Solum Volamus

Burner: Float R or RP23?

I'm doing a little teardown/rebuild/upgrade of my Burner and thought I'd replace the 3-way with a newer Fox...but I'm not sure which is better for the suspension design. I don't really want to spend the extra $ on the RP23 if it really won't do much for me. Having a lockout isn't a big deal for me either. I'll probably look at getting it PUSHED down the road also. I use this bike mostly for longer rides or more technical trails and tend to stick to my hardtail more regularly...so I like a stiffer setup on the rear shock normally.

Thanks!
    Beau

Ridin' in iRie meditation
    RP23 definitely!

PUSH is a bonus.

I took this same upgrade path - without question, a no-brainer.

Solum Volamus
    Cool...that's pretty much what I've been leaning towards too! Here she is currently waiting for a new bushing set, brakes and cables. I installed one of the new headtube badges too...I think they look sweet!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TUMBLEWEED
    I'm doing a little teardown/rebuild/upgrade of my Burner and thought I'd replace the 3-way with a newer Fox...but I'm not sure which is better for the suspension design.

...so I like a stiffer setup on the rear shock normally.
    So does this mean you don't like the Swinger? I found that if I wanted it set up stiff or plush with the Swinger it could do either, but for me it was one or the other. That led me to get the RP23 and I love it. We have a lot of trails that are fireroad up and then singletrack down around here, so I find myself using the lockout on those. I still have the Swinger and if I was racing I'd think about using it.

-Derek

P.S. Love the color of that frame.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    just did the same thing on the rfx after a year of torture. also waitin for the last of the new bits.

anyway, id go with the rp23. currently usin a float rl on mine,
    No, I'm NOT back!

Solum Volamus
    I don't really dislike the 3-way...but after 4 years I'm ready to try something else! It is a lot cheaper than throwing down for a new Flux. Especially since this frame has a lot of life left in her!

Pulled the trigger on an RP23...so I'll post a report when it is all back together and I get some rides in. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    good deal! yer gonna wish ya did this a long time ago. maybe try a longer fork and some xr rockers next. now whatever ya do, dont ride a flux. itll blow yer whole plan,
    No, I'm NOT back!

Solum Volamus

Reborn Burner!

Finally got all the pieces put back together and everything working in harmony again.

I was able to get a nice 13 mile ride with the new setup on the trails at SnowBasin near Ogden last weekend. The RP23 was a great upgrade and I'm also digging the newer Juicy 7s now that they're all broken in! The Burner got a complete teardown and rebuild, so it's in pretty good shape for the time being.

Thanks everyone for the help with the RP23 decision. I like the way the bike climbs with the ProPedal and then just flip the switch for any extended downhills. It is usually climb, climb, climb then all descending around here anyway!

Beau
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I did a full rebuild on my swinger (new o-rings, seals etc, used 5 w.t oil) about a year ago and haven't looked back. Even though I run *about* 150 in the SPV it still rides nice and plush without excessive bobbing.

Yeah maybe one day I'll get a flux but quite frankly I love my Burner- Its probably the most overbuilt 3.6" travel bike around. The fact EC used one to race slalom says it all really...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

nope

definitely a coil shock with ti spring. Nothing comes close. It will weigh a little bit more - about 200 grams and these folks will laugh at it. But after riding it you will see what its worth.