mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The Burner does North Table Mountain

Most trails on the Front Range, on the weekends, are full of hikers/horses/and yes quite a few bikes. Where to ride that's uncrowded to get acquainted again with a 100mm fork that's been sitting in a box in the basement for the past year (2007 Fox F32 100 RLC)? A fine fork, but I've been on U-Turn Revelations and Rebas so...onto the Burner it went (it hadn't even lost 1/2 lb of pressure in a year.)

I chose North Table Mountain. It's this mountain island up about 600 feet higher than everything around it, maybe 5 square miles. The only access routes are really steep and pretty much eliminate riders who don't like to climb or hikers who just don't want to put out the effort. Up top it's pretty easy. It's treeless, full of cactus and really different than the surrounding Front Range Trails. I saw NOBODY up there yesterday (Saturday) and just a handful today.

Who's pawprint is that? A mountain lion?

For a cool aerial view, check out this linky (it's image #1 and NTM is the one on the bottom of the pic):

http://geology.about.com/od/geology_...enoverview.htm
    Last edited by xcguy; 06-20-2012 at 05:10 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

You can put in a few miles on top if you loop around

You can't go off trail because there's bound to be a cactus with your name on it.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I rode across to the west and went down a dirt service road

This road loops around the north end of NTM, down about 500 feet from up on top. Straight down. Most of the cliffs are off limits to hikers/climbers (nesting raptors) and in fact a lot of the trails I rode this weekend are closed for months at a time for nesting season. There is a dedicated climbing area on the south side. The pic of the deer is only about a 1/3 or the total population. They're all ears when you approach. I'm always amazed at how cool it is to cruise around up there with nobody around, while in reality NTM is surrounded by houses. I also love the fact that to get to the top you have to grind up one of three nasty climbs.

Team Blindspot
    Nice pics XCG!

Question: do you ever ride? Or do just follow your bike around like some sort of Stalker
    Astigmatic Visionary

mtbr member
    Nice pics. Man,...I need to get out of Texas!

mtbr member
    nice....the trails look perfect for tidybeard's RFX

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Sorta seems that way doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by S-Works
    Nice pics XCG!

Question: do you ever ride? Or do just follow your bike around like some sort of Stalker
    I'm putting in the same amount of miles but stopping and taking pics more this year. Just trying to baby my right knee. Last year in the spring I rode more and more and harder then...I limped all the rest of the year. If the price I have to pay to not have my knees blow up on me is taking more pics of my rides...I'm ok with that

gravity curmudgeon
    Track --> I'd say that's an upside down canid track, although I don't see (at first blush) indentations from the nails. That shape and rear pad look canid to me, however.

Nice pics! Love seeing shots from the Front Range. That's the family home turf, and it gives me a warm fuzzy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Yeah, I don't list tracking as one of my outdoor skills

Quote Originally Posted by cowdog
    Track --> I'd say that's an upside down canid track, although I don't see (at first blush) indentations from the nails. That shape and rear pad look canid to me, however.

Nice pics! Love seeing shots from the Front Range. That's the family home turf, and it gives me a warm fuzzy.
    I followed these prints for quite awhile and never saw any evidence of claws. I also looked up cougar vs dog paw prints and they're sort of similar. This one was about the size of my fist. It wouldn't be uncommon to see a mountain lion up there but that's a long way to go for it to come across a deer. There's plenty of those just over there in the foothills.

I just looked at the aerial shot again and trails you can "see": Dakota Ridge, Green Mountain, Matthews Winters, Chimney Gulch. If you squint through the haze there's Mt. Falcon way down south. Past the pic of the Burner on the side of the cliff, looking northwest you can see White Ranch, then Boulder in the distance.