mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Burner Front fork length- 80 or 100

I know the preferred length is 100 mm, but would a Rockshox Sid Race be ok on a Burner?

I going for light weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I actually called Turner about this same question. I spoke to Casey and then also to Greg and both said it is absolutely fine to put an 80mm on there. It will yield approx. a steeper 1 degree head angle which will result in a quicker handling ride. They said with a 100mm is a more balanced ride with regards to front and rear travel but honestly will probably not be that noticeable. I'm going for lightness also and will be putting on a RS Race 80mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    If you want a really light turner, why not wait for the race FS they are supposed to come out with later this year. It is supposed to be nearly 1 pound lighter than the Burner.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CDMC
    If you want a really light turner, why not wait for the race FS they are supposed to come out with later this year. It is supposed to be nearly 1 pound lighter than the Burner.
    Good idea. I wasnt aware of that upcoming frame, but I need something to ride now. And who know what kind of price its gonna have. My max I can spend on a frame is $1500, and I'd prefer to spend a little less.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I also wouldn't believe Turner delivery dates...

My wife waited for a Burner almost 2 months past when thay said it would be ready. And that was from a batch that "just needed to come back from the painters"

Dave

eastman

New question here. New Turner lineup for 04?

Quote Originally Posted by CDMC

Is this fact now? I’ve only heard mention of this on the Turner website (something about 5 new rigs for 04).

Anyone have additional detail on the xc/race frame…guess this would be somewhat similar to the o2??

Thanks!

-e

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Perhaps.

Historically Turner has been pretty bad about estimating these things. Of course, almost all Boutique builders are bad at estimating these things

Worth the wait though.

Dave

Motion activated
    I just hope he puts in the effort to design something new. Other bike companies have new designs every year, but Dave Turner has been flogging that same old design for ten years now.

j/k

No, that's not phonetic
    The light full-suspension xc racer market is also very crowded. If they were disappointed with RFX sales, they had better brace themselves for the potentially low number of Nitrous bikes which go out the door. Turner has typically put enough travel difference between the models that there is no application overlap, but the Nitrous seems somewhat redundant to the Burner. If Turner wants to cover the light xc niche, they should drop the Burner and really pour their best effort into the Nitrous to make it stand out, imo.

tscheezy
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

eastman

New question here. XCE vs o2

This all seems a bit familiar to the comparison of the XCE and o2; both great rides with some overlap.

The landscape does look somewhat competitive in this space…but there’s considerable market share for-the-taking out there...especially in the 3-4 xc travel arena.

Would be interesting to know the demographics of buyers in various categories…I still get amazed at the growing number of 30+ riders that hit local xc race scene…this group, by far, is the biggest category. And possibly one of the groups with good disposable income (exotic rig…fun sport).

Anyway…any additional info out there on the Nitrous...would sure like to hear some.

-e

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Spoke to Turner, since I was originally looking for a pair of v-brake bosses, and got to mention the Nitrous. He said they are expecting them tomorrow to get ready for the Sea Otter Classic next week. I might have to go check it out!

eastman

Good job! Nice!

Take some pics and post them up...if you can.

Did you get any specs? Is the setup similar to the o2?

Thanks,
    -e

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eastman
    Take some pics and post them up...if you can.

Did you get any specs? Is the setup similar to the o2?

Thanks,
    -e
    No specs revealed. But mentioned won't see them on the market until end of the year..maybe.. But then again that may come in no time since I will be enjoying my Burner till then. I will definitely take pics and post if i make it to the event. Otherwise, I'm sure someone will before I do.