Thread: Build thoughts!

locked - time out
    Jan 2007

Build thoughts!

This is what I am looking at. Please advise on what I have listen and give feedback

Frame 2010 Turner 5 Spot (charcoal grey)
    Fox Talas RL SWITCHED TO REVELATION 150 20mm
    Trutativ Stylo OCT
    Avid Elixir CR Disc brakes SWITCHED TO FORMULA RX BRAKES
    Sram x.9 Shifters
    Chris King iso hubs
    ZTR Flow rims
    King nothread headset
    thompson seat post
    FSA xc handlebar SWITCHED TO A 28INCH
    thompson x4 stem
    Maxxis high rollers for tires
    Last edited by jkkfam89; 04-20-2010 at 04:50 AM.

mtbr member
    All looks like great stuff. I personally like 28" wide bars on my trail bikes. How wide are the FSA xc bars?
    Scott @ GO-RIDE.com
    Turner DHR
    Pivot Mach 6
    Giant Anthem 27.5
    Salsa Bear Grease C
    Lil Shredder 20" - son's

mtbr member
    Frame 2010 Turner 5 Spot (charcoal grey)--Excellent choice! Have read nothing but good things about these frames. I have a 08 Sultan myself but if I could have a Spot too I definitely would.

Fox Talas RL--Fox makes good forks but I would go with Rock Shox. I had an 09 Rev w/20mm thru axle on my 08 Spot that I just sold and it was a great fork. I would go with a 150mm Rev w/20mm thru axle.

Trutativ Stylo OCT--Solid for the money.

Avid Elixir CR Disc brakes--I am wanting to upgrade to these. Have Juicy 7's and 5's. You can't beat the price you pay for Avids versus Magura, Formula, etc.

Sram x.9 Shifters--These are what I use on both of my bikes. Solid performance for a good price.

Chris King iso hubs--Never had Kings. Just ordered a set of Flow 29 with Hadley hubs from Larry @ Mtn High Cyclery. From what I have read Hadley hubs are a little cheaper with performance on par with Kings.

ZTR Flow rims--Read a lot of good things about these rims. I have Arch 29 rims with Hope Hubs on my other rig and they have held up great for the last 2 years. I used them on a 29er SS and will put them on a Ventana El Padrino when it arrives. And I weigh 205 without gear. So I would imagine that the flows are very solid.

King nothread headset--Can't go wrong with this. I like the Cane Creek S-3. Doesn't have near the bling factor but it does the job and you save a lot of cash.

thompson seat post--If you got the money I would get a Gravity Dropper turbo. I have one and it has been awesome!!! I have performed zero maintenance on it since owning it (Had it for about a year and a half) and it just performs. I used it in a very wet and muddy environment and that did not affect it all.

FSA xc handlebar--I would go with something a bit wider. I like the Easton EA70 aluminum bars. Uncut it is right around 27 inches which is plenty for me. And you can find them on the internet for like $50.

thompson x4 stem--Use these on all of my rides. Superb quality.

Those are my .02! Take it for what it is worth! Which ain't much...

Thanks
    Ben

locked - time out
    Jan 2007
    Great feedback so far.. You're right, need to get 27 or 28 inch bars.
    Last edited by jkkfam89; 04-17-2010 at 01:46 PM.

mtbr member
    I would go with a 150mm travel Rev with maxle or a fox 36. 15mm Fox thru axle thingie is just daft. The 5 spot begs for a mininum of a 150mm fork IMHO and RS Maxle is the best thing since sliced bread.

Too easily annoyed.
    Like everyone else is saying, consider the 150mm Revelation, with 20mm axle.

Avids Elixir's are fine, but I would definitely consider Shimano XT or Formulas.

Cane Creek makes a good headset for the money.

FSA Gravity Lights are a good bar, as well as Easton EA70.

Check out the 5-Spot build page, and you'll no doubt see some patterns. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jkkfam89
    This is what I am looking at. Please advise on what I have listen and give feedback

Fox Talas RL
    Trutativ Stylo OCT
    Avid Elixir CR Disc brakes
    Sram x.9 Shifters
    Chris King iso hubs
    ZTR Flow rims
    King nothread headset
    thompson seat post
    FSA xc handlebar
    thompson x4 stem

Moosehead
    i want one of those

+1 on the 28"+ bars and 150 fork. if you want to stick with talas, you can spec the 150 version

trail fairy
    Build thoughts!

Fox Talas RL
    Trutativ Stylo OCT
    Avid Elixir CR Disc brakes
    Sram x.9 Shifters
    Chris King iso hubs
    ZTR Flow rims
    King nothread headset
    thompson seat post
    FSA xc handlebar
    thompson x4 stem
    Check ya frame size and choose wisely
    What they said on fork Rev 150mm 20mm is only way to go!

Save ya money o the CRs get the Rs only thing ya missing is carbon levers and pad adj, not ness if well setup for price the performance is the same, run these on the DH bike incredible feel and power for function over bling.

Put the money into ya wheels, seatpost etc,

Same on CK headset imo save the $ get a Hope, better made won't creak or have potential too! and pt it elsewhere into the bike.

I could say the same with the hubs but wheels is a very personalthing, I prefer Hadley's too, Ive owned both, [King shubs for a Spot though are sweet]

Like others have reiterated def a wider bar not gonna rec one as so many good options its personal.

Thomson for post and stem, elite X4 sweet.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

locked - time out
    Jan 2007
    Alright, switched to a 28 in bar. Also got the 150 revelation with 20mm threw

locked - time out
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott@GO-RIDE.com
    All looks like great stuff. I personally like 28" wide bars on my trail bikes. How wide are the FSA xc bars?
    The fsa are 26inches, I am switching to 28"

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    The cane creek 110 headset is a far superior headset IMHO Any headset with a compression ring is better for that matter I also prefer Hadley hubs but the kings are very solid Other than that looks like a sweet build

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by big JC
    The cane creek 110 headset is a far superior headset IMHO Any headset with a compression ring is better for that matter I also prefer Hadley hubs but the kings are very solid Other than that looks like a sweet build
    Why I suggested Hope, pull one apart its awesome, 110 years

Who wants to live forever
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Cane Creek really stand behind their products too..I had an issue with my 110 - sent it in and a new one was in my hands in a couple of days...I had the dreaded CK creak on my 06 RFX and went Cane Creek Solos and 110s on my bikes after that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Save the Thompson seat post for another day, and get yourself a Gravity Dropper.

I looked at the Revelation, but I'm going with the Lyrik 2-Step.

Agree with the 110 comments.

Check out the Sunline 711 and 745s.

ZTR Flows look good, but don't forget to add tires to your list. UST selection limited unless your ghetto.

locked - time out
    Jan 2007
    GL5: I picked the Maxxis High rollers for tires

I also switched out the cr brakes with the formula Rx's (Or should I go The one FR)?

I will think on the gravity dropper. Leaning towards NO though. Looking at the reviews and being 245, it sounds like it would match up well with me.
    Last edited by jkkfam89; 04-20-2010 at 05:12 AM.

mtbr member
    look at formula megas or k24s

locked - time out
    Jan 2007
    I will looik at the megas, but they dont make the k24's anymore

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I would get shimano SLX cranks, better deal for the money methinks

locked - time out
    Jan 2007
    Man-o-Man. With the build as it sites, I am hitting $6100 with the tax. Wowza, I was hopeing for the $5200-$5500 range. I don't even think I have a Great build? Am I doing something wrong here?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jkkfam89
    Man-o-Man. With the build as it sites, I am hitting $6100 with the tax. Wowza, I was hopeing for the $5200-$5500 range. I don't even think I have a Great build? Am I doing something wrong here?

All the more reason to pick custom colors for everything you buy and remember that $6100.00 divided by 365 days equals $16.70 a day.

locked - time out
    Jan 2007
    Nice! Maybe I will get a free sticker too!

mtbr member
    are you in he US? you could send Chad at Redbarn and Dave at Redstone your build kit incl frame and have them price it up for you. Both will do the build too and both are top blokes. $6100 sounds like too much. You can definitely save some coin by going Pro II versus CK hubs. Everyone here is always going on about engagement but they must dab too much because when you are pedaling it don't matter!