DGC
    mtbr member

Good job! bomber Shore stem

Since I just got a new camera a week ago, a Canon G7, and this nice new stem just came in for me, I thought I would share a few pix and info since we all are looking for either UGI related parts or changes in the controls that you may need especially with X-mas coming up....!!!!
    The Thomson 90 mm was a touch too long for me, the WTB TXC stem fits nice (80x6), but a bit too thin and too light for my liking on a 5 1/2 Spot. So I finally found an option with Blackspire. Problem is, no black in the 80x10. So I took the last 80mm stem in their building in a silver. Since some of you seem to be building a beefier 5-6 Spot/RFX bike, here is something worth looking into. I should have taken the face plate off and showed you the inside. Machined out very little-once the stem narrows down from the bar clamping area, it basically is nearly solid the length of the stem. Very smooth edges all around.
    Weight: 222 grams for a 80x10, which is heavy-ish compared to my 90x15 Thomson that came in around 175 grams. It makes the TXC look like it should only be on a xc race bike, this Blackspire Shore stem is burly. It might look xc like, but it is far beyond that.
    4 bolts total 5mm hex head, 2 on the face plate for the bars as well as 2 on the steerer.
    Blackspire says a long long time before he makes black again, he needs enough orders to make another run. Soooo.......get on the phone and call them get them to make some by spring next year. You harder riders on Spots and RFX's.....you want one of these.
    Oh yeah, he says he has in stock some 90mm in black, I didnt ask about other sizes. It comes in 70, 80, 90, 100 mm length and rise options are 0, 10, 20 degree black or silver.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    OUCH...!!!!!!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Looks cool and strong!

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    that stem is sick! looks incredible. too bad they dont have white. the weight on it is good too as far as i am concerned for a manly stem like that.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Nice, I was in the market for a cool stem in an 80mm length also for my RFX, getting a new fork and wanted something less XC looking to go with it, I was running a standard RF forged stem. Looked around everywhere and couldn't find anything trick so ended up going with the Easton Vise, cool looking stem but I was hoping for something nicer. The FSA FR stems look nice but they only had a 70 and 90, few others in 75 too but no 80. The Vise is noticably heavier at 275g but I'm already adding weight with the fork and the total gain will only be 1/2lb which is fine with me.

Team Sanchez
    That's a great looking stem. I'll have a look at one of those when the time comes to build up the Highline. On a side note, I heard that LIttle Sanchez came in for a visit a few weeks back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DGC
    4 bolts total 5mm hex head, 2 on the face plate for the bars as well as 2 on the steerer.
    Isn't it a bit strange that they mount the face plate with only two bolts. Especially on a FR type stem?

Will they be offering a 31.8 clamp? Their website doesn't say if it's even an option at this point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    The FSA FR stems look nice but they only had a 70 and 90, few others in 75 too but no 80.
    Now that you mention it I remember liking the Gravity Light that I saw on the demo Highline at THC.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG
    Now that you mention it I remember liking the Gravity Light that I saw on the demo Highline at THC.
    still not white though....

Just roll it......
    Isn't it a bit strange that they mount the face plate with only two bolts. Especially on a FR type stem?
    That's what I was thinking as well. I'm pretty much sold on 4 bolt stems.

EBX

DGC
    mtbr member

its fine

Will they be offering a 31.8 clamp? Their website doesn't say if it's even an option at this point.
    I would bet if enough request came in for it, they would do 31.8.....As far as 2 bolt vs. 4 on a FR stem, I kinda like 2 if it is built well enough. I have seen enough stripped M5 Thomson, Ritchey, FSA etc bolts and threads to want to try the 2 bolt style again. The M6 bolts are just a nice step up in strength and bigger threads.
    The Thomson face plate has contact with the bar at either end, 1/2 inch in width contacts. This stem has full contact all the way across the width of the face plate, and it is not contoured inwards like some xc stems are, the plate is thick and strong looking. It also looks like they were going to try 4 bolts on it at one time if you look where the threads are.
    It may turn out to be nothing great at all, but it sure looks like a winner to me.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

DGC
    mtbr member

nice

I did look at those before buying the Blackspire, very solid looking and with the bigger M6 hardware. If they offered an 80mm length I would have tried it.
    OUCH...!!!!!!

Xtremely Moderate
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme
    That's what I was thinking as well. I'm pretty much sold on 4 bolt stems.

EBX
    Howz aboot 6?
    I scavenged my 60mm Azonic FR stem & 31.6 Diabolous bar from my VP-Free and put it on my RFX. Looks pretty snazzy w/ El C's 66 light.

"Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"