Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bikes are good

Brakes on your Spots??

This has probably been beaten to death, but I can't find it. I'm thinking of upgrading from mechanicals on my 5 spot to Hydraulics. The mechanicals work pretty well, as far as I can tell. My question: Is it worth 300+ for the upgrade? If so, what's a good hydraulic brake these days? Avid Juicy 7, something else? Thanks.

Also, would 5.5 rockers goof my bike up if I change nothing else? I'm running a 5 inch fork.

banned
    "a 5" fork" is really ambiguous. You might want to include all the info about the forks because they are not all the same length, even if the travelmight be the same. Also, rounding from millimeters to inches doesn't always produce the correct numbers. We need to get all the info to give you the info you want back in return.

As far as brakes, I will chime in. First, I think you again omitted what brand of mechanicals you're using. I'll assume Avid? What model? In any event, you'll find Avid mechs on $500 bikes to $5000 bikes with hand selected parts. It's because they simply work. They are heavy and powerful. They are the option for those scared of hydraulic. What the disadvantage for some is the uneven pad wear because only one pad moves, then flexes the rotor over into the other. Some don't like the modulation, either. For some, the power advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

The simple thing is you have to know what the shortcomings of your brakes are. Is it maintenance? Feel? Reliability, power, modulation? Weight? Then you go from there. You must also clearly state what type of riding you do HONESTLY, along with your weight and terrain because there are so many brakes now that most riders can have precisely what they want, while others cover a range at the expense of usually weight, while some extremely powerful stoppers don't work for lighter riders.

Bring us back some stats and I'm sure you'll get what you're looking for and more.

Surfin' da mountain
    I've been riding Hope Mini's since '03. When I replaced the 130mm fork on my 5 SPOT with a Talas, I replaced the front caliper with a Mono Mini to fit the new post mounts.

If I were looking at an entirely new set of brakes right now, the Hope V2 Moto would top the list.

I've ridden with mechanicals, mechanical/hydraulics (remember the Rockshox Disc brakes first made by AMP Research?), early Hayes, and now Hopes. "Stricktly opinion" but feel Hopes modulate better that any other brakes. The Mini's are not the most powerful, but you don't need power if you're in control. The Hope Moto's are reported to moduate as well as the Mini's but be a step more powerful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I have Juicy 7 on my spot, they are great and can be found in the $130 range. My Brother has the Hope V2 on his DH bike and they too are excellent, but I think they only come in 203mm.

Surfin' da mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime
    I have Juicy 7 on my spot, they are great and can be found in the $130 range. My Brother has the Hope V2 on his DH bike and they too are excellent, but I think they only come in 203mm.
    They make the backet to mount it to the rear tabs.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cucucachu
    I've been riding Hope Mini's since '03. When I replaced the 130mm fork on my 5 SPOT with a Talas, I replaced the front caliper with a Mono Mini to fit the new post mounts.

If I were looking at an entirely new set of brakes right now, the Hope V2 Moto would top the list.

I've ridden with mechanicals, mechanical/hydraulics (remember the Rockshox Disc brakes first made by AMP Research?), early Hayes, and now Hopes. "Stricktly opinion" but feel Hopes modulate better that any other brakes. The Mini's are not the most powerful, but you don't need power if you're in control. The Hope Moto's are reported to moduate as well as the Mini's but be a step more powerful.
    Several steps more powerful and modulation to match.

I feel all you're saying about Hopes. Did a short 200 meter climb and descent yesterday and it was pretty sketchy in some tame, but unpredictable coal mine territory. Was quite satisfied and glad in a couple places to have the control and power. My V2/M4 setup is perfect.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    the more i work with em, the more i like the formulas. just mounted a set of k-10's on a pals new rig and its not a bad budget brake. the k-24's are the direction im leanin come upgrade time but the ones are callin my name.

itll all have to wait cuz i just got a ez up and 2 new king cobras.

if ya have bb-7s, did ya see this?

btw: big rockers/short fork is kinda silly but you knew that before askin... didnt ya?
    Last edited by cactuscorn; 06-20-2008 at 10:05 AM.
    No, I'm NOT back!

Bite Me.
    Formulas are great and can be had for a reasonable budget - super modulation, lots of power and simple to set up and work on. I've had 2 sets of K18s and am on Biancos now - absolutely no problems (except a bad bleed that was my screw up).
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Bikes are good

Stats

I'm 6'2 215 lbs and an aggressive trail rider. I live in AK. I do hike a bikes to ride steep lines and often push my bike above tree line to get to the hard rock and steeper stuff up high. I also ride a lot of XC and ride a couple races a year. I'm riding the Alta Rezia Freeride trip on my Spot in August which is what prompted the shopping for Hydraulics and the Rockers. I'm entirely happy on my bike with what it has, but it's fun to upgrade especially for a big trip. I rode at Whistler last summer (rented their downhill bikes that ran Hayes 9) and was really impressed with the stopping power of those hydraulics on some crazy steep stuff. Very cool.

I have Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes. I've always been pretty happy with them, and don't mind adjusting when necessary.

I have a Vanilla RL that I had Pushed to a Vanilla RLC.

It's a chunk of change to spend on the upgrades, but I don't want to regret not having done it when I'm in the Alps.

Thanks for your help.

Hike 'n Bike Nat'l Champ
    I was a Juicy 7 guy with a 180/160 combo, but went to Formula K24's and haven't looked back. Love 'em. If you want some Juicy 7's in great shape, PM me. They're just sitting on a shelf.

striker!
    I'm running Magura Marta SL's with 180mm rotors front and rear. Great brakes for the 5 spot. They are light and with 180's plenty powerful for a spot running 2.35 tires. I've done lift access with this setup at the local mountains. I didn't get any brake fade. I'm a buck seventy so you may want to go with the Louise depending on how hard you ride.

S

TLL
    mtbr member
    Word on the Formulas. Of all the brakes I have owned (XTR, XT, Louises) Formulas by far have the best stopping power and modulation. K-18s can be had for a reasonable price. I run 203/180 at a BWT of 250 (running MEGAs) and have loads of stopping power.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

I"m running good old 765 XT brakes

They are without a doubt the lowest hassle and best modulating brake I have tried yet. I have run just about all them except Formula. No rubbing, lots of modulaton, and easy to work on.

Jaybo

mtbr member
    k18s on my spot 185 f&r - way better than my 07 juicy 7s on my 29er

sorry ss but with yer skills, you only represent like .05% of the population. its like askin tiger what caddy to use on my weekend off. not that i play golf mind ya.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    I love these threads

Everyones gonna say Forumla's

Marta is a pretty sweet thing though shes quite slight I lie my girls a little more atheltic with some curves but would also be sweet on the Spot with the 180mm rotor up front! 2n what CC says SS has the skills his brakes are only for looks!

So I'm going with LOUISE! Magura Louise, shes changed her dresses every year and keeps getting hotter than a hot thing and this year shes sporting a sexy little number!

Even Sabby thinks theyre hot, optionally not in pink, but in black, silver or black n Silver! Stnadard rotors or Venti black or Red/Pink

Signinficanty better than 06s and 07s were a step up again and in 08 well near perfect, and imo they make the best rotors period in standard or venti and they don't ping like Hopes, I see Formula are doing a floating rotor like Hopes wonder if that will be quite?

With Louise ya could go 160/160 - 160/180 or 180/180, I'm no chicken wing and I run 160/180 and I can easily do nose wheelies, these brakes have ever let me down, they have a 5year leak proof warranty too!

Sabby and Louise umm like to see them get dirty together

CC ya traitor, Louise to K24s thats like swapping Rose for K9 aka Doctor Who
    Last edited by trailadvent; 06-21-2008 at 12:37 AM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Live to Ride.Ride to Live

Brakes

I started with a pair of juicys almost three years ago, after less than a year i dumped them for a pair of Magura Louise. The Louise are super brakes, lots of modulation and power.
    The juicys are binary, on or off, no modulation, get overheated in long runs and fade (at least that was with their 2005 and 2006 models, which i had).
    I'd like to meet the guy who invented beer and see what he's working on now.

not that i dont dig my maggies, i do. bleeding is a bit of a pain in the ass though.
    No, I'm NOT back!

what...?
    I've been using Hayes HFX9's for a few years with no problems. I recently changed out the pads for Galfer Reds and got better performance.

I have not used any other brands so I have nothing to compare them to, but for my riding style and weight (slow techy stuff and 230 lbs RTR) they ALWAYS stop me when I need them to.
    Without love in a dream it will never come true

the thing about the 9's are they are cheap as all get out, bulletproof and simple to service but lack any noticeable modulation. they were the shyt back when the competition sucked balls but those days are long gone. if ya get a chance, try some of the newer stuff but make sure ya worked some ot that week to pay for the upgrade that will follow.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    not that i dont dig my maggies, i do. bleeding is a bit of a pain in the ass though.
    sorted for 08 model easy peasy

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

banned
    Yep, the H9's work, but they are at this point completely outclassed. There are many easier to work on, lighter, built better, and better modulating. They work, but manners aren't sometimes the best, either.

PSI
    I want that one

juicys are yuck!

Quote Originally Posted by Radius
    I started with a pair of juicys almost three years ago, after less than a year i dumped them for a pair of Magura Louise. The Louise are super brakes, lots of modulation and power.
    The juicys are binary, on or off, no modulation, get overheated in long runs and fade (at least that was with their 2005 and 2006 models, which i had).
    the dot bloated on all the juicys i had. the lever feel was forever mushy, the calipers too grabby and worse of all they suffer from terrible fade.

after switching all my bikes to magura or shimano i am a mineral oil junky. either Louise or 08 xt (which can be had for $200+ on ebay). both are excellent, the levers click back at you and modulation is great and because of the mineral oil they are very consistent and low maintenance. bleeding is a breeze (and you dont need the crazy juicy bleeding kit)

h9's may be best described as a light switch for a 5000w spot light. theyre either on or off without much middle ground. they also weigh as much as some small cars but ill be damned if they dont work all the time and theres somethin to be said for that.
    No, I'm NOT back!

trail fairy
    Just another note about maggis!

Seems like eveyone is copying there style!

Hayes followed up with the Stroker a dodgy name if ever there was one, can't give them away here!

Shimano have followed suit with there 08 models and new Saints!

Formula are going that route too with there new brake!

Hope and Avid at the mo seem to be staying with there tried and true setups cool, Avids new elixir sounds promising too, but I'll stick with Maggs just cause I have all the kit!

http://www.sicklines.com/2008/04/20/avid-elixir-2009/

Still interesting the others have followed them with there own touch

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast