can help.

Jarett Dierken
    Sales Manager
    www.turnerbikes.com
    --
    (Thanks Jarett!)

Can Tree Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn

I was going to drop this question since the thread was stale, but since rmac just revived it for us, help me understand the following. If the rear ends are the same between the Burner, Flux, and Spot, why does the Flux have a shorter effective chainstay length than the Burner? Is it because the pivot position has changed relative to the bottom bracket?

Semi-related question -- It looks like you can upgrade your Burner to a HL Spot for a thousand clams, and you would have retired the Burner front triangle for good...ground up for beer cans, probably. What would the net cost be of buying an entire Spot (or Flux) frame, swapping the rear ends and selling the TNT'ed Burner frame? Seems like that might be more ecologically sound, and would keep an otherwise perfectly good Burner from meeting a fate worse than death just because one of us got a bad case of UGI.
    Dad is sad.
    Very, very sad.
    He had a bad day.
    What a day Dad had!

MK_
    carpe maana
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad Man Walking
    Seems like that might be more ecologically sound, and would keep an otherwise perfectly good Burner from meeting a fate worse than death just because one of us got a bad case of UGI.
    It is possible that Turner wants to get some Burner front ends for crash replacements. Strip the powdercoating, polish the Al and recoat. I could be totally wrong.

Also, I sold my Burner and got a 5 Spot a few months ago. I should have waited with selling the frame until now, as since Supergo Burners got sold out, the frames are going for a premium. Say you'll get ~$800 for the Burner frame. Choose a frame you want to upgrade to, subtract $800 and you come out ahead getting the front triangle from Turner with the rockers and a shock. Polishing that rear will take some work

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho