Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Burner Build Thread

164K views 666 replies 154 participants last post by  6thElement 
#1 · (Edited)
Just got my production Burner frame so thought I better start off first.

The drivetrain will be coming out of my parts bin, I want to see how I like the gearing on 650b before making any changes.

Rider: 6'2", 175lb

Frame Size & Color: XL Rawwwww
Rear Shock: Fox CTD, Kashima
Fork: Fox 34 Float black 150mm
Brakes: Avid Elixir CR Mag
Shifter: SRAM X.0 grip
Cranks: Shimano XTR Triple
Chainguide: None
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9 medium
Pedals: Shimano XTR
Stem: Easton Haven 55mm
Handlebar: Bontrager X Lite flat
Seatpost: KS Lev 100mm drop
Saddle: Specialized Phenom
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XTR
Chainring: 22-32-bash
Cassette: Shimano XTR, 11-34
Headset: Cane Creek 40
Grips: Oury
Front Tire: Schwalbe Hans Dampf, 2.35
Front Rim: Stan's Arch EX
Front Hub: Hope black 32H, 15QR
Rear Tire: Maxxis Ardent 2.25
Rear Rim: Stan's Arch EX
Rear Hub: Hope black 32H, 142X12

Weight 7.38lb for the frame, shock, seatpost clamp and rear axle.
Build weight is just over 29lb
Wheelbase is 47"
BB height is 13.25"

See less See more
#24 ·
Was sure I'd answered your Moab question with a negative :???:
I was there in late 2011, so doubtful for this year.

Longest ride yet on the Burner today, 30 miles of fun in the cold and snow. I'm loving the ability of this bike, going up and coming down. I'm clearing technical climbs that I struggled or couldn't make before and heading downhill is just point and shoot.

A few snaps from the day

Out on the monster trail at Blue Mountain, Peekskill, NY.

My occasional audience

The odd icy patch

I'll be dammed

#166 ·
Still enjoying the heck out of my Burner, and have not been back on 26's since getting it, but will do some comparisons as we will soon have a dw spot and 08 rfx is coming back from fresh paint. My Burner is filling my RFXing void well with the High Roller 2's and I'm running a 10 year old Vanilla RC rear shock now that feels great. To verify my radness, here is the obligatory skidding at the camera video.

#216 ·
Agree'd, I'm a narrower bar kinda guy even though I've felt the positive results from wider bar. Here in Hawaii we have many, many very tight jungle'd areas. Over the years I've learned how to keep the bike stable with the narrower bars (climbing and descending).

#466 ·
Interesting reading about the differences in shock set up, and supports how I have been responding to riders asking for Inline set up. I have no idea how your shock / fork /tires should be set up. The 'baseline' tunes are completely irrelevant from us to you as we have no idea where you ride, how you ride, how fast you ride, how much you weight and drum roll...................... what your perception of a 'good' feeling suspension is.

As usual with ALL suspension set up, fork and shock tuning starts with sag, done when all settings are WIDE open. Then I just bounce around the driveway dialing rebound and when it is not pogo like, it's off to the dirt. Starting in the middle for me is too 'fing tedious, going wide open then clicking in only 1 adjuster at a time and noting it with the CC note pad or I would forget. I like the suspension to be light and nimble for maximum enduroability. If the 'spenders are too dopey it makes the bike feel "heavy" to me.

DT

#467 ·
Interesting reading about the differences in shock set up, and supports how I have been responding to riders asking for Inline set up. I have no idea how your shock / fork /tires should be set up. The 'baseline' tunes are completely irrelevant from us to you as we have no idea where you ride, how you ride, how fast you ride, how much you weight and drum roll...................... what your perception of a 'good' feeling suspension is.

As usual with ALL suspension set up, fork and shock tuning starts with sag, done when all settings are WIDE open. Then I just bounce around the driveway dialing rebound and when it is not pogo like, it's off to the dirt. Starting in the middle for me is too 'fing tedious, going wide open then clicking in only 1 adjuster at a time and noting it with the CC note pad or I would forget. I like the suspension to be light and nimble for maximum enduroability. If the 'spenders are too dopey it makes the bike feel "heavy" to me.

DT
Thanks for the input Dave that's fantastic! I, like you, dislike heavy feeling bikes and enjoy that pop that can be achieved in tuning the shock on my Burner, that can't be found on some other suspension platforms. :)

#468 ·
I did have to send my shock back to Cane Creek because it apparently was not filled properly with oil. It'll be interesting to see what the setup turns out to be compared to yours on my Burner after I get it back.

On another note, does the Burner 3.1 have the same geo as the 3.0 version...chain stays the same length? That is one HUGE difference between my old Spot and the Burner. Would be cool if a slightly shorter rear end could be retrofitted. I'd snap one up in a second.

#617 · (Edited)
Burner still going strong..

Some changes since last post:
-Chromag seat
-35mm Easton Havoc stem
-Vorsprung Corset Can
-RWC needle bearing kit
-Offset eyelet lower pin
-MRP chain guide
-Some new decal bling

Haven't had a chance to ride trail with the RWC needle bearing kit(due to winter/snow) but just rolling around the street and going down some stairs combined with the Vorsprung Can, it feels way better then the old stock fox can with bushing setup.

don't forget to ride... :thumbsup:

#3 ·
I believe (unless I missed it) that this is the first PRODUCTION Burner frame I've seen posted-looks great! I've been picking up parts all winter to add to the stuff I already have and I'm about ready to order a frame. I'll be really interested in your impressions of this bike...Congrats!

#7 ·
OP updated with the build complete, still working on handlebar height etc. hence the donut holder. Bar drop isn't as bad as the photos make it look, but it is nearly an inch more than I've been running on my 29ers.

Weather isn't cooperating for a proper test this weekend...

#15 ·
i like it. i like it lot. i'm very curious about the seemingly long wheelbase - 47 in for a 150mm bike - especially for you at 6 ft 2 in - how is the burner gonna climb? aren't you going to be super streched out to get weight over both wheels? did you have a tough call between large and XL? looking forward to your reviews and enjoy that bike!

#16 ·
After finally getting out on mine today after looking at it shiney new for a couple of weeks waiting for the weather to break I can confirm something.

I've bought an assault weapon.

The frame combined with the Fox 34 gives so much confidence, at speed through baby heads, or off drops I was loving it. Coming off several years only riding XC on 29ers I didn't notice any dimished rollover ability with this setup. The slacker headangle will take some getting used to on the steeper switchback climbs. But it gives sooooo much confidence pointed downhill and allowed me to hit a couple of drops I'd always skipped on previous bikes.

#17 ·
Have you ridden a Sultan? I am curious in how it rides compared to a Sultan. I like the Sultan's ability to monster truck over obstacles, but I think I would like a bike that is more playful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.