Thread: Burner = plush?

Baby Bear is in the house

Burner = plush?

I know it doesn't compare to the 5 Spot, but for what little [by today's standards] travel it has, can the Burner be considered "plush" suspension considering it has an air shock?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rigel
    I know it doesn't compare to the 5 Spot, but for what little [by today's standards] travel it has, can the Burner be considered "plush" suspension considering it has an air shock?
    I think you'll find that the Burner makes the best use of the travel that it has. I just put an AVA sleave on my Float R and I can really dial the bike in to be plush (relatively) or snappy. The design of the Burner allows it to spend a lot of time in the middle of it's travel, where it does the most good, rather than topping out or being too stiff like some other designs.

I had an XCE with the air shock and fox coil, and to be honest I don't notice the difference between 3.5" and 4" of travel. Granted, the 5 Spot is going to be a lot plusher than the Burner, but for XC riding, and an occasional race, the Burner suits me very well.

mtbr member

New question here. how do the two match up?

Quote Originally Posted by steve3
    I like to ride mine stiff, but I agree with jjcarr. It does make the most use of its travel and even with the high pressures (low sag) I run, I can still get near full travel. Setting these things up is great. You don't have the razor thin line of where the shock is harsh or where it's too soft.
    Hey steve3, i was wondering if you could give a comparison of your burner over your xce. i tried a 5 spot and think it's too much bike for me being a light rider and for cost purposes. i am now looking at the burner for $950 with the swinger vs. and xce with swinger or similare air. how stiff is the burner vs. xce and how much travel would i really miss? i'm on the verge and want to take advantage to the supergo deal if i can. thanks for your feedback.

P.S. can I use the burner or xce for commutting purposes or are they strictly trail orientated.
    It's all cycle-logical to me.

mtbr member

New question here. thanks for the info

hey steve3 thanks for your feedback. sorry about the assumption on the xce. when I said commuting i meant something versatile. the burner seems a little more orientated for xc and trail and since i don't have the good fortune of owning every turner i need something (living in boston) that can get me to the trails and serve as an all-purpose ride. when i tried the 5-spot, i felt it was strictly a trail bike and wouldn't serve well as an all around get me there type. i did like the geometry though, but am looking for something lighter and thought the burner would suffice with the 4" rockers. i like to do some local trails and park riding with my girlfriend, and then have something that wouldn't suck for the trails.i demoed a mountain cycles slix and wasn't that pleased with the ride. BTW, is there a lockout shock option for the burner and is supergo sending them with the 4" rockers or do i have to go somewhere else?

mtbr member

just one more thing

I also noticed on a previous thread that you demoed a yeti 575 which i am also considering, based on tscheezy's review and price too, what your thoughts are. i know you weren't too sure of the 5th elements reliability, but i did like the feel of it on the blur i demoed. Ah decisions, decisions. Basically i want something light and quick handling, but need it for the light stuff in the city to get me to where i want to go. is the yeti overkill, or was the pedaling not that great? thanks again steve3 for your advice. there's a lot of money involved here and i don't want to get stuck with something i don't like and then have to sell. so goes it