mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Burner as an all-rounder?

I've only spent a little demo time on the Burner, and was hoping to get some opinions from you lucky ones out there who own one.

I'm interested in the Burner as a choice for a good all-around bike. My typical ride is a mix of tight rocky singletrack and smooth fireroad, with a decent amount of steep climbing and chunky downhill. Basically a pretty equal mix of XC, trail and AM all in the same ride.

I ride hard, but not super-aggressive. My weekend ride is usually 20 to 25 miles, so it's a good 3 hours in the saddle. I'm looking for something that smooths out the bumps better than my current FS 26", and that will be comfortable for that amount of time and in that terrain. I have chronic disk problems in my back and want something that's going to be a little more plush.

I'm sure that the bike is far more equipped than my skills will allow, but just want to make sure it's not overkill for what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for the input!

MK_
    carpe maņana
    It sounds like your wheels stay close to the ground. As such, Burner would be great. The only advantage of bigger travel would be if you liked to get airborne off bigger stuff.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

jrm
    mtbr member
    You mentioned that you have ridden a burner before and liked it a lot. i say for it. You can always tweak things here and there to fit your niche. Who knows maybe youll find yourself pushing yourself a bit more.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

Wicketed
    It's only overkill if you think it is, doesn't matter what other people are riding on the same trails, the only opinion that matters is yours I'd say.

I found the Burner to be so composed I'd have it as my only bike (I demo'd over 2 days) if I didn't race xc. If you've got chronic back problems I'd prioritise good suspension travel over possible perceptions of it being overkill, you never know when that extra inch of travel is going to save you from getting jarred by a drop or mis-timed compression bump. And it pedals so well you don't lose much in the way of efficiency over a 120mm bike. DO IT :-)
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I been using my burner for everything from quick green way spins after work to social group rides to gnarly all mountain rides to downhill runs at beech mountain in NC this past weekend. Not saying it can double as DH bike but me an the burner are both still in one piece and now I feel like I can ride the thing to hell and back. The bike does it all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    OP here. Thanks a lot for the replies. It sounds like a really versatile machine, and I'm looking forward to getting mine!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Re: Burner as a all-rounder?

Of course as soon as I say that, DT introduces the 650b Flux. That's probably more my style of riding, but the extra 3/4 inch of travel is probably better on my back. Will have to demo it.
    Last edited by moldau94; 06-20-2013 at 11:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Moldy, the Flux is only a better 'all rounder' than the Burner if you want to race occasionally as it feels much lighter and with the steeper HA 'quicker'. You also have a back issue, so travel wins EVERY time, even though I am not a doctor, I am certain discs don't heal so slow the degen and ride more travel. ET and I were discussing the differences between new Flux and Burner with press the last few days and the consensus is that it is better to 'down build' a Burner lighter than to saddle a Flux with heavier tires/wheels/fork for an upbuild. Upbuilding always feels wonky, downbuilding will just feel more fasterer.

destination unknown
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Moldy, the Flux is only a better 'all rounder' than the Burner if you want to race occasionally as it feels much lighter and with the steeper HA 'quicker'. You also have a back issue, so travel wins EVERY time, even though I am not a doctor, I am certain discs don't heal so slow the degen and ride more travel. ET and I were discussing the differences between new Flux and Burner with press the last few days and the consensus is that it is better to 'down build' a Burner lighter than to saddle a Flux with heavier tires/wheels/fork for an upbuild. Upbuilding always feels wonky, downbuilding will just feel more fasterer.
    Good advice given here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    What's the geometry with 26" wheels and a -2deg headset installed?
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    OP here -- thanks a lot for the feedback. I guess you guys would know best!!