I just wanna go fast...

Boneheaded older RFX questions

This may have been covered at length a couple years back, but for one reason or another I can never seem to get results when I use the search function.

I've got an 07, or maybe 06 RFX that I set my dad up with when he got too old for his hard core XC bike. I've heard of people swapping in some 5 spot parts to get slacker geometry, but I don't know enough about turners to know which parts and where the heck to get them.

I'm guessing the rockers for sure, but do I also need to swap in a 5 spot rear triangle? Can I use the same length and stroke shock or will I need a new one? And last but not least, where the heck can I get these parts? Do I need to just keep watching forum classifieds to see if anyone is selling them or can I order the parts from turner still?

Thanks for putting up with a Turner noob

mtbr member
    if it's an 07 all bets are off - 06 you can frankenbike...post a pic of the bike

I just wanna go fast...
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks
    if it's an 07 all bets are off - 06 you can frankenbike...post a pic of the bike
    It's down at my dad's house in so cal. I'm visiting them for easter, so I figured I'd try to get some of the parts together and set it up when I'm down there.

I think it might be older than I originally thought- the rockers are solid with no holes machined in them, so I'm guessing an 06 or older? It's not a horst-link, if that helps too...

*EDIT*
    Just dug through a bunch of pics. It's definitely an 06

~~~~~~~~
    if it's an 07 all bets are off
    why's that?
    the 07 can be fit with a custom shock with a slightly reduced eye to eye.

I just wanna go fast...
    Saw the 5.5 rockers on turner's store. Can I just get those and swap out the old rockers? Or do I need to do something else as well?

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen
    Saw the 5.5 rockers on turner's store. Can I just get those and swap out the old rockers? Or do I need to do something else as well?
    yes. if you want lower and slacker still then get a spot seat stay.

I just wanna go fast...
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    yes. if you want lower and slacker still then get a spot seat stay.
    Does Turner still stock older spot seat stays?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    why's that?
    the 07 can be fit with a custom shock with a slightly reduced eye to eye.
    good point - I was responding in terms of swapping stays etc...but you are obviously quite correct - an Avy 7.775 X 2.25 would slacken and lower a 07/08 RFX.

mtbr member
    Does Turner still stock older spot seat stays?
    They may or may not but they are most likely not for sale and reserved for crash replacements.

Here is a summary of the mods on a '06 RFX:

- Both the RFX and 5 Spot have the same shock length so no change in shock is required. If you do replace the original rockers with 5.5in rockers, you will most likely drop ~50lbs/in in spring rate.

- The '06 Spot seatstay is the most effective way to lower the bike and slacken the front end a bit. The 5.5in rockers do not change geometry appreciably but give more progressive travel than the RFX rockers. Pedaling performance is better with the 5.5in rockers, but the ride is plusher with RFX rockers.

- You can run either the RFX or Spot chainstay with the Spot seatstay. The RFX chainstay (longer) gives a more stable ride at high speed or in chunky terrain and has more tire clearance. The shorter Spot chainstay gives snappier handling.

I just wanna go fast...
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    They may or may not but they are most likely not for sale and reserved for crash replacements.

Here is a summary of the mods on a '06 RFX:

- Both the RFX and 5 Spot have the same shock length so no change in shock is required. If you do replace the original rockers with 5.5in rockers, you will most likely drop ~50lbs/in in spring rate.

- The '06 Spot seatstay is the most effective way to lower the bike and slacken the front end a bit. The 5.5in rockers do not change geometry appreciably but give more progressive travel than the RFX rockers. Pedaling performance is better with the 5.5in rockers, but the ride is plusher with RFX rockers.

- You can run either the RFX or Spot chainstay with the Spot seatstay. The RFX chainstay (longer) gives a more stable ride at high speed or in chunky terrain and has more tire clearance. The shorter Spot chainstay gives snappier handling.
    Nice, you rock.

so... who wants to sell me some spot seatstays?

Bite Me.
    ??? I ran Spot stays and 5.5 rockers on my '07 w/o problems. I swapped back to the stock rockers but it was fine
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat
    ??? I ran Spot stays and 5.5 rockers on my '07 w/o problems. I swapped back to the stock rockers but it was fine
    If that achieved lower and slacker over stock geometry I'll get my coat and promise to never answer a lower and slacker RFX question again!

I just wanna go fast...
    Cutthroat- Sounds like spot stays on a 07 are a bad idea, sell me yours.

Bite Me.
    Cutthroat- Sounds like spot stays on a 07 are a bad idea, sell me yours.
    The RFX now resides in Arizona regrettably. I realize now it was a mistake to part with it. Greg at Turner actually sold me the stays - I assume they came off a trade-in. Give him a shout, maybe he can find some for you. They also show up on Ebay, but rarely.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

Flyin Canine
    Brian, check out this thread. Looks like you might have a lead. btw, nice job getting your dad on a turner. Your next! DHR here we come.

Devil Mtn
    Anybody happen to know the geometry changes (angles) for the 06 RFX with:

a) 5.5 rockers
    b) spot seatstays
    c) both

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by reklar
    Anybody happen to know the geometry changes (angles) for the 06 RFX with:

a) 5.5 rockers
    b) spot seatstays
    c) both
    06 RFX/5 pack leverage curves and geometry measurements