Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bored to Death.

Bite Me.

Bored to Death.

This winter absolutely sucks. Freezing cold or rotten slush - it's too nasty to ride out. I've gotten a couple rides on the plowed bike path near the house (loads of fun on the RFX ), but it's basically a zero ride winter. So it's 3 mornings a week at the gym - 20 minutes of cardio on the stationary bike, 25 minutes of free weights and and another half hour on the indoor climbing wall - the wall is fun, but even that gets old. Skiing is pretty good, but after 45 yrs of it, it's gotten kind of dull. What do you guys do to maintain your riding sanity until the season returns? (thanks for all the stoke by the way - it helps a little)
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    What do you guys do to maintain your riding sanity until the season returns? (thanks for all the stoke by the way - it helps a little)
    C'mon Cutty, it's pretty simple really....build up a new bike

Outcast
    This winter absolutely sucks. What do you guys do to maintain your riding sanity until the season returns?
    I have winter hobbies.

I drink [more].
    I go to the trendy whole foods supermarket and spend hours following around all the hot babes in the store. It gets real crowded in there sometimes.
    I get depressed.
    I despair.

I barely maintain any sanity, let alone riding sanity.
    Yea, winter sucks.

Outcast
    Quote Originally Posted by jncarpenter
    Oh, I do this too. That's why I'm dragging out this 5 spot build so long; the buzz has to last me two to three more months.

Bite Me.
    That worked for awhile - the RFX has a new Spot SS, a new set of wheels coming, new Elixirs, etc. But even that is wearing thin - with 5 bikes already in the stable, I can't see getting another too soon and the work shop is poorly heated. Besides, what niche is left to fill? I have the Sultan, the RFX, the 29er SS, the fendered commuter and the uber light road bike - what else is there besides a recumbent (and I ain't going there ).
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    That worked for awhile - the RFX has a new Spot SS, a new set of wheels coming, new Elixirs, etc. But even that is wearing thin - with 5 bikes already in the stable, I can't see getting another too soon and the work shop is poorly heated. Besides, what niche is left to fill? I have the Sultan, the RFX, the 29er SS, the fendered commuter and the uber light road bike - what else is there besides a recumbent (and I ain't going there ).
    Is the 29er SS custom? My current winter "project" is

Bite Me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    I have winter hobbies.

I drink [more].
    Me too. Lately I've been quaffing a big Manhattan then taking the hatchet up on the roof to chop out ice dams - it's more like a sport that way and moderately exciting (at least according to my wife and kids).

Bite Me.
    Is the 29er SS custom?
    What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just roll it......
    What about a trip south to cure the "no ride" blues?

Certainly, a few days in Phoenix and/or Sedona would help lift one's' spirits!

illiterate or intoxicated
    Try some different types of skiing: back country, cross country (classic or skating), or hippy skiing (telemark). Back country is most like mountain biking to me, slave uphill to enjoy the descent. Cross country skiing is like road cycling, smooth and fast on artificially created tracks. Tele is what is it, unnecessary.

What about snow shoeing?

I have not been on a bike since the day after Thanksgiving and I don't expect to be on one until March. Just the facts of life 'round here. I cannot "do" the gym, I have to be outside. If there is snow on the ground then I am sliding across it in one way or another for exercise and sanity.

I hope you figure it out before you go postal.
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

mtbr member
    What do you think?
    So...get busy already!!!

NOT Team Sanchez
    duh.........you go ride in the 50 degree sunshine, yeah I'm a jerk
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

The way I see it you got only two choices

1) Get on your trainer, ride vigorously watching "Buffy The Musical" for an hour. I just did that very same thing and it works for me.

2) Just go to Moab and have a good time.

Simple.

OK, ok, here's the opening song for "Buffy The Musical":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJvu6-TYJAQ
    Last edited by xcguy; 04-03-2011 at 11:01 AM.
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

illiterate or intoxicated
    Or, you could take the magical flying dog to the circus and make some cash.
    "One often finds their destiny on the road taken to avoid it" - Master Ugway

Bike Snob
    What do you think?
    This was my winter project. I will ride it three days this week though, sorry.

phpjqOCzgPM.jpg

mtbr member
    Well the good news is.... as I sit at my desk it's 5:30 pm and I can see some blue sky still on the western horizon.... whereas a week or two ago it was already pitch dark at this time. The bad news is, it's 15 degrees out and there's still a foot of snow on everything. Baby steps. Spring is getting closer.

I do what many have suggested. Hit the trainer, despair, ride on the road (ack), I even ran on my wife's treadmill yesterday (I don't think I've ran in like 10 years.... I think my legs almost forgot how)......but mostly I dream of another trip south (Vegas, St. George, Phoenix).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

That doggie is riding my Superlight

Quote Originally Posted by windhoar
    That empty bike stand next to him? The Burner resides there when not in my Element waiting for the winds to subside and the temps to rise ( [SIZE="1"]maybe saturday[/SIZE])
    A blind man searches in a dark room for a black hat that isn't there. Dashiell Hammett

Never enough time to ride
    Hmm, I've been pretty fortunate so far and have been able to at least ride to work most of the winter. But I have to admit when the temps hit -60 or better, I fire up the old Nissan.

But for the most part, I play way to much Xbox, eat way to much crap food, and drink way too much beer. How's that for a winter hobby?

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

not so super...

LOL

Expert Crasher
    What do you think?
    I think you wussed out and went with a squishy fork

Fully Rigid - The Jury's Still Out

Thanks for all the good input - I am going to stick with the rigid set up, but go to the bigger WTB 2.55 tire - I didn't realize it was the same weight as the Rampage - I guess I was thinking of the Stout which is about 950g. With the bigger tire and little lower pressure I think I can get it dialed in better. It definitely makes you a more precise and stronger rider which translates well when I hop on the full suspension rig. Plus I can ride year round on the SS and not worry too much about road slime and snow mucking up the suspension and drive train. It's all good.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mr. wonderful
    Tele is what is it, unnecessary.
    The best things in life are ALL unnecessary Anyway, it's just one more turn in the arsenal. Where you find tele unnecessary, I find alpine and AT limiting and kind of boring.

Somedays (read white room) there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN LIFE better than tele.

~~~~~~~~
    I moved.
    sanity remains questionable

mtbr member

Also bored - too hot to ride

I've got the opposite problem in Australia - 109 degrees outside and it's 8pm. Can't get on the bike without getting fried. Luckily it won't last - next week it'll be 95 degrees, cool weather

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by xcguy
    1) Get on your trainer, ride vigorously watching "Buffy The Musical" for an hour. I just did that very same thing and it works for me.
    you need some serious help pal. that was terrible.
    No, I'm NOT back!

MTB B'dos
    I see no mention of a PUGS and if you suffer winter and don't have any other hobbies besides biking then they're a must Come on build up a nice Pugs and go enjoy the snow Can't help with the freezing, it hasn't dropped below 24C here in a while pretty much sun every day, but also enough rain to keep the trails that nasty, sticky way. but riding the road is OK for now.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast