Rolling

Burner, Fruita, CO

For the riding in Fruita, CO, I can't see needing any other bike there . Maybe it's the small block-8 tires but my last trip there was my best.

oh wait, my sex beads...I forgot.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    i remember those old schwinn computer harness's. same cable they use on the golden gate bridge.

glad the old gal is still workin for ya. its a great bike and ive enjoyed takein mine from the wall to the trail again.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Burner in Fruita, sounds like heaven.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

My cup runneth over
    Glad to see I am not the only one running a GD on a Burner...

Bite Me.
    I miss my Burner. It is a very capable bike for the Fruita area, but there are some rides where a bigger bike may be necessary.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I'm never getting rid of my Burner

I have a stable of four bikes and if I had to keep just one it'd be The Reborn Burner. The Spot wants to go bigger than I want to, the Superlight is a slicin' and dicin' singletrack machine, but so is the Burner and TRB is plusher. Think I'll keep my townie too. Nice pic, lidarman.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Yeah, I havent ridden Fruita in years but I could have sworn like Cutthroat there was some stuff that a bigger bike would be very nice for. Is all of fruita xc? I remember there being some great AM riding on the Loops?

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Playdeep
    Yeah, I havent ridden Fruita in years but I could have sworn like Cutthroat there was some stuff that a bigger bike would be very nice for. Is all of fruita xc? I remember there being some great AM riding on the Loops?
    All of 18 Road is pretty much XC oriented - very nice narrow singletrack mixed up with with short sections of rock. The Kokopelli Loops have more of an AM flavor, more rock obstacles, ledges, and technical stuff. Moore Fun is the really tough AM trail at Kokopelli, but there are also easier sweeps of singletrack as you head west towards Rabbit Valley. The stuff around Grand Junction Lunch Loops is marginally more technical than Kokopelli, but quite similar in many respects. There is now a dedicated downhill FR trail at the Lunch Loops area called Free Lunch that has plenty of big drops and ledges - it's a one way DH trail with a squirrel catcher feature right at the start that you need to be able to ride before entering the trail. There is a designated route, but in spots the trail opens up into "play areas" where free form riding is permitted. Decline Magazine had a nice write up on how the trail came into being. So, to answer your question, you can pretty much find whatever kind of riding you want out there. That photo is of Shaheeb riding the Lunch Loops terrain.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Rolling
    Cuttthroat, I'm not capable of taking any bike off that drop.

But as far as the Burner, I have no problem riding it on any of the trails out there, In fact, it excelled at Moore Fun because it climbs so well, yet lets me rip down the rocks. I might have gained a little on the descent with more travel, but those climbs are fairly brutal.

What really surprised me was how well the small block-8s hook up on all the terrain-the rocks and even the loose stuff on 18 road.
    Last edited by lidarman; 04-23-2008 at 11:30 AM.

rr
    I don't do PC
    I agree the ole Burner was great at Koko's and 18 rd, altho Moore fun might be more fun on a beefier trail bike. I will take a big bike for the lunch loop stuff tho, and a shuttle.

oh yeah, the problem has been fixed since, but the HL didn't like that drop either