mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Blackspire Stinger with Race Face Atlas cranks installed _without_ a grinder

I've had a Blackspire Stinger (BB-style) sitting in a box since early last year due to the interference issues I'd read about with the Race Face X-type cranks. Bikezilla's Highline chainline thread reminded me that I needed to experiment with the Race Face's spacers to see if I could minimize the amount of grinding I'd need to do to get the Stinger to work.

And after a little experimentation, I found no grinding of the chain ring bolts was required at all!, as well as no reducing the thickness of the Stinger as it replaced the slightly smaller BB spacer.

[the ICSG tabs are crooked relative to the BB shell]

My 6-Pack BB shell measured 72.6mm, on the lower end of Race Face's 72.25-73.25 required tolerance. The Stinger measured 3.17mm (0.125") thick, 0.67mm more than the existing 2.5mm BB spacer. The combined BB shell width + extra thickness of the Stinger put me at the top of Race Face's tolerance, within range of what the chainline spacers could then accomodate.

The stock Race Face non-driveside crank arm has a 3.5mm rubber elastomer installed, though they include a 2.5mm thick replacement in case your BB shell is too wide and out of tolerance. Replacing the elastomer let me put an additional 1mm spacer on the drive side, which moved the arm out far enough to not cause chainring bolt interference (and I'm hoping also improves the dual-ring chainline).

mtbr member
    nice work, I have never been able to get that combo to work. I have to use a heim guide, but will have to do something for my sultan soon. I may try the stinger again soon,,,

thanks for posting