mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Burner 3.1v for larger rider?

Im 6'1" and 275. I ride in michigan, but will be headed to man great trails throughout US. So I need some travel.

at 275, is the 140mm of the new burner too plush?

Im thinking the Burner would be great, but is the Flux a better option for my weight?

Thanks, need to buy asap!

mtbr member
    The Burner is plush but VERY efficient, you certainly don't feel your energy being sapped away at all. For reference I am 5ft 11 and 210lbs, I have a Cane Creek Inline on my Burner v3.1 and it can basically be set up as plus or as taught as you want it to be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thank you! for climbing, is it as good as the Flux? appreciate the feedback

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bearded243 View Post
    No problem! I've not actually ridden a new Flux as yet, the Flux is lighter, has steeper geometry and has less travel so will climb a little better, however the Burner climbs better than a 140mm trail/AM/Enduro or whatever else you want to call it bike should.

I came from a Yeti SB95c and that thing climbed well but the Burner definitely has it licked so I don't think it would leave you wanting at all.

~~~~~~~~
    I would call Turner about this. At your weight the rear shock air pressures required may be an issue.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck View Post
    I would call Turner about this. At your weight the rear shock air pressures required may be an issue.
    No they won't. I weigh a little more and they will work just fine. I would stick with the Fox options though. Small volume can and the large volume reducer should do it.

~~~~~~~~
    My bad. Thought I had read a discussion regarding what the maximum pressures air shocks can handle before the seals give...

mtbr member
    I would go with a Burner over a Flux for the simple reason that the Burner is built with a stouter tube set. The frame is a pound heavier, but as Just J said the frames are so efficient that you would be hard pressed to noticed the extra frame weight.

As for climbing, by Burner climbs better than my old DW 5 Spot. Longer chain stays help, but the bike also seems to be more efficient. That is even with bigger, wider (2.4") tires.

mtbr member
    Could a coil shock be an option for the heavier riders getting who are pushing the limits for an air shock?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Could a coil shock be an option for the heavier riders getting who are pushing the limits for an air shock?
    That is the last resort option. But coils of the proper rate are difficult to source.
    The ultimate would be an 11-6 Push shock with a switch for a climbing valve and DH valve . But Push isn't working on a Burner shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bearded243 View Post
    I am a long time Sultan owner and impulse bought a Burner this week. The Burner climbs just as well as a my Sultan does. Might even keep the front end planted a tiny bit better (160 Fox, and CTD set at 210, my weight is 250lbs).

I am puzzled by how much I like the Burner. It will likely replace my Sultan as the bike between my DHR and Czar.

The Burner will ride up anything that the Czar can, it just does it slower.