mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Bought Another Flux/Ride/Turner Report

I've had my 06' Flux for almost 9 years now and hadn't been riding too often since I stopped desert racing a couple years ago. Decided to get the bike back on the trail, but had a slight problem with the rear shock. Called Turner and spoke with Jarrett. Since I'm fairly local he suggested I bring the bike up and they would check out the shock and if needed they had some take offs laying around. Sure enough, my shock was T.U. as it sucked down when the pressure was let out. They put a new/used shock on and I was good to go.

But wait! I asked what the new version of my bike was. They just happened to have an XL Flux demo available. They wheeled it over and I was impressed with how stout the bike looked compared to my 06'. They offered for me to take it with me for a few days. Oh no, I knew where this was going. I was planning on riding on my way home, so I couldn't take both bikes with me, as I didn't want to leave one in the truck while I rode. Leaving my bike there would mean that I had to take the new one back too, whew.

I hit up some of my favorite technical x-country trails on the way home at TW. The bike is amazing. The bike is amazing. The plushness, combined with the stiffness of the suspension is awesome. The bigger wheels and tires made a huge difference on the downhills. The 2x10 was geared just right for some of the steep, technical climbs (atleast to me). The bigger tires soak up quite a bit of climbing ruts and rocks as well. As I was climbing out of the bottom of TW, I remembered that Turner had to switch their welder a number of years ago. I started thinking this "new" version was probably made in China as a lot of other manufacturers have done over the years. I can't tell you how happy I was to get to the plateau and see the Made in the USA on the back of the downtube! These guys are awesome! I probably shouldn't wait two generations to get a new bike. I knew taking the bike back would really blow now. I had an ace in my pocket though.

I figured when I took the bike back that I would throw my old bike on the scale and see that it was atleast 2#'s lighter than the newer one. After all, adding bigger wheels, tires, suspension, etc. must've made this new version heavier. Most of my riding is for fitness or losing my lack of fitness, so keeping my old bike wouldn't be the end of the world, it's a great bike. Well, I brought the new one back and told them it was awesome, throw em both on the scale! Damn, my bike weighted exactly the same. To get so much more bike for the same weight, I'd be stupid to not pick up the new one. I told them I'd like to ride my old one one more time with the new shock, just in case. Haven't had a chance to ride it, but called them back and bought the new one. I have to go up this week and pick it up.

Couple things, the guys at Turner have taken care of me multiple times over the years with a broken frame repair and taking the time to work on my shock dealio. I own a small business myself and can appreciate good customer service and a great company. I haven't compared other brands that would rival the Turner Flux, really not concerned. My capabilities are so far exceeded by any bike, I'd rather spend my money at a company that takes care of its customers (I'm also doubting there is too many competitors for this particular bike).

So, to Dave, Jarrett, Greg, and a couple other guys in the back, I'm stoked, see you this week with some $$$$$. Here's a pic of the new ride at TW.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bought Another Flux/Ride/Turner Report-img_2221.jpg  

15' Turner Flux
    06' Turner Flux
    00' GT Zaskar X
    94' Bridgestone MB "S"

www.2wheelsflyin.tumblr.com

mtbr member
    Must be nice to live so close to turner hq. Ummm... wait a minute. I couldn't afford it. : o

Enjoy your new flux! Looks like a stellar rig.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You will love the new ride the more you ride it. I built up an ano blue over the winter. Went full XT, 2X10, Spank rims with Project 321 hubs, X-Fusion Sweep fork set at 140mm, King headset and bottom bracket, and a few other goodies. I'm coming from a 26 inch Rocky Mtn carbon Element, and the Flux definitely climbs better. Weight is right at 26#. More to lose if I go carbon with a few parts but for right now it is fine for me. Such a joy to ride.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    You will be chuffed to bits when you get the Flux. It's the best riding bike I've owned in number of years. The best upgrades I did for my Flux were a Pike 130 and an Avalanche tuned Fox. I am going to upgrade to the new XT group when it's available either a 2X 24/34 - 10-40T rear or a 1X 30T - 10-42T

mtbr member
    Dude, that is a great story. I love that they would let you take a bike out and ride it. Turner is a bike company that treats you like an adult.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Must be nice to live so close to turner hq. Ummm... wait a minute. I couldn't afford it. : o
    This.

Great write up, I bet the old bike will be gathering dust in no time...