AOK
    mtbr member

Breaking in the new Sultan

I was finally able to take the new Sultan out for a real ride today. I didn't make it out before things starting thawing, so it was a very sloppy ride. I am glad I live in a relatively dry climate and don't have to deal with muck like this on a regular basis.

I am really impressed with the DW suspension so far. The Sultan climbs as well as any bike I have had, doesn't bob at all when I am pedaling, and yet is still plush and responsive. It's kind of like combining my old Racer-X/Asylum with my Ventana El Cap. Not a bad combo. The frame is as stiff as any of the Ventanas I have owned, which is a very good thing.

Unfortunately, I did too good of a job "breaking" it in... about 2-3 miles from the end of my ride I managed to snap off my derailleur with a stick. First time in 12+ years of riding that I have managed to do that.

Some post-ride pics - dirty with derailleur hanging, then cleaned up after a derallieurectomy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Another one bites the dust…or mud!

The orange looks great but how can you ride with the brake levers at that angle? You must have fingers like tripods…

mtbr member
    Sorry about the mechanical failure. Looks like there is alot of seatpost exposed, might just be me.
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member
    Looks like a fun bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Sweet bike! Aluminum X9 rear der will tolerate a lot more stick trauma than the carbon fiber X0, IME.
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK
    II am really impressed with the DW suspension so far. The Sultan climbs as well as any bike I have had, doesn't bob at all when I am pedaling, and yet is still plush and responsive. It's kind of like combining my old Racer-X/Asylum with my Ventana El Cap. Not a bad combo. The frame is as stiff as any of the Ventanas I have owned, which is a very good thing.

Great to hear.........glad to see you got your new Sultan (looks great ) !

My frame arrived to Loveland, Co...............Larry sent me a preview picture ( can't wait to get it ) !

TIG.
    Last edited by TIGMAN; 05-26-2011 at 08:32 PM.
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja

I love to ride MTB
    sweet

AOK
    mtbr member
    That is everyone's favorite rock!

TIG - Glad to see that yours is on the way. Mine was a long wait, but very worth it.

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK
    That is everyone's favorite rock!

Yeah , no doubt..........I think my Knolly was photoed on that rock as well ! TIG.
    " A way to a deep freedom " - Tarja

Moosehead
    blood out of a stone. gotta make the pilgrimage to loveland.

Feeding your addiction
    The bike looks great Andy, really turned out nice! Glad to hear you're liking it so far.
    Let me know if you need some more der. hangers.

One more rock pick from this week, just for good measure.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry