mtbr member

Brake options for 2010 spot

So, I have been frustrated with my bike set up, particularly my formula r1/rx brakes, for a bit and I have a question as to what brakes people are using that work both with the turner frame and with grip shift xo 9 speed shifters.

I just decided I wanted to try a shimano brake and chose the 2013 slx with finned pads and with ice tec rotors and the first issue was that the caliper did not mate well with the rotor because it appears the post on the frame sits the caliper too high to grab the proper amount of rotor. This option will work but it seems brake power will be diminished because only part of the pad will contact the rotor. The second issue I encountered was at the leve, mounting them inboard of the sram xo shifter left the shimano levers so short that reaching the brake while holding the bar was impossible. Also, the levers contact the shifter even with minor grab. Clearly this issue would be the same across the shimano line and at this point seems that shimano brakes are not an option for me.

It look like the new magura mt's may work as the lever is designed simlar to the formula, but I am wondering how the reach is with sram xo and if I can run the 160mm rotor without a hitch on the rear. Anybody have this setup or others that work well?

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I've run 9 speed X.0 grip shifters with Elixir CR Mag's (same lever mount as X.0) for several years, currently running the same combo on my Burner with no problem, rear 160mm rotor.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

nocturnal oblivion
    What was the problem with the Formulas? I swapped my Elixir's for Formula RX and found that the minimum lever reach was still way too far, but there's a fix if that's the issue... just add threads to the lever reach screw (you need a metric die).
    I run standard SLX shifters inboard, not gripshifters, so no advice in that regard though.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe