Thread: Burner Creak?

mtbr member
    May 2005

Burner Creak?

Thinking about picking up a new Burner. The numbers look about perfect but I'm worried about creaking pivots (was not related to derailleur hanger etc). My last 2 DW spots creaked out of the gate so I wanted to see if anyone is experiencing the issue on the Burner? My other option will be to move on to a different brand, maybe try the Bronson so your thoughts are appreciated.

mtbr member
    I've only got around 150 miles on mine but its pivots are dead quiet and smooth.

mtbr member
    I've been riding one since late December and the only sounds I can speak of are my giggles.
    2012 Turner DHR
    2013 Turner Burner

mtbr member
    The suspension was very smooth out of the box and has always been quiet. 300 miles on it so far.

~~~~~~~~
    no creaky here either. How did Turner handle your issues? Has anyone ridden both bikes and offered a comparison? Looks like most of the Bronson chatter is about fit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Creaks usually are not a problem with any given bike, per se. They're a problem stemming from set-up/repair/maintenance, and frequently stem from drivetrain, headset, or wheel components as opposed to the frame itself.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I can assure you the creaking I experienced was not related to set-up/repair/maintenance, stem, drivetrain or anything other than the lower pivots. I had many conversations with the company over the issue and was always sent new pivot shafts for the issue. Sounds like the newer bikes do not have the issue but either way I'm going to proceed with caution.

mtbr member
    300 miles on mine and have a developed a tick/pinging noise under hard-mid force pedalling sounds just as if a small ball bearing is being thrown at the frame..ive not had a chance to look for it yet...its not loud or a creak just a tick/click..annoying though...i had one on my old flux the same i never did find out what it was...as it would come and go..

brilliant bike tho id not llet it put you off as im sure its just a matter of finding it..

mtbr member
    I have that same noise on a 08' 5 spot and for the life of me cannot locate it. It happens mainly in the drier warmer months.
    Quote Originally Posted by CragRat View Post
    300 miles on mine and have a developed a tick/pinging noise under hard-mid force pedalling sounds just as if a small ball bearing is being thrown at the frame..ive not had a chance to look for it yet...its not loud or a creak just a tick/click..annoying though...i had one on my old flux the same i never did find out what it was...as it would come and go..

brilliant bike tho id not llet it put you off as im sure its just a matter of finding it..
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have just over 200 miles on my Burner and have developed a noise from the shock mounts. Would removing the bolts lube and torque help? Thx

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My burner started creaking on a ride a few weeks after I built it. We kept stopping and checking different things. My bud cranked on the DT Swiss TA quick release a little and that stopped it right there. Then I just made sure there was a bit a grease on all the QR interfaces and my burner been quite since.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurven240z View Post
    I have just over 200 miles on my Burner and have developed a noise from the shock mounts. Would removing the bolts lube and torque help? Thx
    It certainly can't hurt to check the torque on all the suspension pivots.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The derailleur hanger is one of the more common creaking points on Turners. Pop it off and grease it up.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The creak problems on full suspension bikes is one of the trade offs. The derailleur hanger has been talked about on here many times and greasing that up is always what I would do first with a Turner. Next, I would lube my rear derailleur. All brands seem to creak when mashing the pedals if badly neglected. Third, I would make sure all of my cable ferrule's are clean and lubed. Sometimes these will creak on a real dusty ride. Cranks and bottom brackets can be a never ending problem, but that is the fourth thing that I would check.

If all of these things don't work, I would focus on the bottom bracket pivot. It's rare to have problems with any other pivot on a Turner. The zerks keep the bushings well-lubed and the non-bottom bracket pivots seem to last forever. My TNT Flux develops a creak when mashing the pedals after about ten hours or so of use. It is easily fixed by loosening the pan head bolts on the main pivot a few turns and applying plenty of grease so that the excess is squeezed out when the bolts are tightened. This has worked for a few of my friends that ride the DW bikes also. Lube doesn't always push all the way out to the bolts when you lube the zerks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Spent sometime this evening cleaning and removed the upper shock bolt cleaned and torqued. Then I noticed the same noise when I moved the brake line zipped tied by the lower shock bolt. Cleaned and the noise is gone. :~)