Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nicole? Papa?

Is it a brand cache thing?

One thing I've noticed about many of you on the Turner board, is that there is a lot of recommending Hope stuff - hubs and QR collars.

Here in the UK (the home of Hope) most of us 'like' Hope - they make good kit and there QR collars are on many bikes, but perhaps it's because the stuff is so common over here that no one really 'lusts' after it.

Now Salsa for example, that is a cache brand over here, and people drool over their qr collars (I have one going on my new Spot build) far more so that Hope.

Just find this an interesting observation, is all.

(BTW, I caveat this buy saying that my fave hubs are Pro IIs!)

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Now explain your collective fascination with Marin bikes (which I happen to like), but are nearly a rarity her in the US, despite their HQ being located right in the shadow of Mount Tam!
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Nicole? Papa?
    Nate, when you say 'your collective facination' do you me folk from Scotland/UK?

If so, I wasn't aware that there was a 'particular' facination.

As I understand it, with the exception of the current range of Quad Link bikes - which are being well received over here at the moment - most folk I know haven't really rated them. Don't think I've ever seen a single one in the flesh on my trails.

Nicole? Papa?
    BTW, you haven't given me your views on my point ;-)

I think your observations are spot on, and prove that "value" is often inversely related to availability.

And yeah, I occasionally pick up UK mags and the Marin brand seems to have a certain cache "over there," where it is largely unheard of or hard to find over here -- not many Marin dealers here in the San Francisco area, certainly not many out on the trails. And this goes back a number of years, to Marin's single pivot days.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Nicole? Papa?
    Cheers, Nate.

And thanks again for all your help with drilling out my cable stops. Had it not been for your excellent step by step guide, I'd never even have attempted it!

banned
    Yeah, I can't get a UK mag without seeing a Whyte or a Marin in there, or hearing talk of their shielded bearings and shock designs.

As far as Hope goes, I use their brakes, hubs, and qr seat collars. Someone sent me a pm some months ago needing help, with the idiotic opening line "I know you love everything and anything Hope, so I figured I'd ask you". The grammar and spelling was straight out of the DH/FR forum. I never responded to him, but it is true I merely like a certain few of their parts, as they happened to be good choices. Some stuff of theirs I don't care for, such as wheel QR's that like to loosen. Their brakes are excellent, modulate well, and are easy to work on. Hope's US service was described in the past by me as "near Turner-like". If I swap out my King, it will be a CC110 or a Hope.

So both our bikes aren't "Hope'd" out, but all the brakes and three out of six wheels are Hope hub equipped.

I don't care for the Salsa seat qr because of the lever length.

Ultimate Poseur
    Having owned both Salsa wheel QRs and Hope QRs...the Hopes are nicer.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Now explain your collective fascination with Marin bikes (which I happen to like), but are nearly a rarity her in the US, despite their HQ being located right in the shadow of Mount Tam!
    Hey Nate, I see more than a few Marin bikes on the trails here, not as many as SC or Speccy, but still a few. In Marin, anyway.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

Nicole? Papa?
    Moff, I too have owned both and that's a matter of opinion ;-)

Lay off the Levers

Performance has nothing to do with it

I'd thought the answer would be obvious, Hope makes more matching colors than Salsa.
    This is the Turner forum after all.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Yay! Bikes !
    Hope really does make a better seatpost q/r then anyone else.
    I never cared for their brakes.

I think it's also a matter of having something 'different' then other riders sometimes.
    Nick.

Bodhisattva
    Is it true that Huffy is ultra-exclusive in the UK ?
    Life....the original terminal illness

Lay off the Levers
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    If so I'm headed over to WalMart at lunch.
    EBAY here I come!

trail fairy
    Um used both?

Ok will play, first my observation of what works around here, this place usually has found what works and what dosen't there's allot of knowledge and experience with bikes and products!

Its easy to just label people as bling merchants without spending sometime around this place getting to know personalities and veiwing the data base's, lots of effort has gone into. much helpful advice has been given out o all over the years!

Not saying ya poking I just want to point that out, for others as well look deeper there's core reasosn why people use certain stuff allot around here, and yes theres some bling a ling factor, thats everywhere, no worse here actually, only cause its such a big and viewed forum is it so obvious.

Now to the products in question! Salsa, Hope!

I use Hope for these reasons, the Cam is smoother easier to apply yet has good tension, I only have seat QRs now as all my hubs are 10mm BTs.

The seat clamp is way easier to use better shaped lever [for me anyway] to open and shut, when run correctly it gives clearance at full compression from the rear stays! Easier to adjust than the Salsa which require an allen key, Hope has a finger adjuster! I have had 2 split Salsa QRs at the clamp by the allen key no such thing with Hope.

Pretty much sums it up for me, as BZ says colors are nicer, but I usually get black so its not a biggie, Saasa QRs for rear usually if run Disc side take you hand very close to the rotor or frame making hard to get leveage to undo, something I found when running them years ago, I like allot of tension, now I have 10mm BTs I have no issues there.

So Hope for me there, re there Disc brakes, blingy beautifully machined, but I will likey never have a set again! Other brakes are too good for the $$ performance wise and there brakes have never performned as good for me!

I've had mono 4s pre 07s, I have had a set of the new models M4 / M6 183m /203mm combo, & both sets with braided hoses, never come close to the performance of my Maggies, both sets re-bleed by LBS not bad just not good enough in face of Formula or Magura! and I will likley stick with Magura since 08s have improved astetics, fit, perfromance, bleeding et again.

My thoughts, which work for me.
    Chur
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It's kind of like beer in Mexico. I have an old, non-digi pic of a sign at a roadside beer store in Baja with Budweiser being the most expensive. Go figure!

1. Be from somewhere else, preferably far, far away.

2. Charge a lot.

3. Always arrive by plane.

Oh wait a second. Those are the keys to being a successful consultant. But they sure seem to apply to a lot of other things (except maybe the plane part).
    The drive towards achievement and success is the motive power of civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    Just saying that if, say, Avid Juicys were hard to come by in the UK (I don't think they are), they might be looked at as a higher-end brake, as compared to their "everyday brake" status here in the states.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Amphibious Technologies
    Not for me. I like the Hope seat QR as you can rotate the lever to prevent the rockers from hitting it at bottom out. I prefer the Salsa hub QR over the Hopes.
    Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 05-14-2008 at 09:23 AM.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Lay off the Levers
    Hopes aren't without their issues, at least for me. If I don't grease the cam frequently, it binds and it looses it's gripping force. I can set all the tension I can manage on the cam and it still won't hold well. A dab of grease on the cam and the seat and it's plenty powerful.

Salsas QRs do sit too close to the frame and rotors for my big hands to get under. But I like their machining and depth of ano a lot.

mtbr member
    From my experience: Salsa sucks, Hope rules!
    DKG sucks a bit less than Salsa cuz it's the original design, but as far as the function it still sucks big time - once there's something between the cam and collar it scratches the finish and you can say bye to a smooth movement.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    first my observation of what works around here, this place usually has found what works and what dosen't there's allot of knowledge and experience with bikes and products!

Its easy to just label people as bling merchants without spending sometime around this place getting to know personalities and veiwing the data base's, lots of effort has gone into. much helpful advice has been given out over the years!

I just want to point that out, for others as well look deeper there's core reasosn why people use certain stuff allot around here, and yes theres some bling a ling factor, thats everywhere, no worse here actually, only cause its such a big and viewed forum is it so obvious.
    well put. ive had my issues with hope usa's cs but i hear thats fixed. i can tell ya my hope seat qr works perfectly and thats cool cuz at the time, i didnt have a choice. now that i run a amp post, youll find a salsa lip lock back on the rfx. the hope and salsa flip off are both in a box of spare qr's. the stinger and my merckx both run salsa wheel qr's and the burner did untill the rear snapped but i think that was my fault.

overall, the hope stuff doesnt impress me much but that may be the bad taste left in my mouth talkin. i reccomend the seat qr on med or smaller turners cuz thats all ya get thats compatable. ya wont see me pushin the rest on folks. salsa bits are semi local, a fast ship, inexpensive and dependable.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    I am running a mix of Hope and Salsa seat collars on my Turners. The big reason I went with Hope on my RFX and Sultan is that I have small divots in the seatstay bridge where it hits the Salsa lever at full travel. I am still running the Salsa on my Flux because that's a non problem. They both work equally well for me. The biggest factor on any future build (besides the SS clearance) would be what color I wanted. Since QBP bought Salsa way back when, the color choices have been dwindling.

And I do have a set of Pro II hubs on my RFX and they seem to work well (if a bit loud).

TLL
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    now that i run a amp post, youll find a salsa lip lock back on the rfx. the hope and salsa flip off are both in a box of spare qr's. the stinger and my merckx both run salsa wheel qr's and the burner did untill the rear snapped but i think that was my fault.
    REAL men run Surly Constrictors.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    REAL men run Surly Constrictors.
    SNT
    Show n Tell
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

... I guess you won't be
    Just for the record, I hate the Hope seatpost QR lever....it hurts your hand to use - it's a dumb stick w/ a ball on the end, very uninspired and un-ergonomic....even my Hope seatpost Qr equipped buddy agrees, but he's too lazy to change it out for a comfy one - he only got it cuz it looked "cool".

I much prefer my Salsa.....they actually thought about the design of the lever just a tiny bit, eh?

My GF does love her 1st gen. Hope Mini's....still goin' strong!
    Yes, we do indeed rock...http://www.myspace.com/spokedrunkies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast