Thread: The Blue Burner

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The Blue Burner

Just finished building it up last week and now ready to show it off. First time in a long time I have been on a "short" travel bike. It is an excellent climber (very little if any noticable bob) and more important I was suprised how well it can handle the technical rough stuff.

The build and the pics

Large Burner Frame
    Fox Talas RLC
    Mavic 219/King Iso wheelset
    Hope Mono Mini
    King Headset
    XT cranks/bb
    Shimano fr der.
    Sram X-9 triggers
    Sram XO rear der.
    Thomson stem/seatpost
    WTB laser saddle
    Monkeylite bar
    Kenda 2.1 Nevegals
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nice build. I'm curious about a couple of things; what does it weigh with the Float and Mono Mini's, and how are you liking the Nevegals?
    Last edited by CrashTheDOG; 04-30-2004 at 11:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    How do you like the Talas, does the bike feel okay with it at 125 mm or is it floppy? It sure looks nice, I had a hard time deciding red or blue and went red, still not sure it was the right choice.

No, that's not phonetic
    I know why you guys like your Burners. I ride my XCE on occassion and have to say I think it handles certain types of trails even better than my Spot, and that is with a 125mm Vanilla on the XCE and a rear shock which is a technological dinosaur by today's standards. My XCE with a 125mm fork has the same geometry as your Burner would, and though for a long time I didn't like it over 4" up front, I am starting to dig it more and more. I also have the Hopey on the XCE now and that dampens any floppy feel out of the steering. An adjustable travel fork would be the way to go.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 04-30-2004 at 12:39 PM.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not sure on the weight. My guess it is somewhere in the 27-28lbs range. I just know it is lighter than my other bike (see pic below).
    The bike handles great. I heard a lot of good revues on the Kenda Nevegals and Blue grooves. So far I am very happy with how the nevegals hook up (3 decent rides). They are great for the long steep climbs. They really hook up on the loose gravel. They fly through the hardpack singletrack and on places where you would worry about washout I have been able to go through without worry and have had no problems with them. They are nice and wide for a 2.1. Look to be wider than the WTB 2.24 I was planning to use.
    The Talas is smooth. Haven't run in the 125mm mode yet. The trails I have taken the bike it on haven't really called for it. Tried 80-100mm and it isn't floppy at all. If I try at 125mm I will let you know how it handles.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

So....

being someone that owns both a turner and a ventana, how would you compare the two? I know one is more xc and the other more FR-ish, but compare them anyway. :-)

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by antman
    Not sure on the weight. My guess it is somewhere in the 27-28lbs range. I just know it is lighter than my other bike (see pic below).
    The bike handles great. I heard a lot of good revues on the Kenda Nevegals and Blue grooves. So far I am very happy with how the nevegals hook up (3 decent rides). They are great for the long steep climbs. They really hook up on the loose gravel. They fly through the hardpack singletrack and on places where you would worry about washout I have been able to go through without worry and have had no problems with them. They are nice and wide for a 2.1. Look to be wider than the WTB 2.24 I was planning to use.
    The Talas is smooth. Haven't run in the 125mm mode yet. The trails I have taken the bike it on haven't really called for it. Tried 80-100mm and it isn't floppy at all. If I try at 125mm I will let you know how it handles.